Well I have been using Blizzaks on my car for the past 6-7 years and I would say that they have been very good in snow, but no good on freshly fallen snow over the top of black ice, in fact useless!

Having said that I think the Yokohama tyres will be good also.

I used to have bridgestone summer tyres but changed to Yokohama as the garage recommended them over the bridgestones as they are harder wearing but at the same time more grippy.

I would say he was spot on because I can throw the car into corners harder in the wet with the Yokohamas than the Bridgestones.

My winter tyres need changing, so whether I change my car or not I am thinking about getting Yokohama winter tyres too, but I will ask when I buy!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I li

I just get whatever tyres come with the car when I buy it. I haven't had any one car long enough yet to actually need to buy new tyres before getting a new (2nd hand) car.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I just get whatever tyres come with the car when I buy it. I haven't had any one car long enough yet to actually need to buy new tyres before getting a new (2nd hand) car.

Haha yes thats what I have done until now but this time keeping this car as I like it and it's in good condition.

I'm going to wait until December this year, unless the roads to the ski areas ice up earlier. But I don't live in snow country.

Last year did it in November, and felt like an idiot for my first two trips out, as they were completely unnecessary. Want them to last as many seasons as possible.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Does it really wear them down if there's no snow then?

Sure. I go over a mountain pass everyday to work and the only snow and ice we get is at the top so generally lots of regular black top driving. I go through tires and brakes at about double the normal rate. For most of the year I have BF Goodrich TA's (THE best and coolest looking offroad tire) which wear really well as they have pretty beefy hard tread. But the winter tires get trashed pretty quickly.
Worn down Blizzaks are still very sticky and better than a good all season radial. They kinda remind me of the slicks we used back in the 1/8th mile racing days....lol.

I often end up changing mine in a panic when the first real snow comes and thinking doh while I get it done.

Wonder if I'll do the same this year.

Maybe not seeing as though I need to buy some new babies.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Cool looking tyres?! wink

As tires go...of course. I think they're the only tire left on the market with the raised lettering painted white. Spiffy tires indeed.

all-terrain-t-a-ko.jpg
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
OK so I really need to change my snow tyres this year.

But I know very little about them. Actually not really anything, tyres don't particularly interest me.

Anyone really into this and perhaps explain or recommend any? Or is it just a case of they are pretty much all the same just different brands and a bit of a difference in price?

I went to my local trusted garage yesterday and they gave me a quote on the set. Don't know whether to get into it or just go "yep that sounds good get it done".

There's plenty of tosh about tyres. Any reputable brand will give you approximately similar performance. A no-name brand Made-in-Japan will come from Bridgestone or Yokohama. Don't be fooled into paying excess money for miracles.

I went for Goodyear on the K-car, as I got a good deal on them, and we mainly use it locally only. I used to always use Goodyear back in the UK and found them to be great so I decided to try them, of course they were normal tyres not snow tyres that I had in the UK. I was told that they are not as good as Bridgestones but not far behind and still more than ok for local driving, especially as our k-car is also 4wd.

For our other car I will go for Bridgestone or Yokohama??? Not decided yet, as I said in a previous post, I have yokohama normal tyres which are better than the bridgestone normal tyres, but not sure if the winter tyres will be the same.

• 2 months later...

Man, these snow tires are expensive. I was looking at buying a set after a little spin out this weekend and can't believe the lack of competitive pricing. In this area 90% of shops have only Bridgestone tires which happen to be far and away the most expensive... oh well...