• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I li

Thanks Chriselle. If the rubber is only good for three years, then it seems like a waste of money to even buy summer tires at all if there is no safety issue.

(I don't do summer off-roading. I also don't have a spare set of rims, so the cost of changing tires twice a year is rather high.)

I don't know about that though. When winter comes around for the 2nd or 3rd time on that all year set of tires....Id be a little freaked out. At some point your gummy winter tires will turn into something more akin to an all season radial. :confused: :shifty:

How much is fuel economy changed by the type of tyre?

From what I can tell, it seems to be less than 10%. Maybe more like 5%?

I thought it was around that, too. It would be interesting to figure out the difference in economy and compare it to the cost of tire changes, buying an extra set of rims and all that. I only get around 7.0k/l so 5 to10 % is pretty significant. And..Because they charge me the same rate to change my big ass tires as they do smaller vehicles and these tires tend to last longer.... I think it's better to keep doing the seasonal changes.

My car always feels different when I change tyres.

Do they mess with balance or something with the tyre change or is it just because of their grip/whatever?

As you can tell, I know nothing.

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I like the summer tires because they are much taller and fatter....the winter tires makes it kind of girly looking... ;)

dd58f23d.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Chriselle. If the rubber is only good for three years, then it seems like a waste of money to even buy summer tires at all if there is no safety issue.

(I don't do summer off-roading. I also don't have a spare set of rims, so the cost of changing tires twice a year is rather high.)

I don't know about that though. When winter comes around for the 2nd or 3rd time on that all year set of tires....Id be a little freaked out. At some point your gummy winter tires will turn into something more akin to an all season radial. :confused: :shifty:

Ah, so using the winter tires over the summer causes the rubber to harden faster?

That would be a consideration.

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I like the summer tires because they are much taller and fatter....the winter tires makes it kind of girly looking... ;)

dd58f23d.jpg

Actually your winter tyres should be taller but slightly narrower than the summer tyres. I run 18 " rims with 235/50 profile summer tyres and 16" rims with 215/80 profile winter tyres. Having higher walled winter tyres makes them softer and more plyable, helping to enforce the grip. Narrower tyres also helps to cut through the snow! Low profile tyres are harder so offer less grip in snow. Of course this is opposite in dry weather and cornering in dry.

Those winter tires are 265/70R/15's. They are on the stock LandCruiser rims. My summer tires are big knobby 265/80R's on offroad alumi 16" rims. My point was the winter tires are the spec tires for the vehicle. The summer tires are just bigger and badass.

These tires (winter and summer) and the LC is bull low 4wd can pretty go anywhere as long as I have clearance. Lots of fun...

LandCruisers are fun. Almost as fun as the old Land Rovers (traditional British Leyland type, not the suburbanized Range Rovers).

Good fun on an old logging trail or abandoned road. Fallen tree in the way? No problem, just climb over it.

Wouldn't expect much in the way of fuel efficiency, though. Actually surprised you get as much as 7 or 8 km/l.

I almost bought a Defender before I decided on the LC. It was just a bit too expensive and too many issues that I'd heard about. Damned sexy looking off roader though. I'd still like to get one some day.

Those winter tires are 265/70R/15's. They are on the stock LandCruiser rims. My summer tires are big knobby 265/80R's on offroad alumi 16" rims. My point was the winter tires are the spec tires for the vehicle. The summer tires are just bigger and badass.

These tires (winter and summer) and the LC is bull low 4wd can pretty go anywhere as long as I have clearance. Lots of fun...

Im with you.

My car had a good test the other day when we went camping, went down and up a very steep dirt track and then across a very bumpy track around a corner and over a deep ridge and a over a tree stumps, rocks, no end of deep holes and ridges. It didn't even think about it!

Also while I was reversing I accidentally run over a log dividing the camping spaces which was next to a 30 cm dip. Wasn't until my wife asked me why did you do that, that I even realised!

I did think to myself then, I am glad I am in this car and not a normal road car, would have been calling JAF!

Sometimes wonder if you put all the big 4x4's together in a off road test just how much difference would there actually be? That would be something that I would like someone to do, don't mind taking part in that myself.

Actually one small 4x4 that (might) put all the big 4x4 to shame is the Suzuki jimny, I have seen vids of what that can do, and it is truly amazing where that thing will go!

I'm with ya Snowdude.

If I recall you have the new D5 Delica right? I looked at those, too. Awesome vehicle. We have an offroaders 4x4 shop here in Mishima called "Joint" and they do some fantastic work on upgrading suspensions and well...anything 4wd. There are a few new D5's around that have had some work done on them and they look really badass. I don't like the full blown stuff....just slightly modified like a 2 inch lift with upgraded shocks and torsion arms. Jimnys are great except they roll. Centers of gravity are too high even on the stock ones. Lift them up and they roll going around sharp corners....

They have an offroad challenge course just a few Kms from my house (Mobility Park) and have competitions/exhibitions quite often. The modified Jeeps and LandCruisers always do very well due to their wider wheel base ....the Suzukis ...not so well... The lack of wheelbase means theres no room for flex in the suspension ..tippy...and they lack the torque when in the rocks. I'd still love to have one though.... ;)

Check out these Joint movies...

http://www.joint-offroad.com/mvie.html

I almost bought a Defender before I decided on the LC. It was just a bit too expensive and too many issues that I'd heard about. Damned sexy looking off roader though. I'd still like to get one some day.

So that's what they are called these days, Defenders? First car I ever learned to drive (back when they were just "Land Rovers"). Also drove a LandCruiser for work at one point. Both great vehicles, very similar (I have always assumed that the LandCruiser was modeled after the Land Rover), but for ease of maintenance I would definitely lean towards the LandCruiser. Land Rover maintenance costs will eat you alive.

(Come to think of it, came this close to dying in both vehicles, but in the Land Rover's case it was the Land Rover's fault -- rusted out tie-rod -- while in the LandCruiser's case it was the oncoming trucker's fault.)

Yes thats right I have the new D5

The land crusier that you have is also a great vehicle too, built like tanks. They did a crash test on one once on Top Gear, they drove it through a brick wall and except for some dents and scratches, it was able to be driven away as if nothing had happened.

Before buying the D5 I looked at and test drove both the LC and the Pajero. I especially liked the the fact that the Pajero had a diesel engine, it was the 3L I test drove and it had some serious pulling power, would sit you back in your seat from any speed and gear.

In the end I went for the D5, because wanted something with some serious boot space and a car that I we can sleep in sometimes.

I really wished they put diesel engines in the D5, which I don't really know why they don't as the old models had them.

I too would like to have a land rover, still considered the best 4x4 ever, but thought the running costs would be far to much and wouldn't merit the extra dosh!

Ya....some dream of Ferraris or Maclarens.....(they are nice for sure) I dream of old Land Rovers with the spare tire on the front hood and the safari windows. Next is the the old FJ LandCruisers.....ah one day.