• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I li

Obviously, if you owned a Robin Reliant, you would make a saving of 800 yen and only need to cough up 2400 yen!

Taking into account that you need to switch back again after winter, that's a whopping saving of 1600 yen a year!

Definitely worth considering when in the market for a new car in Snow Country.

:thumbsup:

RobinReliantSWNS_450x300.jpg

• 3 months later...

How did that idea become a reality anyway?! :lol:

If I remember the Top Gear episode that had a Robin Relaint on it, the idea came about because you didn't need a full car licence to drive one.

There was a queue at the local stand today, I think they were for tyres.

Wonder why all at once... was it announced on the tv or something? ;)

I think once it becomes warm for a few days in spring most think winter is surely over and rush to change their tyres!

I will change my tyres/wheels this weekend! No mad rush for me as I change them myself!

• 4 months later...

A question for the experts (hi Chriselle! :wave: ):

So, both my summer tires and winter tires have reached the end of their service lives this year. The summer tires suffered belt-separation (or something like that, not sure of the proper term) in November, prompting an early switch to winter tires, and the winter tires are old enough (about 5 years?) that they have become hardened, and I have been warned not to use them next season. I have been using my winter tires through the summer so far.

The thing that strikes me is that both sets of tires basically aged to death, with plenty of tread remaining. So.... I am thinking of just buying winter tires this Fall, and using them year-round. Figuring that the treads will probably last about as long as the rubber does, so this saves the twice-yearly tire-changing cost. Issues I see with this approach:

1) Fuel consumption. This would be worse than necessary in summer (shoganai in winter), but I do most of my long-distance driving in the winter (for, you know, skiing), and I don't think the fuel economy gets bad enough to overcome the cost of changing tires twice a year, from what I can tell, so this seems a wash. Unless I am fooling myself?

2) Safety. Is there any serious safety issue with using winter tires in the summer?

Opinions?

You can do it. ..... but. Three years is around the max for winter tires so why don't you try that cycle. Three years of switching then using the spent winter tires the rest of that year. That's what I'm doing although I get a few more years out of my summer knobby offroad tires. No worries on the safety front.

Thanks Chriselle. If the rubber is only good for three years, then it seems like a waste of money to even buy summer tires at all if there is no safety issue.

(I don't do summer off-roading. I also don't have a spare set of rims, so the cost of changing tires twice a year is rather high.)