OK so I really need to change my snow tyres this year.

But I know very little about them. Actually not really anything, tyres don't particularly interest me.

Anyone really into this and perhaps explain or recommend any? Or is it just a case of they are pretty much all the same just different brands and a bit of a difference in price?

I went to my local trusted garage yesterday and they gave me a quote on the set. Don't know whether to get into it or just go "yep that sounds good get it done".

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I li

What size do you need? Depending on the tire you could check out Yahoo auctions. Sometimes there are good deals to be had for tires used for a season or two. Anything older and the rubber starts to harden up. If buying new definitely shop around.

Thanks Chriselle... but you have totally lost me there!

Why would I want to buy second hand tyres?

The ones I have are old, the reason I need to change is because I need new ones!

The idea of faffing about on auctions and the like does not appeal either. I think I'd rather just go to these guys with instructions to get it done while I have a cup of coffee and read the "Sports" newspaper.

Because snow tires last several seasons and you can get very good quality tires at usually less than half you'd pay for new. I bought new last season but the set of tires I got before that had one season on them and still had the little rubber stubbies on them. Got them for about 30% new.

If you have a small car the savings aren't really worth the effort....thus I inquired as to what you're driving..but IF you drive a Land Cruiser like me then your talking "new iPad" kind of savings.

confused

No still not getting you!

Snow tyres don't last that long when you live in snow country, perhaps yours don't get worn down as much.

Buying used ones not only sounds like a lot of hassle and making me do it more often but also false economy.

I like Ipad type savings! Even if you don't want s/h rubber, some s/h wheels will save you a few trips to nice yakiniku.

Loads of chains on Yahoo Auctions too if city folks are reading this. My car came with some s/h chains I don't need and look unused, but it looks like I wouldn't get 1000 yen for them. Something similar in Autobacs goes for well over 10,000 yen.

muika there's a place near me that does new tyres for great prices.

You'll be able to have ipad type savings - and also be able to buy ipad2 when others need to replace their worn out second-hands sooner than you do! Bargain.

Give me a call thumbsup

Not sure if you have Autobacs in Niigata, but if you do go there from now until around mid november you can get a set of tyres cheaper than if you wait until december, as they will be selling last years un sold stock first at a cheaper price to get rid of them for the new stock.

They are perfectly good brand new tyres, the only reason they are cheaper is because they are last years model. Unless you absolutely must have the latest model you might want to try that.

I too have to buy two sets of snow tyres this year for two cars, even if I do change the car, so I too am looking for the cheapest way.

In yamanashi Autobacs is probably going to be my best option, you may wish to try that too or what ever motorist shop you have there!

Thanks sanjo and snowdude.

Quote:
Unless you absolutely must have the latest model you might want to try that.

lol Not at all, like I said I'm not interested in the subject of tyres really, its just something I have to do.

Ta!

Muika, for example.. These are just from a random yahoo tire page I picked out. Snow country or not the economics are sound if you know what you're looking for and are interested in tires... wink

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n93751494

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e108298547

Originally Posted By: sanjo
muika there's a place near me that does new tyres for great prices.
You'll be able to have ipad type savings - and also be able to buy ipad2 when others need to replace their worn out second-hands sooner than you do! Bargain.
Give me a call thumbsup

rolleyes Really. Look..I know tires....just trust me..I KNOW tires.

Er, good for you! wink

I don't and don't want to!

The thought of spending my time on auctions of all places to try and bag some second hand tyres actually makes me laugh.

If it floats your particular boat though, so be it!

cheers

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Are they your tyres you're trying to flog Chriselle?! lol

Noooo....

Mine are on the next page.. wink

No, I don't have a horse in this but I was in the business and kinda know whats up with tires. That's all....over and out.

Hey, I'd like to appologize to Muika for my persistence on the "old stock/used" thing. That avenue isn't for everyone.

Big-will....depends on the car and where you are doing your winter driving. Tire models based on conditions are different in Hokkaido than they are for Honshu. The Bridgestone Blizzak series sets the bar but any of the other major companies (Toyo, Yokohama, Falken and Dunlop) in Japan have their contenders. Falken and Dunlop (Graspic series) seem to focus on "performance" which I've found kinda perplexing....I just want sticky not a glorified all season tire. I would stay away from the budget Korean Kumho or Hankook like you can get at Autobacs but even those companies have a few nicer models.

I have Toyo Tranpaths on my Landcruiser and they are pretty good with a good balance between softness and durability. The Blizzaks I had on before were too soft for Shizuoka driving and didn't wear as well. Blizzaks are GREAT tires but they ain't cheap and they don't quite last as long as some of the others.

You really cant go wrong with new tires from the major brands.

Some tires though are better for black ice and some handle the

deep snow better. Your local guys would stock more tires that would

suit your area. I have had blizzaks, Toyo and Yokohama tires and all have seemed about the same.