this happened last year, but its on again this week and there will be paramedics on stand by....

]Two people have been taken to hospital following the "world's hottest chilli" competition at an Edinburgh Indian restaurant.[/size]

Emergency services were called to the Kismot restaurant in St Leonards Street on Saturday afternoon after some competitors became "very unwell".

The competition involves people eating the "Kismot Killer" curry.

The Scottish Ambulance Service is now calling for a review into how the event is managed.

On the restaurant's website it insists that participants sign a legal disclaimer before taking part in the competition, which raises money for the Scottish children's charity Chas.

It is understood that members of the British Red Cross were on hand at the event, but the Scottish Ambulance Service still had to be called because two people had such a violent reaction.

Curie Kim, 21, an American student on an exchange to Edinburgh University, said she decided to enter the challenge when she saw it advertised in the restaurant.

She told the BBC Scotland's news website: "It was very painful and felt like I was being chainsawed in the stomach with hot sauce on the chainsaw.

"I have learned my lesson and will never do it again and, in fact, I will be cutting down on my spice intake full stop."

Ms Kim came second in the contest.

"The woman who won ate the last bowl in four seconds and then ran outside to be sick where as I didn't so I've learned I should have had a game plan like that," she said.

"There were three rounds and I managed half of the last bowl.

"I was in so much pain I wasn't aware of what was going on around me and when I got to hospital they gave me medicine for the indigestion.

"I don't think the restaurant should do it any more as I think there are a lot less painful ways to raise money for charity."

'Hands up'

Organiser Abdul Ali said: "The British Red Cross we had on board could not cope. We put our hands up. We did have to call the emergency services for a couple of our participants."

Mr Ali said he regretted that the services had to be called out on a busy Saturday.

He said all participants were now "fit and well" and more than £1,000 was raised for charity.

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: "Two patients were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after becoming very unwell at Kismot restaurant.

"We would urge the organisers to review the way in which this event is managed in future in order to avoid another situation where emergency ambulances are required to treat their customers."

Gordon Mackenzie, whose council ward covers the restaurant, called the event a "shambles" and said: "The owners owe a debt to the ambulance service, and I hope they'll find some way of making it up to them."

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

A PC who made a false police report that his iPhone had been stolen was caught after he used it to call his girlfriend.

PC Gareth Beard, 35, wanted a new iPhone so pretended his had been snatched in a McDonald’s and created a bogus crime report to back up his fictitious claims.

But the bungling policeman, who worked for the Met, was rumbled when the phone was used to call his girlfriend and home number after he reported it stolen in April 2010.

:doh:

And apparently, he doesn't have a beard.

People called "Beard" really should wear one. :grandpa:

Japan has reacted angrily to a French television host who showed a composite picture of national team goalkeeper Eiji Kawashima with four arms and made a joke about the "Fukushima effect".

Praising Kawashima's performance in Japan's 1-0 win over France in a friendly last Friday, Laurent Ruquier's wisecrack prompted laughter and applause in the studio.

On Tuesday, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura called Ruquier's remark, a reference to last year's nuclear crisis in Fukushima, "inappropriate". He added that the Japanese Embassy in France had sent a letter of protest to the television station France 2. The letter said the remark "hurts the feelings of people affected by the disaster and hinders efforts for reconstruction," Fujimura added.

The nuclear disaster was triggered by a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami in March last year. More than 15,000 people died and almost 3,000 are still unaccounted for.

Japan's education minister Makiko Tanaka, whose portfolio also includes sports, was far from amused. "If it's true [he said it] it is behaviour which lacks sensitivity," she said. "Many people were hurt in the nuclear crisis. I don't know how people can make fun of it."

Brain scans show that skipping breakfast makes fatty, high calorie foods appear far more attractive later in the day, according to researchers.

Scans of 21 people showed the brain was more attracted to food if breakfast was missed and people had more food at lunch.

Scientists said it made losing weight challenging as missing meals made calorific food even more appealing.

Nutrition experts say breakfast is known to take the edge off appetite.

I could have told them that! I could deffo be an "expert".

Cadbury cuts the size of Dairy Milk chocolate bar

:veryshocked:

(but keeps the price exactly the same!)

The classic bar has been shrunk from 49g to 45g as part of the re-launch as a new ‘curved’ shape

However the price remains the same at 59p

The heaviest woman in the world is using an unusual method to shed serious pounds - sex.

“I sweat off loads of calories,” 600-pound Pauline Potter revealed in an interview with UK magazine Closer this month. “I call it ‘sexercise.’”

Potter, 47, became the Guiness World Record holder for heaviest woman last year when she weighed in at 700 pounds, but she’s managed to lose nearly 100 pounds in the last year by rekindling her romance with her ex-husband Alex.

tumblr_lr9g7uwyhS1qcmrp8.jpg

z12111712xpauline-potter.jpg

It takes a lot to separate some people from their phones, but these excuses used to claim insurance on lost or broken handsets really make the mind boggle.

Website mobileinsurance has listed some of the most far-fetched claims it has received in the last twelve months, including phones baked into cakes, flushed down loos, and lost inside cows.

The company claims to have investigated every single one and many of the most bizarre claims were accepted.

Lost inside a cow

Baked into a cake

Flushed down a lavatory

Snatched by a seagull

Blasted by fireworks

Stolen by monkeys

Dropped from a tree

Thrown at a boyfriend

Worn out by 'intimate' use

Dropped overboard