I noticed the little hut with the Olympic rings, but I'd have thought there would have been more of an Olympic feel to Happo when I was there. There wasn't that much (that I was aware of anyway).

Wasn't there a problem before the Olympics about the length of the main downhill course as well - the Olympic people wanted it to start higher up or something but the Japanese said it couldn't go into some national park area or something. Can someone remind me of that?

\:\)

maybe the torch has to be removed, but if you ever visit Squaw Valley, USA, you'll see huge olympic rings at the entrance to the parking lot. Every visitor who puts Squaw on their tourist list knows it was an Olympic venue.

Same is true with the Hannenkahm. (which Zao so conviently named a run of thiers...)

Surely the torch has to be removed, but I have visited many other places that also ran downhills, etc. Surely starting gates are removed, but any resort that fails to use their Olympic venue as a marketing ploy sincerely lacks any marketing skills whatsoever.

I'll say it again; Nagano SERIOUSLY dropped the ball. You visit Nagano and you'll see rusty, empty buildings... and no skiers there because that destination has an Olympic quality.

I'm sorry, but Japan is not doing a good job of reminding people that they have world-class, olympic-quality venues.

I noticed in Nagano the stage where the athletes received their medals is now a carkpark, with the stage and 1st/2nd/3rd stands all still there. Really meant to get a photo of that it made me laugh.

The big problem with the Olympics here was, that they were held at the peak or near the peak of the bubble bursting. Very hard to make things work when the country is flat dead broke.

The womens start hut is still up.

Surely the Olympic people have some say in all that or do they accept that 'the country is broke'?

What about the course - did they extend it in the end or was there a compromise?

Compromise Reached on Olympic Course

Tuesday, December 2, 1997

Though there has been no official comment, a compromise has allegedly been reached in the more than five-year battle between Japanese officials and the governing body of skiing over the length of the men's Olympic downhill course in Nagano, Japan.

On Monday, the NAOC (Nagano Olympic Organizing Committee) allegedly agreed to lengthen the downhill course by 279 feet to 5,791 feet. The International Ski Federation (FIS) has been demanding the course be extended to 5,906 feet. FIS had contended the existing course was too short and not of Olympic caliber. The change would increase the race times by 15 to 20 seconds.

The NAOC has, until now, remained steadfast in its refusal to lengthen the course as the new starting point would encroach on national park land, thus breaking Japanese law.

FIS had not accepted this argument because recreational skiing has all along been allowed in the area and it says the new start would border, not be in, the park land. Last month, the NAOC responded by proposing a ban on the recreational skiing. This "Band-Aid" response to the debate caused FIS president Marc Hodler to threaten to remove all disciplines of skiing from the February Nagano Games.

Nonetheless, Nagano IS world class skiing. Yet, their marketing to the outside world is crap. They completely dropped the ball in their olymic debut. They didn't attract visitors. And for that... they rust.

The travel industry could give a rat's ass about a few meters living up to FIS regulations. Give me a break.

"We can't fill our hotels because our downhill isn't long enough."

Yeah, right.

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
They are not allowed to look like an Olympic venue after the event so the following city remains unique, for example the torch used has to be removed, Sydney turned theirs into a fountain near the stadium.

Atlanta still has the Olympic park...I am proud to say I own a brick in that park too...

my memory is fuzzy, but i'm pretty sure nakiska (88 winter olympics in calgary) retains alot of the olympic feel.

when we were there they had quite alot of slalom-style courses etc pegged out, but olympic signage everywhere.

it was fast and icy. we left after an hour and went to fortress instead

The best consequence of the Olympics for Nagano was the shinkansen - a massively costly luxury given the amount that it is now used (though of course people like Fattwins and his fellow lodge operators, as well as users like me, obviously appreciate it).

Fatts - I always had the peak of the bubble around the early 90s, which was when the Nikkei started plummeting and property values crashed. By 1998 the recession was well and truly under way...

The olympic flags on the road. the sign board. the ski jump rings etc.

The peak of the ski bubble really popped for hakuba after the games. The shink is good and bad. When the roads and transport were bad more people tended to stay longer. For overseas vistors though getting here easy is a must.

I'm sure I read that they expect the Nagano Shinkansen to be used much more when the new section to it opens in however many years time. I think they said it will take business away from the Niigata stretch of the Joetsu.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not best to answer this but seeing as though none of the Hakuba peeps are shouting up. Yes I remember the resorts/courses that weren't being used being open and not crowded.. possibly people thought it would be packed out and avoided but it wasn't.