I'm staying out of this one...all I have to say is that I have been to both, and I like them both for different reasons. The more variety of mountains and locations you can hit - the better. Nice vids - next season, i'll have to bust out the camera and get some footage

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at a trip for over New Year, I have never been to Hokkaido before and am a mid-level boarder. If the chances are higher for dry, deep powder in Niseko then thats where I'm going!!!

At this point in my boarding, as long as the gradient is enough to propel me down the hill at a rate of knots and is waist deep, untracked or JUST tracked, then thats where I wanna be!!

Any tips on where to stay??

If you're going to stay on the courses, or in areas off course which are designated by gates, and you say you're a mid-level border, I'd suggest Niseko.

Having never done Hakuba back country myself, I can't say how much snow it gets, but taking it from what most people here have to say, there's just as much snow in the Hakuba BC as up in Niseko, if not more. But if you're not doing back country, then that doesn't matter much to you, I suppose.

Watch out for global warming! Aïe.

No we flew back to Tokyo and with a 7 Day Green Japan Rail Pass we travelend to Takayama and stayed a couple of nights then Kyoto for two more with a day trip to Nara we then traveled to Himaji Castle then Hirashima (which was very special) and then we stayed on Miyajima Island for two nights before traveling back to Tokyo for a few more nights.

It was a fantastic trip next time we will go to different places.

not quite true FT. By the time you get from Hiroshima city to the airport, check in, wait for the plane, fly to Tokyo, get off, and get the express to Tokyo, it is longer than getting the shink city center to city center...

def. BP, though if you lived in Saijo which is pretty close to the airport it would be a different story. From Hiroshima station Id guess it'd take at least 45-60 mins by local train/bus to the airport. Flying is cheaper though if you buy it well ahead of time.

Me too, I really like the shinkansens - when I have a row of seats to myself. I dislike it a lot when I have to stand by the exit doors when it's full. The shink charge just doesn't make that reasonable.