• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The attraction of Niseko to Aussies has not just come from good advertising but largely word of mouth. Everyone coming back and posting on web sites how great it was has lead to many more trying and doing the same.

I am convinced though that Aussies will venture away from Niseko to other resorts pretty quickly (only to be replaced by more at Niseko).

Furano would be far more attractive if it would allow out of bounds skiing, the reports coming back of the restrictions are putting off many of us, I know we cancelled our plans to ski there because we love skiing in the trees.

I believe that the Furano resort and tourist office has had some pretty poor advice. They are so adamant ( that they don't want to create another Niseko and they believe the best way to do this is to restrict off-piste skiing. On the other hand though they really want investment from foreigners. They just don't seem to get it that whilst tree skiing is restricted they're just not going to get that investment. Sometimes I think the advice from a certain individual in Furano to restrict tree skiing was purely so he didn't lose all the freshies for himself. Could be wrong about that of course \:D

We all know that most people think that they are better than they are. That goes for pretty much everyone. So yes I would say that tree skiing is a big draw for the foriegn rider, why?

-they have usally skied or riden at some point in their life.

-skill level is about mid level enough to start having a go.

-they are on vacation try something new

-way more snow than they are used to

-the trees are advertised directly or indirectly

that is just some of the reasons.