I used to be just Starbucks, but when I was in the UK there was a new one (Italian?), Cafe Nero - that was great!

What's your coffee then?

Quote:
Originally posted by SKI:
Sounds good! I wish I had a Starbucks within easy reach of my office...
No you shouldn't wish you had one close! Make your own and save your mullah!

The fact there is one just 4 floors down from where I work is a winter nemisis. Ski dollars just aren't appearing and I am sure it is Starbuck's fault.

Starbucks? Are you serious? eek.gif

We had one of those in Sydney but it shut down after the US tourists left after the Olympics.

Buy yourself a plunger and some Melita Blue Mountain style ground coffee. Now THAT is coffee.

as far as coffee places go I prefer "The coffee Bean and Tea leaf" over Starbucks.

i dont drink coffee very often, unless im pulling an all nighter, and desperation leads me to drink whatever i can get my hands on. normally shoddy instant coffee.

For a taste of true smooth Italian espresso, try Lavazza espresso mix in a proper maker. Or go to the Lavazza Cafe near the intersection of Meiji-dori and Omotesando-dori in Tokyo.

My brother's Brazilian co-worker gave him some real Brazilian coffee...it was called "Tres Coracones". She said Brazilian coffee never tastes right unless you actually buy it there, then bring it over. Maybe the export mix or beans are different.

When I drank a cup of this stuff, it was a like a new drug to me...and this from a man who often starts the day with a triple espresso.

This stuff was amazing. Instead of the jittery, lightheaded, racing feeling I get from most coffees, I had a swelling sensation of sweet bliss in my chest, slightly molten, almost-invisible visual distortion effects like colorshift halos and glowing grids around everything...and best of all, the feeling that my brain had suddenly acquired mechanical linkage to a silent, offsite 90,000 horsepower turbo diesel engine.

These feelings of...er... well-being persisted through mid-afternoon...all from a double morning cup of the stuff.

Oh yeah...it tasted great too.

There were other houseguests at my brother's house that week. I can't recall exactly when it was, maybe after the 3rd or 4th day...but I began to notice that people's morningtime coffee time behavior was exactly like our college-days pot-smoking behavior.

Sitting around in tentative postures listening to music and having weird snippets of conversation...everyone gathered in the same room for no explicit purpose, protecting their cup of Tres Coracones with both hands...gazing down at patterns in the flooring, lost in the cascading spirals of some incredible glittering reverie...then flitting back into an ever-tangentially-shifting conversation with bright eyes and an embarrassed smile...then slipping back into lost worlds of reverie again.

We burned through that bag of beans in a few days.

When my brother told his Brazilian friend how much we'd enjoyed the coffee and shamefacedly requested another bag, fearing it was some kind of expensive gourmet brew, the woman just laughed and said "What? Tres Coracones is just an ordinary supermarket coffee in Brazil...next time, I'll get you a better one..!"

OH YES PLEASE

Eyecrazy.gif

• 3 years later...

StumpTown Coffee, its One of the BEST coffee house in Oregon! They imported the coffee beans from overseas. Expensive, but its the best tasting coffee. It was mentioned in Travel Magazine too last year. But then again, only people in the west coast can experience the refreshing taste of it. \:D

Starbucks and Japanese coffee is usually very very bad. Dotour is awful, Starbucks is next on the list.

Recently there are some new Segafredo and Lavazza coffee places in Tokyo but they are definitely pretty awful to be in. Real chain stores and ugly as. The coffee is 10 times better than Starbucks and Dotour but still I think the same coffee tastes different back home.

Raury, I have to agree with Enderzero about the Starbucks stores in Sydney. They are around and should never have been allowed to be built ... The only people who visit them are very desperate office workers with no taste and the Sydney Hong-Kong Chinese population.

Can you buy espresso machines in Japan?

They have really taken off in the last year or so in the UK, you can buy them everywhere now, decent ones with milk frothers for about £40 (8000yen). I now have my own bean grinder and turn my nose up even at french press coffee.