Well you buy it in the supermarket in blocks. Does that sound like Indian curry to you?

You make a kind of vegetable and meat stew with carrots and onions featured heavily, then you insert the blocks of curry roux and stir it in. The result is not far off the kind of 'curry sauce' you get in Chinese chippies in the UK. The Japanese variety is usually sweeter and more aromatic than that. It's usually not particularly spicy.

When it's made with lumps of fat rather than meat, and the curry roux selected is one of the cheaper ones, it can look like a plate of sloppy shit and taste not dissimilar. When it's good though it can be pretty tasty. However, it's served on lumpy Japanese rice, not Indian long-grain, so what you get is a mass rather than discrete elements.

For snowboarding it's not good. It may seem like a good idea at the time, but it sits on your stomach and comes back to visit you at regular intervals in the form of rancid burps.

It often comes with that great favourite of Indians, pork cutlet.

There's quite a hot black pepper one that's good.

My missus usually adds fresh coriander to the Japanese-type curry and sometimes pureed spinach too. It makes a more Indian sort of deal, and when you accept it as being a complete bastard of a cooking style, it's pretty good.

agreement here.

more like a stew than curry, but it own beast indeed.

i eat it. i think i enjoy it. im not sure. it tastes ok. but if we rank it with other things called curry it comes in way down the list.

I`m pretty hooked on curry rice - but would never eat it during snowboarding - always after - like almost everytime - but it pales compared with Thai or Indian curry - I just don`t like most Japanese restaurant cuisine - homecooked Japanese food is great though!

When I go back home I always go at least once to an Indian restaurant. ......small breakfast, no lunch and go there very very hungry - then have the whole lot starters, poppadoms, naan, curry, side dish.

Oh yeah!!!

I echo the sentiment that it is totally different, yet very delicious. Man, if I had a Coco's back home I would go nuts! But we do have a lot of $6 all you can eat Indian buffets that are so tasty and filling I usually have to take a nap in the booth after my third plate or so.