How much do you all pay. You see my mum owns her own salon and I get it done for free at home. Whenever I've lived away from home in the past I just have it all shaved off.

But yesterday I paid 4000 Yen, and had my own 'stylist' so c'mon how much is good to pay here in Japan?

i've cut my own hair since i was 18.

had a few haircuts when i was employed in oz (they are really nice!!!) but coming to japan, just couldnt part with the required moolah. most std joints round my place charge 3000 yen for a trim. so spent 1500yen on some barbers scissors (which have caused me no ending grief in airports around the world) and still go it alone

i hear for your haircut dollar u do get some bonuses though, like a shaved forehead

confused.gif like F@#%, no one is shaving my forehead.

Japanese haircuts are exy but service is much better!

Shampoo ya heir and nice massage before and after cut, but parting with 3800-4000 is hard, I have never been one to spend on haircuts...

When i went to Oz no shampoo, she just jumped straight in and started chopping!!! I was shocked.

For a barber shop 1500-2000 yen for the basics. At a salon, 4000-4500 seems to be the norm for men.

(the price doesn't vary much, but the haircut does... find a good cutter and stick with them)

for a cut and color, i pay less here than i would in the US. plus i get a nice message and dont have to figure out how much to tip. and i like the music they play at my place.

I dated a Japanese hairdresser who was a couple years away from being a "stylist". You would not believe how seriously hard she and all her friends worked. They are there from around 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. almost every day, then they have "renshuu" (practice) for a couple hours after that.

EVERY NIGHT.

During the renshuu, they cut hair for free, to practice. How do they find these people, these willing guinea pig subjects?

They hang around stations on Tuesdays--their only days off--asking a thousand strangers a thousand times "Excuse me, I'm a hairdresser, want a free cut and style?" and a few people agree, even fewer actually show up.

The salary is peanuts, they work all Golden Week, and few of them actually ever make Stylist, which can be like making Partner at a law firm...but only at the posh shops...elsewhere, it means nothing especially financial.

The level of cutting technique is very high in Japan. Even I, a non-expert, feel scared and skeptical of the slovenly, casual and unskilled approach seen in many salons here. Even people with good training fall far short of the Japanese skill level...as an experienced sushi chef would blow away one of those grocery-store California Roll making part-timers.

In retrospect it was probably an insult to her that I bought a 3000-yen National hair clipper and gave myself a buzz cut every week...saved on time, shampoo and style crises.

But I made it up to her a million times over by giving her a foot massage most days...gosh did her legs ache after a day of standing around in the shop. And what fine legs they were...tasted great too but that is another thread.

It's not unusual in the UK for an apprentice to work like that, but they're also given all the horrible jobs to do i.e cleaning toilets etc etc. Ritual humiliation! One of my mates was doing all that for 16 pounds a week.

Badmigs who/what havent you dated?! Damn you got some good stories.

I pay 4000 and get it done every few months. I get washed, cut, massaged (shoulders and neck too) and then a blowdry. Its about 2x what I paid in NZ but I think its pretty standard here. Im usually there for at least an hr and I feel like a movie star when i get out. I love it

I've heard the same thing from people dating hairdressers. Through them, I dated an ex-hairdresser who was quite happy to work similar hours at a jeweler's. She was a real looker and dressed really well, but it wasn't worth the hassle in the end.

At smaller shops, making stylist just means the responsibility of doing the books as well.

This is a topic that me and my mates often go off about. Damn, its expensive as hell in this country to get a haircut. And, like everything else here, its just appearances. They act the part but most of em cant cut hair for peanuts. I did pay about 3500 yen but realized that for the same amount I could go and buy a pair of clippers and do it myself. Bouzu is the only way! Namu myoho renge kyo ;\)