American Rock VS British Rock!

mmm depends. britain for its size, has produced some quality bands. each have their fair share of crap bands aswell. america is renowned for all its "cock rock" bands which are just replicas of nirvana/pearl jam, but because it is such a large country there are heaps of decent bands aswell. alot of bands from britain sound very similar: coldplay and travis etc

i dont think i could pick either.

big-will,

so much of the music scene in america is not what you see on MTV or hear on the radio...

The non-mainstream music scene in the states is alive and well...I think a renassaince is in the works if you ask me...

you can go to music festivales of all sizes practically every weekend in the summer if you wanted to! I really miss that being here in japan

danz

Can't say I know much about American Rock apart from what I hear on the TV etc, but never been too keen on what I do hear - with exceptions of course.

I like both. Doesn't matter. BTW, What's the rap scene like in other countries? I only listen to US and J-rappers...but would like to know of others....

I like lots of Brit rock, but don't actually know too much stuff from the US - certainly open to it (unless it is called Toto or Chigago) \:\)

lol.gif

I think I prefer American music on the whole.

As far as Rock n Roll goes, American music is the real thing, whereas British is a bit of a fake. To me, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton sound like bad copies.

There is fantastic creativity among US black musicians going back to swing, through blues and up to hip hop.

I don't know if the US has any decent reggae, and that's an area where British black musicians reign supreme.

For folk inspired music, British musicians are easily as good as US musicians, but there's plenty of great folk oriented music from the States, especially the south.

But Rock n Roll is American. Who needs Mick Jagger putting on an American accent??

Geeze O11 over 4000 posts?! U cant be doing too much work eh?! u should be getting ready for that move - I think anybody who is living in West Japan should be invited to your place for a BBQ and some tubin!!! clap.gif

Being american I guess you could say I like US bands but since living abroad there are many quality bands out there that just dont make it into the US market... go figure.

I really like so called "jam bands" like DMB, Bela Fleck, Phish, Panic, Allman Bros etc. Havent really heard too many nonUS bands that have that style. There are a few in Japan but I cant remember the names off the top of my head.

If the music/bands/singers/people are good why should it matter what country they come from?

the differences between the two are a bit like the difference between brit movies and those from the states. both have their own charms.

what is it with J-rapppers? i can't figure those guys out. they try so hard to look tough but end up looking like a japanese version of ali g.

not that aussie "home boys" have much street cred either.

American - British, I don't care as long as it'S progressive and not the same old tripe year on year. As for hip-hop, France has some great stuff, I recommend Sian Super Crew, and MC Solar. There's somthing about French that makes it sound super sexy....even if a bloke is singing!

Jungle, Drum + Base and Garage are all British styles aren't they? Are they popular in North America?