Does anyone else find the keitai phenom just a bit crazy. I was sitting on the train this morning and looked around me and out of the 30 or so people in the carriage, all but a few had their heads down and fiddling with their keitais.

Some of the girls at work seem to check their mail every 5 minutes.

It just seems to be a bit ridiculous to me. Perhaps I'm just getting old......

I see the same thing and feel the same as well. These mildly useful devices have become substitutes for meaning and purpose. All I see is totally lack-lustre, dull eyed oxygen converters lost in the world of the mobile phone. The following is rather extreme: The phone addicts I see remind me of those unfortunate children who are locked in small dark rooms for years and turn to constant masturbation for their only form of human interactive satisfaction.

I seldom say anything, but if you spend more than 10 minutes in my company playing with your security blanket and you are ear marked for good as a lifeless entity. I enjoy vibrant experience, not lifelessness.

The mobile phone phenom should really come as a suprise when you consider the generation that grew up glued to utter trash tv (97.5% of all tv content).

I am glad that I grew up without the junk culture of instant satisfaction and sugar coated technology.

Christ, I sound like my dad! \:\(

Perhaps the situation is worse in big cities. Certainly there's excessive use here too, but when I stayed in Narita before flying to England, I went out for dinner and I really thought I was in zombie town. Everybody walking down the street was staring at their little bright screen, and I could see at least 3 people in parked cars getting their communication fix.

What can they be talking about?

The next baby boom in Japan will see many mouthless children born. Genetically engineered to meet the changes in our society. Food consumption will not be a problems. This will consumed directly through tubes grown into our sides as there is will be no time to stop, relax and eat.

It will be a new and exciting and peaceful world. ;\)

I never cease to be amazed by the number of people i see out together on what appear to be dates, with neither talking to each other, just eating and fiddling with their phones. I guess it makes relationships easier....not as likely to be arguing all the time!

I think it looks really sad.

Now that the keitais have little crappy cameras, all you see at an "event" is hundreds of people holding up their keitai in the air trying to get a snap.

Quote:
I don't use mine so much I think some people look stupid always playing with it
I always play with mine.....but not in public ;\)

How long before they're implanted in our brain from childhood.

Dangerous social inhibitors.

Honest to god theres a girl in our office who spends at least 58 minutes of her lunch-hour fiddling with her keitai ;\) I asked her what she was writing and she said "oh, nothing just talking to friends".

I owned one for a short period here in Japan, even tried to send an email from it. I had to sit it on the table and type with two fingers like a typewriter. Obviously all and sundry sneered with contempt at my lack of "ability". It took me 10 minutes to type a short message and these people couldn't cope with how dorky I looked typing it and were amazed at my lacking in what they saw as a vital modern day skill.

Do you think I cared?

Fingers, more like.

I wonder if the fad is going to die down at all - you know, when people realise that they don't need to text their friends 10 times a day....

Saw it on TV this morning.....the lastest innovation on future keitais will be tv broadcasts. Even more time spent staring at the 2 inch screen.

2 inch screen my arse....i'll be carrying round my phone on a special harness and all will envy my 29 inch mobile, with six speakers suspended around my body. and the future will see that my phone camera will act to feed the images from the other side of my screen directly into it so i can watch picture in picture where i walk.

You can strain your back all you want; I'll be sauntering down the street in ease with my keitai hooked into my headphones and video goggles (note: shiny, silver, '70's spacesuit not included). cool.gif

p1.jpg