O11

Read that too. Entertaining enough but not as much on old Wills as I thought there would be, more about some incompetant orchard growing failure who couldn`t keep his strumpet well strumped.

Makes you wonder how the English managed to build an empire.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...maybe they just weren't a bad as everyone else. Compared to the French and Spanish running around at that time, the English, were posivtively enlightened.

Last Samurai looks good but does sound a little like Dances with wolves.

Tom Curise did his best work in Taps. Since then he's been coasting.

OK OK. So if I go see this in Japan, will I not understand lots of it or what? Whats the deal with spoken language / subtitles??

Tom Cruise coasting? I don't think so. He is apparently one of the hardest working/preparing actors out there and always puts in a decent-plus performance. I usually like his work.

• 2 weeks later...

Watanabe is great. Cruise... \:\( I'm sorry, but Tom Crusie is just not that great of an actor. There is one role that he does well, Maverick from Top Gun, and he has played him in every role since. But I still thought Last Samurai was definitely worth seeing. What was up with the ninja fight, though? Did ninja really attack by the 100s...and please tell me how many ninja were really left by 1875??

I saw it in the states, so I don't know if the English subtitles are left off in the Japanese version. It would not be as devestating to the plot as it is for Kill Bill though. A friend of mine did see it here, but that was a sneak preview a few weeks ago. She said there were subtitles for the Japanese parts in English...but I wouldn't take that to mean there are on the final version for sure. Anyone know?

We finally got to see it Christmas Eve - I thought it was a great movie...Only a couple of japanese spoke english, and only when speaking to a gaijin. When they spoke to each other, it was in japanese with english subtitles...I'll buy the DVD when it comes out...

I saw it yesterday and liked it!

The story is good, it is Japanese history and Japanese people are described very beautiful in that movie! If it filmed in Japan, could be perfect for me.

clap.gif

OK OK, so I saw it.

I thought it was a really good movie - I really enjoyed it.

Funny reactions from my Japanese friends I went with - ranging from "didn't their accents sound not right - was the script written by Koreans?" to "did you understand it Karnidge?" (as if the samurai spirit was completely beyond me.

I put it down to the beer we had before and laughed it off.

I'm interested to hear more thoughts from our Japanese friends on here...what did you think?

Finally got to see it. and really enjoyed it as well - more than I thought I would. Watanabe was cool, that other main Japanese dude that didn't speak much or smile but look all well hard was cool too.

Liked it! Will buy the DVD.

I was told by one of the Japanese peeps I saw the movie with that it was filmed in New Zealand. But I kept seeing palm trees. Anyone know for sure where the movie (the samurai mountain village) was filmed??