• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this morning's little jolter woke me up just 1.5 hrs after going to bed (watched the Brazil GP - literally shaking at times, and not because of Shuie starting from the back.....). I'm a heavy sleeper at the best of times, and there is NO WAY anyone can wake me up until at least I've had 6 hours sleep.

Not this morning \:\( It shook me awake, and I had no idea what was going on, where I was, etc, etc, until it fianlly dawned on me that it was another earthquake. It was kind of chilling. I would HATE is experience a major quake happeing while I was asleep - really freaky... shifty.gif ...

Wow, I was just talking to SJ mod on the chat site and there was one in Niigata at 10:30 and then that biggie just then at 10:40, it was a 6 on the J scale.

Hope you are alright up there

00971044.gif

I felt that rattler this morning too. Oh boy - Scary ride up in the mountains. Worse in Niigata. I feel for those people out there who don't have much food/drink in the cold.

If anyone is so inclined, you can send stuf via the post office - free shipping. Here's the details.

===========================================

The post office will send emergency relief packages to Niigata for free

if you send them to the Nagaoka City Hall at:

?940-8501?

?????????-?-?

??????????????

940-8501

Niigata-Ken, Nagaoka-Shi

Sawai-machi, 2-Chome 1-1

Nagaoka Shiyakusho

Saigai Taisaku Honbu

(Ed. note: actually there are about 15 locations you can send to,

e.g., the Red Cross location in Niigata. See this post office homepage

(Japanese only) for other addresses:

http://www.japanpost.jp/pressrelease/japanese/kawase/041025j303.html

DIRECTIONS:

(1) How and What to send:

Items other than cash and which do not require special handling (no cool

items or fragile items)

** Cash can be sent to other locations-- again, see this HP for details:

http://www.japanpost.jp/pressrelease/japanese/kawase/041025j303.html

Relief Items (clothing, blankets)

Non-perishable food

Daily amenities (diapers, alcohol spray, towels, saran wrap, tampons)

School items

Newspapers

Magazines

Etc.

** Must be packed in a "small package (KOTSUTSU YUUBIN BUTSU)" sized box

Again, no special handling (no cool storage, etc.)

** Please pack only new items and one type of item in each box

(e.g., a box of drinking water, OR a box of food, OR a box of daily

amenities-- do not mix them together)

** Please refrain from sending the following:

- Used underwear or used blankets (even laundered)

- Fresh or perishable foods (no onigiri, etc.)

LABELING REQUIREMENTS:

** Please mark as KYUUENJO YOU ("For Emergency Relief")

** Please label contents CLEARLY on outside of package

OTHER CONDITIONS:

** Sender may not request specific distribution of goods

(as in sending to a specific person, village or group.)

** Items may not be sent to gain profit.

** Packages to individuals are not eligible for this service.

The free shipping is only until 24-Nov.

//ends//

Also, just saw this on another list I'm on - for the busy and/or super lazy:

==============================

you can call the post office and they will

collect the freight boxes for the earthquake from your house/office to save

you time. I have just called them and they are coming in a couple of hours.

They ask on the phone what you are sending and how it is packed .

Sunrise, Thanks for that info. I am definitely going to send some cloths and money. i hope everyone in the SJ community helps out a little.

C'mon people, do what you can. clap.gif

yeah, I fely the second one this morning at about 10:40 am. again, enough to wake me up and get out bed (I hate doing that, especially when an earthquake is shaking.....) I can't believe they have woken me twice, in the same week no less.

I'm not sure if I'm getting used to them, but the shakes don't seem to be going on for as long now - does anyone else feel like this ? But in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if it is still charging up for the BIG ONE.

It's kind of strange talking to my wife who is now in Oz. There was a brief mention about an earthquake in Japan, but not much else. When I tell her about the destruction, the deaths, the landslides, the lack of food and protection for a vast amount of the population, she can't believe that there is not much word on it on tv. In the past, when there has been major earthquakes in Turkey and other places it has been all over the new in Oz. Is it because of the location of these quakes (Niigata, and not Tokyo) that lots of people especially outside of Japan just have no idea of the seriousness of this situation.......

The tops of the mountains are white this morning, it must be very uncomfortable for the poor people who are stuck with damaged homes and no where to go in this kind of weather, and I guess it's only going to get colder........

floods, typhoons, earthquakes that never stop - do you think someone might be trying to tell us something........ wakaranai.gif

In amognst all the bad news, the mother and children that were buried in their car by one of hte landslips have been rescued alive 4 days after!

Small solice for those familes that lost loved ones, but a big feel good boost for all I would say.

I have been watching that on Telly too. How crazy was it when that quake hit at about 3:20pm? the workers were freaking! (who wouldn't!)

I hope they get them all out alive..

My parents have been receiving calls in Oz to check that we are right. But like the stripper said, no where near the coverage that other countries get.

Maybe because we are supposed to be living in a country thats not 3rd world?