May have been said before but I just don`t get why Japanese people have this habbit of taking about two draws on a cigarrette and then stubbing it out???? confused.gif

Surely that is such a waste of money?? Not that smoking isn`t anyway, but if you have paid for it surely you should get the most you can out of it??? Japanese smoking etiquette?? wakaranai.gif wakaranai.gif

I thought it might be cutting down of their habbit too "Sexy" but a colleague at work does this all the time. It`s like he is a chain quarter cigarrette smoker??!! He will smoke quarter of it then stub it out, two mins later another quarter and stub it out...etc!!!! wakaranai.gif

I was told that if we smoke full of length soon before the filter, it would give big damage to our lungs. Not sure any sciencific reasons or not. But anyway I don't need to mind it any more, I successed to quit smoking back in April last year, yay!

yep, that and second hand smoke/passive smoking!! I quit about 2 years ago, saved a lot of cash. Actually reminds me- I spent some time in hospital here and was amazed at the amount of patients in hospital pyjamas smoking in and outside the hospital. One lady also looked like she was getting kemo!! Blew my mind!

The fact that the damn things are so cheap here, thus allowing this odd behaviour, is a big part of the problem. Make those puppies more expensive by taxing the hell out of them, and smoking will become less attractive. Great way to gain revenue...but then again, isn't the government the biggest shareholder of JT? Why is it that the Japanese can't see, or at least don't kick up a stink about, the inconsistencies here concerning public health? I'm seriously gonna slap someone one day for smoking inside a station next to a no-smoking sign. Either that, or I'll 'nigirippe' them and yell "How do you like them apples!"

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
What's kemo sakebomb?
Chemotherapy... common treatment for cancer... basically attempts to kill off cancerous (and non-cancerous) cells in your body, and leaves you pretty weak...

I know someone who goes further than only puffing once or twice. He actually bins the packet with a few ciggies left in it - stops him smoking them, he says. Then an hour or so later he's opening the next pack? That is really mixed up. wakaranai.gif

P'Jem....as a recent quitter (2+ months) I hate the smoke that mingles into my office or the smoke coming out of the guys mouth ahead of me walking into the subway tunnel, but I tolerate the smoke coming from the next guy on the bar stool...I respect that he/she enjoys a cocktail and a smoke. However, the lingering stench of Japanese smokers everywhere I go disgusts me so bad I quit. C-YA!

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm (Not Very) Sexy:
I don't like guys smoking at all, it is so turn off.
Same with women... thats so disgusting! Hate to see (beautiful) women light up eek.gif

I'm (Not Very/Maybe) Im sexy; 超優柔不断よね?! ;\) Why do you keep changing your name from Im sexy, to Im not, to maybe? confused.gif lol.gif

I thought 優柔不断 meant "indecisive" ... Is that what you mean Yama?

I also HATE smoking. The worst thing I see in Japan is parents smoking right over or right near their children, who are often still babies. Do they know that they are harming their baby by doing that? I once brought this up with a friend of a friend and he wasn't really perturbed by it ... I wonder why. Do these people not want their kids to grow up healthy and strong?

I see that there has been some laws passed to change Tobacco advertising in public places last night on the news. By end of March appraently not allowed in taxis or on the bus. Also a new type of ID card to stop kids being able to purchase fags from vending machines. Good idea in theory but I am sure it wouldn`t be too hard to obtain one of these cards if you really wanted to.