Speaking to a friend who works at a resort in Niigata and he reckons it might be after Christmas before places really open up. Snow on Sun/Mon this week but not that much and then warmer again next week after that. Of course just one person, but it could easily get to be Christmas before places really open up the way it's going hey.

Hopefully this time next week, this won't be an issue \:\)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you guys out there don't need to sweat. It'll come, but maybe a shorter season than last year. Its us tourist that are sweating; a constrained window of opportunity (3 weeks for me) and no second chances.

At least there's more snow now than the same period two years ago on my last visit when I was really freaked. This time around I'm coming out a week later. As CB said if there's no improvement by Dec 31st.....PANIC. Anyway gotta finish my Shinto Yuki shrine and chuck some cash in. Here's hoping.

Quote:
We've all overbuilt our own expectations.
Not really. Well, I haven't. Last year was not normal.

But this year is very mild here and there is no snow - just enough for Kagura to open. Gala opened but has had to close again. We have snow forecast for tomorrow and Monday, but not a big dump and then it is forecast to get warmer again next week.

So it is likely that it will be at least Christmas before we get going round here.

That is a poor start.

I hope I'm wrong.

as i said, It's december.

I've been here for 9 winters and some I've had my first days in November (could have nbeen earlier on occasions) and some in January.

It'll come... and when it does, you'll be complaining that there's too much!

Surely there has never been a time when 6th Jan was not OK in Niigata. It would have to be a new record. Anyway it looks like it is snowing there now.

• SnowJapan Admin

In the 15 or so seasons I have been here (Yuzawa/Shiozawa) I think the latest ever start was just after Christmas Day - definitely before New Year. It would indeed be a very big problem if places could not open before early Jan. I'm sure you'll be fine FS360. Keep an eye on the Yuzawa Now page (link at the top of the page). \:\)

It's snowing now by the way - hopefully will continue a bit longer.

(Not if only this network problem would go away and let us get back to normal speed mad.gif )

Todays report. Not looking like the snow will arrive in the next week

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now.php

Town level ski resorts are facing opening delays though. Every day is important now as most places expected to open by this weekend at the latest, but the signs are unfortunately not good at the moment. The forecast is for fine weather for today and tomorrow, then cloud and mild temperatures on Friday and Saturday and fine weather on Sunday and so - unless the forecast changes considerably - it is looking very unlikely that more resorts will be able to open before Christmas.

• SnowJapan Admin

Seems like people expect the next (first?!) big snow 27th at the earliest. There's lots of worried managers around right now. After the amazing start to last season, it's looking like it will be one of later proper openings to the season this time round.

I just helped Naspa with their message to send out to people with bookings last night.

(On a positive note, conditions up at Kagura are reportedly very good right now \:\) )