I was just looking out of my window here after reading the Yuzawa reports from this time last year. Good memories but a bit depressing. It's a fine day here, mild temperatures and 0cm at town level. Gala has just 20cm and the snowline is moving up the mountain.

This time last year the madness had started!! Just check out all that dumping going on....

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now-archive.php?month=12&year=2005

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wednesday 14th December 2005, 8:49AM

Weather conditions: Heavy snow

New snowfall: 50cm

Snow depth: Town level - 100-150cm; Kagura 160cm; Mitsumata - 110cm; Naeba - 130cm; Iwappara - 200cm; GALA - 210cm

The incredible snowfall continued overnight and we've got maybe another 50-60cm since last night. And the forecast is telling us to expect yet another 60cm by the end of the day! A look outside the window and at the snow depths data at resorts and it really feels like it is late-January.

It's hard to keep a track on exactly how much new snow there is, but officially GALA is now reporting 210cm, Iwappara reporting 200cm with Kagura on 160cm.  We'd have thought there would be more up there, but they are the official numbers anyway. There's near on two metres of snow piled up at the side of some roads and a friend who lives in the Kandatsu area just called to tell us of 250cm outside their house! We're hoping we might get a picture of that, but we will definitely take some photos today and get them online soon.

The snowfall is causing a fair bit of havoc on Route 17 and other roads - especially between Yuzawa and Ishiuchi where some trucks are having some serious problems getting up the hill. This means that traffic is either crawling or stopped in some areas and journeys are taking much longer than they normally would.

A bit depressing that. I spoke with a friend who lives in Ishiuchi and they said they didn't even expect the snow due this weekend to bring that much. Very little chance of Ishiuchi opening this weekend, according to him and said he thinks it would be Christmas before places could really open up.

last year this time we had snow, then remember the rainy season in january? damn that sucked. also, two years ago, no snow till christmas. Once this warm spell dies, it's on and like japan, it won't stop snowing for weeks/months.

Quote:
Originally posted by r45:
And thats what is actually what a lot of places look like now isn't it?
thats Iwatake in Hakuba, at the moment it looks like this
iwatake1chn5.jpg

iwatakebcm8.jpg
it looked like this earlier in the month, it has some snow, 2 years ago it had nothing.

Have we forgotten how freaky 2004-05 got, after the slow start? Most snow in 20 years, I heard some locals remark in Niseko, and in Nozawa we had knee deep fresh on-piste nearly every day at 3 in the afternoon, in February, that was...

Snowfall warning for Whistler I see. 40cm

25-35 for the Kootenay hills \:D

You guys will get yours soon enough

It will be sudden like it always is. 1 day there will be next to nothing and 2 days later you'll be skiing on 150cms of fresh

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

there has not been an accurate forecast here yet! I think whis is paying off enviro canada off to boost tourism. were consistently getting 20-50 forecasts but the day before it turns to 5-10...anyways its been deep almost everyday thanks to the ridiculus winds weve been having.
 Quote:
Originally posted by ianbc:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

there has not been an accurate forecast here yet! I think whis is paying off enviro canada off to boost tourism. were consistently getting 20-50 forecasts but the day before it turns to 5-10...anyways its been deep almost everyday thanks to the ridiculus winds weve been having.
i should eat my words...it eneded up snowing 50 that night...obviously the shredding was super but the snow knocked out the internet for 4 days until about 2 hours ago.