1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

There are just too many more things that I want to do rather than have my image of Fuji-san shattered by going up there in a long snake line of obasan. I'll admire from afar.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have climbed the damn thing twice - once in 1998 and then in 2005. Seems 7 years was long enough for me to forget the minimal reward for the discomfort and effort of getting to the top. The first time my hands froze and the second time I nearly got hypothermia. Both times I was filthy by the time I returned back to fifth station. Good to say that you've done it, but in my experience not worth the effort - unless you are some sort of masochist. Makes the onsen afterwards seem like the best one you've every had, though, I must admit

I didnt think much about climbing Fuji. Its sort of ruined really. Its just a path up a long hill. However i was amazed that most people were unprepared. i saw people up their with jeans and an unbrella. At the end of the day its a high mountain and i think you got to take enough gear to stick it out for a night if a storm rolls in. Most people i saw up their would be up shit creek if the weather changed dramatically.

Climbing it in Jan/Feb would be tough. 3,700 is a long way up in deep snow. i know i couldnt do it. Im not saying its impossible just that its not something that i want to do.

To the guy climbing in Borneo. I hope you have some climbing experience. Every year people try to trott up a mountain called Aoraki Mt Cook in NZ and every year people fail to make it down. That mountian is 3,700

I also agree with the person that said there are better climbs in Japan. However i dont regret climbing Fuji, its a bit of an iconic place, even though everyone that has gone up it knows its overrated. oh and it was a pearla of a day when i did it

Best of luck

Matt

Wattie - agree with you totally - somewhere in that pic there are a few ppl carrying pillows up there. saw them on the way down the next morning by the side of the track having a quick kip!!

When i told my sister i'd just climbed the highest mountain in Japan with about 4 000 other people, she made a pretty good comment...

'yeah - and how many people climed the second highest mountain that night?'

Makes you wonder what peoples motives are for climbing with so many other people!!

Climbed Fuji on a Monday in September 2005, i.e. out of season. There were perhaps 100 - 150 people on the mountain, and just about all of them were at the summit for sunrise. Very few of the huts were open and it was properly cold just before dawn, I had all my gear on. I can say I did it, but not something I would bother repeating. So many more interesting mountains in Japan.

I didn't enjoy the experience. There were way too many people for me and it was hardly pretty (though the time at the top was good).

I am glad I did it once though, but I will not be going again.

Nope I haven't. It's a fair trek from here to actually get there so needs a few days really. Just haven't gotten round to it and it's not on the Top 10 list of things to do.

Hi Peter,

I usually manage to cobble together a couple of weeks' worth of snowboarding in Japan each year. The need for business trips to Japan increases proportionately with the depth of the snow at Kagura. I managed only 7 days in Niseko this past season for a number of reasons, most of them good! It's just that living in HK means that it’s a long time between snow days so photos, vids and snowjapan and planning for next season, are all good ways to keep the call of the wild under control.

Not much chance of a repeat Fuji trip for a while though. And anyway, Yotei would probably be a better all round experience for that sort of thing.

I climbed Mt Fuji soon after I came to Japan - group of newly found friends were really keen to take me up there. I had a fun time. The weather was good and the views were fantastic. It might not be the best of walks up and there are far too many people for my liking but it was an experience and I'm glad I have done it.