1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I saw on the news last night that they have more than usual up there for the time of year? Seems strange considering the general lack of snow. I've not been but would like to give it a go.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was on the news about a week ago that there is more than usual up there. I think that was it anyway. Very surprising when you consider there was relatively so little snow in the places there should have been snow.

Quote:
200 climbers welcome start of mountaineering season on Mt. Fuji

SHIZUOKA -- Mount Fuji marked the beginning of the summer mountaineering season on Sunday, with about 200 people gathering at the summit to welcome the sunrise.

The climbers lifted up their arms and cheered as they witnessed the first gleam of the rising sun from the 3,776-meter peak at about 4:30 a.m.

This year a lot of snow remained on the peak, but workers in huts on the mountains cleared away the snow to allow climbers to make the ascent to the summit.

Among the climbers was a 21-year-old female university student from Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture, who had ascended the mountain for the first time.

"This will serve as a memory from my student days," she said. "I'm so grateful to the people who shoveled away the snow." (Mainichi)

20070702p2a00m0na024000p_size6.jpg

thats a cool picture and definitely lots of snow up there still.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I met someone over the weekend who claims to visit Japan once a year and climb Fuji once a year. Total of 21 times. He certainly knew a lot of stuff about Japan, not sure about why someone would want to do that though! Frankly he seemed a bit of a nutter, if not entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...