I have often been on my own. I like going with friends, but many of mine don't live as close to the slopes as I do \:\) On your own you can have a real hardcore, no rest kinda day as well which is good from time to time.

I definitely prefer going with a friend.

In the past I thought that if I was alone I had the freedom to pick the place that I ride according to my skills and mood. This changed after I had my first serious injury and was by myself alone. \:\(

After that point I always wanna have someone riding with me.

I've only been on my own a few times. Much prefer with friends or a group (as long as it's not getting to the point where you spend half your time meeting up etc)

At Hachimantai they reciently found the body of the person who they were searching for when I was up there in Feb. His body had a broken leg and was not all that far from the ski resort. He simply had an accident, couldent move, froze and was buried in snow.

Ouch!! I prefer both but have a tendency towards stupidity when I am by myself, kinda careless. I don't enjoy getting lost and stuck in blizzards alone. Good to go with a friend like the example above, you never know what might happen!!

I will be on my own this coming january for a trip to Hakuba and Niseko. It is unfortunately a necceseity rather than a preference. If anyone wants to hook up for some laps between 22nd jan to 15th feb then I would be more than happy to make some plans!

Never been on my own, sounds like much less fun. Always with friends. I once went with a group of 20 Japanese colleagues though and that was a bit much. Like britgob says though can be a pain if there's too much meeting up going on.

I almost always go alone. I preffer it. Selfish of me but I don't like to wait for slower, less talented riders, even if they are friends. Alone I can go at my own pace and as many times as I want. NO 1 hour lunch breaks. 98% of the time I go alone and wouldn't want it any other way. However, nearly every time out I meet someone who rides at my level and we stick together for most of the day. That's just me.

I should mention that one of the few times I went with a friend we headed up North, hit Hakkoda and the next day Appi..where I broke my leg. If I had been alone, I have no idea how I would have gotten to a hospital and then back to Sendai. I do take that into consideration now when I plan long distance snowboard trips.

As much as i like company, i almost always go alone, but i like that too.

The 5-7 hr drive alone thru the night is something i really enjoy on my own. I can listen to MY music, nobody complains if i play some strange Coltrane or play music in my native tongue.

I think of my trips to snow land as TP-time, it is good to spend a little time alone. When i return to my wife, i find i have been missing her, and we have stories to tell each other.

When going with someone to the resort, i find that my partner is either too slow or too fast for me.

I think going alone is nice!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
I should mention that one of the few times I went with a friend we headed up North, hit Hakkoda and the next day Appi..where I broke my leg. If I had been alone, I have no idea how I would have gotten to a hospital and then back to Sendai. I do take that into consideration now when I plan long distance snowboard trips.
Was this the trip you called me and I had a blown knee and couldn't go? Oh, and I hate waiting for snowboarders \:D (email me sometime damnit! Alaska awaits you!)

I've skied alone many times. I've also climbed a lot of mountains on my own. Still, It's a bit disconcerting being out on your own. For skiing, if I'm cruising, no biggie. But, I usually don't cruise (I'm not that hardcore, I just like out-of-bounds better than groomers), I like to ski where others aren't. I've only had to deal with a broken thumb and wrist whilst out on my own. A leg injury though - man, so screwed. It crosses your mind, but I guess you just weigh the benefits vs. the reprucussions and take it from there. It's not smart, but think about what we're doing anyway - sliding down the side of a snow covered mountain. ;\)

It's never safe to do anything on your own. Even at the workplace now, I demand I go out with a partner to survey. Okay, so I really just need someone to BS with while I waste my governments money \:D

For resort/BC skiing I don't like being alone because when I'm by myself I don't push it as much as say when I am skiing with Fattwins.

But for spring BC skiing and hiking many of my trips are on my own just because it's nice to be out there by myself and most people don't like the outdoors as much as I do or have busier scedules.

I don't thake the risks that I would skiing resort BC in the true BC because the conssequences are that much higher.

In Japan there have only been a few mountain trips that I have truly been alone even though I'm not with people that I know

I don't push myself at all when I'm on my own. Having good skiers around just raises everybodies ability.

I get myself into sketch situations all the time when I'm on my own be it skiing or hiking. Just have to take things slower and plan out everymove.

Being with others is more fun, but as I usually don't ski weekends I end up going by myself.

I agree with Toque. I try to stay well within my boundaries when I am alone, although sometimes I make the wrong judgement and end doing stupid stuff on my own. Slowing down to overthink the situation a necessity then.