Actually the forum troll always says my forecasts are nothing but wild guesses.

Well I challenge GN to forecast/predict what this years weather is going to be in Japan. It will be fun to see if he takes up the challenge as he thinks he knows everything he must know how to predict the weather better than me.

GN you up for the challenge?

Lets see who is better or worse.

Hold on guys, let me put the popcorn in the microwave.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No....I'm pretty sure each day will still be 24 hrs long

oooh, how can we set up the challenge?

No vague guessery. Lets all play!

What shall we use as the control and what data will be predicted? Since i have zero weather claims, i definitely count as a member of the control group. Ideally we're looking for something with much less than a 25% chance of randomly guessing correct. I'll leave it up to you science bods to thrash out the details of how we can go about this... but if you can come to some kind of agreement on places, temperatures and snowfall for a VERY SPECIFIC period (can we use something like SJ weather reports for material), then we can test the efficacy of it all :)

After winter, Saitaman.

And spring will either be warmer or cooler than 'average'.

:thumbsup:

(Not sure when it will be though, pinpointing it is rather more difficult and involves faffing about with complex charts and consulting with jellyfish.)

Actually the forum troll always says my forecasts are nothing but wild guesses.

Well I challenge GN to forecast/predict what this years weather is going to be in Japan. It will be fun to see if he takes up the challenge as he thinks he knows everything he must know how to predict the weather better than me.

GN you up for the challenge?

Lets see who is better or worse.

I've never claimed to be a weather forecaster so why would I take up the challenge? I leave it to the experts to make their forecasts and let's face it they aren't much more accurate than yourself. At least not this far out. Your forecasts are a bit of fun snowdude. Well at least they're a bit of fun in their naivety and simplicity. I just merely pointed out to a relatively new member of this forum that it's best not to take your forecasts seriously. And I'd have the same advice this far out from the season for anyone putting too much faith into any forecasts by anyone. Pointing out that you are scientifically illiterate is a just pointing out a fact. You are.

Have to say I love reading the banter regarding long term seasonal forecasts on the forums, it's a nice way to gee up the excitement levels as we get closer to the season which we are all hoping fbrings record cold temps & voluminous snowfall !!

As to the scientific method and measurable degree of accuracy, both of these factors are highly questionable in the predictions I see posted( except for Pie Eater who seems to nail it with his uncanny ability to predict the EXACT conditions of winter well in advance- year in, year out ;) )

Meteorological agencies such as BOM and JMA will only ever predict the weather long range according to the probabilty of conditions being below, average, or above average - based on comparing numerous model forecasts which involve so many dynamic and complex interactions that it takes supercomputers and expert weather scientists to even guess what the weather may end up being kind of vaguely like for the coming season (within a specified range of probablity....)

Anytway, in the spirit of a fair contest and for genuine entertainment value, for those of you in the predictions business how about a providing a forecast which can be verified in a measurable way--- lets get specific:

------ When will the base snowpack depths crack the 1m and then 2m mark for both Niseko & Hakuba at village level ?-------- ( winners are deemed to be those whose predicted dates are closest to the dates of the Snowjapan daily resort reports )

( maybe SJ could even offer some sort of prize for the winner to add incentives....???)

The champions of this challenge will be crowned the Supreme Weather Overlords sometime during the next winter ( and the losers will be mocked, vis-a-vis: Iron Chefu !!! )

Carry on - let the games begin!!!

(except for Pie Eater who seems to nail it with his uncanny ability to predict the EXACT conditions of winter well in advance- year in, year out ;) )

I'd just like to say that it may well seem simple, but it jolly well isn't!

:grandpa:

There's no fannying about.

And lots of science stuff. (As well as wise advice from jellyfish and kamemushi. And some oba-sans).

Hello, first post.

I'm a relative newbie at snowboarding, but I went a handful of times this past winter, and it's been a long summer of missing it.

Does anyone have any tips for places in Gifu that won't have entirely terrible snow in November? Or is December the earliest I can expect without travelling to Hokkaido?

I don't know about Gifu, but November isn't really into the season anywhere, it's very early.

A wide generalisation again but most places the season starts mid to late December.

Balls. Well, at least there's the basketball season. And GTA Online. And porridge. With cinammon in.

Even Hokkaido will be lucky if it's going in November. I think some resorts have opening days around the end of November but it's hit n miss if they are open or open enough to warrant the effort to go