• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Can't help think of cakes when I see that.

It looks like it's digging up bits of cake.

Then, adding a new flavour into the cake mix, and mixing it up.

Flattening it out with a giant (presumably) rolling pin and plonking a great big thick layer of icing on top.

:yummy:

Obviously, either perhaps the biggest cake in the world, or an extremely small digger (kawaiiii!)

I just noticed the 1-2m scale shown in the video, so obviously it's the biggest cake in the world. And the digger is normal size, or at least about normal size.

:thumbsup:

:lol:

Interesting stuff.

I just found this:

"An unusual feature of Japanese housing is that houses are presumed to have a limited lifespan, and are generally torn down and rebuilt after a few decades, generally twenty years for wooden buildings and thirty years for concrete buildings"

Honto? Just 20 years? I would guess pretty much all of the houses in my neighbourhood are older than 20, lots of them considerably more........

Can't help think of cakes when I see that.

It looks like it's digging up bits of cake.

Then, adding a new flavour into the cake mix, and mixing it up.

Flattening it out with a giant (presumably) rolling pin and plonking a great big thick layer of icing on top.

:yummy:

Obviously, either perhaps the biggest cake in the world, or an extremely small digger (kawaiiii!)

The mind of pie-eater! :lol:

Well, the place I am in is 19 years old I know that.

It's in pretty good shape. Come to think of it, nothing has been done to it and it's kept really well.

It's certainly not due to be closed up or remodelled.

I can just about imagine the amount of thought that needs to be poured into this, if you decide to go your own route and have a 注文ハウス.

Makes for interesting reading.

Good luck to you all.

The biggest decision with a chumon house though is your choice of the builder or architect and builder. That sets the boundaries for the other choices you can make.

Getting back to Scouser's question but we had a lot of stuff to decide when building started. So long as you know where the services need to be and plan for realistic sizes of what you're going to install, you can get away with it.

Our last place was only five minutes' away so I went and had a look several times a week. In Japan, they don't enforce stuff like hardhats and no kids onsite, so its much easier. My old dear freaked a bit when they were here because she thought you shouldn't disturb the tradesmen when they're working. My impression was that the Japanese tradesmen aren't bothered by it.

I felt the companies all offered pretty much a similar service - though as I have proved I'm not brilliantly up on the subject of building houses.

Important to us was a company that was easy to deal with, responsive, had no worries communicating with me (!), and would try to do things at a reasonable cost - but do what we wanted (which is pretty much specify everything with few exceptions). I'm happy so far with the choice, they have been very good in changing things around and being flexible to our many requests.

I hope they do us good.

Our last place was only five minutes' away so I went and had a look several times a week. In Japan, they don't enforce stuff like hardhats and no kids onsite, so its much easier. My old dear freaked a bit when they were here because she thought you shouldn't disturb the tradesmen when they're working. My impression was that the Japanese tradesmen aren't bothered by it.

I dropped by at least a couple times a week with canned coffee and bottles of tea for the workers at lunch time, as recommended to me by others at the time.

Decided to go with Teak for the flooring after seeing in a showroom.

It looked beautiful:

http://www.woodtec.co.jp/products/lineup/flooring/livenaturallimited/teak.html

This is the week of many decisions. Well, by the end next week anyway. Can't wait, getting fed up of it now really, but last stretch.

Budget is being pushed up again slightly, but after some encouragement from family who reminded me how much cheaper land and house is compared to back home, and how I'll only be doing this once (for a long time anyway).... what are budgets for, hey?

Work started now for both you guys?

Yes they started doing the land strengthening work this week ready for the foundations.

It is basically all go from now on.

Met with a 照明士 today to go over lighting. Already knew most of it, just getting some final advice before signing off. Wanted to be sure the plan was sound and fit for the rooms. Just a few adjustments advised.

We have ended up with NONE of the default lighting :lol: , lots of 素敵な brackets, light bouncing off walls, downlights, a few pendants, spotlights and dimmers.

He actually said it was fun for him as most people just plump for one great big headache-inducing light plonked in the middle of the ceiling and that's it. I really hate that, none of that in my house. Much prefer subtle and atmosphere.

yeah I hate that as well.......people over here seem to love strip lights in the middle of the ceiling.....makes it seem like you are watching TV in a office! I always like a warmer light from a lamp or what not

I hate the lights in most of my Japanese friends houses. They are often so bright as mentioned or just so basic and unimaginative. What a waste.