The 100,000 yen is the initial estimated cost of making the changes which would involve taking out a pillar, concrete work, taking out and adding new bolt, and reinforcements elsewhere.

The improved door would be more. I estimate probably looking at a total of about 200,000 yen.

It's a lot, and a waste.... but I don't want to live 30 years regretting not putting the bigger door in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Dumbstick it is worth seriously considering the change. It will be a bitch afterwards if you decided you really wanted to change it. We did spend some time on the genkan door, simply because it is the main thing we see as we enter our house and so do many others. Not that we are building it for others to look at of course.

We went for the oyaku door because that is what we wanted, as we thought it is nice to have that extra width if required, and it enhances the look of our house, well at least we hope it will.

10 man to shell out sucks, but better than being stuck with a door that you don't like later!

100k for a door??!! Really, how much if a diff is it going to make? I'd let it slide if it was costing me 100k

Like dumbstick said a good door costs upward of 400,000.

Our door cost a lot more than 100,000. Rather I wished it did only cost 100,000 yen! Doors in this country are crazy expensive, totally ridiculous.

I'll have to wait for an official total costing, but I'm inclined to do it.

Actually, our front door is a bit 'inside' the genkan area and so not quite as clearly visible as many front doors. Even so, I want it to looks nice - for ourselves. And I don't want to be always feeling its just slightly too small and wishing it was bigger. It's not as if the current one would be tiny, just doesn't feel big enough and seeing as though we are doing everything else really nice in the house...

I feel somewhat silly now wondering why I hadn't spent more time on this, but with so many things and so many decisions I'm happy it's just this ( at the moment! ). In a way I feel lucky that we caught this before it was too late, even if it involves a ar chunk of avoidable cost.

:friend:

Tubby, the list price for a nice quality genkan door is upwards of 400,000 yen.

Wow!! I don't think any door is worth that! Having worked in B&Q at home and seen how cheap doors are there, I simply could t spend almost 1000 pounds on a door. (100k)

JA, I am aware that it includes labour costs etc

How big a difference is the door? In what way would it be benefit you?

Like GG says, if u can afford it then knock yourself out.....for me I just do t think I could.

They are very nice, well made modern doors of course, insulation etc etc.

They should be, ne!

The one I have a request on is around 500,000 yen list price. That will come down considerable of course through the builders and I hope no more than 100,000 yen added on to our current budgeted one we had planned. So with the changes and work needed, 200K in total.

Will let you know how it goes!

The problem with building new houses is how you expectations keep on rising and those costs keep on going up as you want something better.

Seen it happen many times and it's natural really - we always want the best we can get.

I sympathise!

:)

In the case of the front door, I do think you would probably regret not going with the wider one in the future so as others have said if you can afford to do so, I'm swallow the wasted and go for it.

I suppose taking into account the total amount of money you are spending on the house, 100k is chump change.....just considered separately it seems a large sum. If you are going to all this trouble to build a perfect home for yourself then yeah, I guess it is worth it.

It's a bit scary how what used to seem like large numbers suddenly seem much smaller.

I can easily accept the extra for the improved door, it's the 100,000 yen that is a waste which is the difficult bit to swallow. Hate wasting money!

Just heard back..... if I want to make the change, total additional cost would be 235,000 yen.

The new door would be a significant upgrade on the one we had in our budget, so it's not just the remodelling.

Need to decide in the next day or two.

Off to go rob a bank now, so speak later.

Lesson learnt! Not done too bad though, can't think of any other 'misses'...... so far!! :doh:

Dumbstick I reckon you done well.

I nearly missed the hot water pipe for the washing machine which is why I mentioned it to you as so easy to over look (a bit later and that would have been a lot more money required).

I too think we have covered everything ok but until we actually move in only then will we know if we got everything right.

Will be too late then of course .

Just heard back..... if I want to make the change, total additional cost would be 235,000 yen.

The new door would be a significant upgrade on the one we had in our budget, so it's not just the remodelling.

Need to decide in the next day or two.

Off to go rob a bank now, so speak later.

Lesson learnt! Not done too bad though, can't think of any other 'misses'...... so far!! :doh:

I'm a master at justifying the cost of anything I ever want to buy (one of the reasons I now have 6 surfboards and 4 snowboards). So just think about it this way: how many times over the course of your life in that house will you use / see that door? A very conservative estimate over the next 30 years would be about 18,000 times (600 times a year). That means you only pay about 13¥ every time you look at it. Not very much, right? If you regret not doing it that means you'll be reminded of your mistake 18,000 times. See! That makes it easy to decide!

How's your project, snowdude?

Waiting on the weather still?

No all going ahead as planned actually and especially as it is looking like keeping mostly dry after tonight for the next week.

Yesterday they started with the frame and panels.

Definitely the right choice.

You don't want a really nice house and a narrow front door. The wider ones look much better I think.

I reckon you'll probably soon forget that extra cost, but you wouldn't soon forget about the door if you didn't change it.

So, good decision.

:thumbsup:

I might call on you one day for some more of your skills there, Black Mountain! ;)