BM has it conceptually nailed, though I think PET bottles tend to get used in people's workshops, not their living rooms where you don't want a bucket on the floor.

Bendy pipes are poor performers by the sounds and even the straight ones are best if they are short and have a prism thing to collect more light.

If you're getting leaks in a dry country like Oz, they are probably going to be a nightmare in a wet part of Japan. A few houses on Grand Designs have had solar pipes, but they have still looked very dark.

On Kickstarter, there is an automated sun-tracking mirror called Sunnybot which can reflect a strong beam of sunlight into your pad. Provided that it doesn't start a fire (!), it might work a bit better.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

If you're getting leaks in a dry country like Oz, they are probably going to be a nightmare in a wet part of Japan. A few houses on Grand Designs have had solar pipes, but they have still looked very dark.

Problem is in the installer, not the concept. In Japan, you'd need to be certain that he blokes doing the install do a damned good job - of course, you could always go to the LED style like we have! ;)

And it DOES actually rain here - we get 600+mm a year on average, and some places get a shirtload more than that.

snowdude you probably plan to do this anyway but.....

I totally advise being there with the electrician to talk things through before he starts doing his thing.

I have spent a few half days now going through stuff, and a few potential :doh: 's have been avoided (air conditioner socket and other related).

I am generally very happy with our building company, but ultimately it's us who want to love our house most to the finest details and so always best to check and check that things are understood.

There's the risk of being urusai, but hey it's our house!

:thumbsup:

600mm of rain? Hakuba gets three times that! ;)

We've got a small but visible socket above our kitchen hood which the electrician thought would be hidden by the chimney. Our hood doesn't have a chimney and vents straight out of the wall because its the only way we could fit everything in. The electrician didn't know because fitting vents is a different trade. The wall the socket is in is tiled, so it would be a lot of hassle and cost to move the socket and cover the hole.

There are bigger mistakes elsewhere in our house, mostly mine, and I'm a firm believer in the "you have to build three houses to get it right" saying, but what Dumbstick says is great advice. The more exacting you are, the more you have to double check all of the details.

That saying really is right isn't it.

I'm trying my bestest best to do as much as possible right, but no doubt there will be some things that I might still miss. Luckily that genkan door one before was caught before it was too late.

The electrician has our kitchen and bathroom plans and so I presume he's planning those bits around those..... they don't make much sense to me so there's not much I can say about those areas.

He seems really competent though and has made suggestions that have been a big help, he seems very keen to do a good job, so I have confidence in him.

He also has a towel wrapped around his head which makes him look the part I reckon.

:)

Said it before though, this has been such a huge learning process.

And without doubt if I was doing another house, I would be much better prepared with all of the basics and probably do some things a bit differently.

snowdude you probably plan to do this anyway but.....

I totally advise being there with the electrician to talk things through before he starts doing his thing.

I have spent a few half days now going through stuff, and a few potential :doh: 's have been avoided (air conditioner socket and other related).

I am generally very happy with our building company, but ultimately it's us who want to love our house most to the finest details and so always best to check and check that things are understood.

There's the risk of being urusai, but hey it's our house!

:thumbsup:

Thanks.

But yes we will go over it with the sparky together as we may have missed something.

So much to think about.

It never seems to end.

The next thing with us is air conditioners. We have 3 included in our agreed costings, but it's not clear exactly which ones.

Almost inevitably, I'm going to want to upgrade those.

Learning, learning.

While I'm confident they are doing a fine job, I think I'm just worried that you'll see something that is less than perfect and mention it and my fantasy perfect house will be shattered and my mind will fixate on it forever and ever.

:lol:

How's your progress, snowdude?

Electicians been in over a week now. The amount of cables all over the place is... scary. :lol:

I think I'll be glad when the stick the insulation in and close off the walls and the ceilings because right now it's looking pretty ridiculous and a bit of a mess!

Electicians been in over a week now. The amount of cables all over the place is... scary! :lol:

I think I'll be glad when the stick the insulation in and close off the walls and the ceilings because right now it's looking pretty ridiculous.

Ah! That reminds me of a piece of advice I was given (and followed): Take pictures of where the wiring and other cables are run before they cover it all over. Could be useful later if you need to drill or cut into the wall and don't want to risk hitting anything.

Electicians been in over a week now. The amount of cables all over the place is... scary. :lol:

I think I'll be glad when the stick the insulation in and close off the walls and the ceilings because right now it's looking pretty ridiculous and a bit of a mess!

About 10 days behind. Having said that they are making a very very good job of putting everything together bit by bit. We still don't have the roof on, today when I went they were working on putting up the 2nd floor walls and the roof should go on this coming week.

From what I have seen with all the joints and beams it looks extremely solid and well put together.

The support beams for the 2nd floor alone consist of 7 planks of wood all bonded and screwed together to form one beam. It is about 25cm think!

What I like about our house maker is that everything is carefully put together by hand bit by bit in a particular order.

Only time will tell how the rest goes, but so far it is looking good. The carpenter there today said that among all the houses he has worked on the company that we are with is one of the best designed he has seen for a wood house. It is a bitch to construct as he has to use three plans together for each part otherwise it makes no sense, according to him, most companies only need one plan .

So I was happy to hear that.

Will keep you all posted on how it progresses.