Looks like you'll beat us then!

They have been working long days and it is coming together, but still lots to do.

I reckon it'll still be around 20th October.

Our panels are up, the kitchen goes in on Wednesday as well as balconies.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Yes, we have some fancy double glazing ( fancy means I don't know the details at all, and sounds good... actually thats one area where I haven't done massive research as i liked the ones in the build houses we saw and I am pleased with how they look and feel ).

I think basic double glazing is standard.

Triple (?) seemed unnecessary, we are in a very quiet place.

DS, is it double glazing or just 2 sheets of glass?

True double glazing has a vacuum between the layers, and is more than just sound deadening - it is also a greatly improved thermal insulation.

We have 3 glass layers in our main doors, the centre layer is a brass light (sorta like leadlight but with brass separating pieces) and the inner and outer layers are plain glass just set into the frame. No vacuum at all, just an extra glass.

Only 6 weeks or so away, that will soon come!

It will.

It's really quite strange. As much as I am totally involved in all this and visit many times, I still am not really grasping that come 2 months or so I will actually beliving there.

Going to get down with the details of curtains from the weekend.

On the windows issue, the main manufacturers of windows in Japan still push aluminium frames, which limits the value of the double glazing going in many homes, probably most newbuilds outside Hokkaido. We've got an aluminum/pvc composite windows and the infrared thermometer I have (great gadget btw) says the frames get much colder than the glass. There is a weird one in Japan in that builders will cover whole houses in pvc siding, which usually doesn't look very good, but still issue propaganda about the longevity of pvc windows, a much more sensible use of the material.

Hi :wave:

Interesting thread.

We went through this last year, building a house in Yamagata.

When we first started out, the idea even of a tateiru excited us, but soon realised that we wanted a much more custom built house.

I can't imagine ever being satisfied with one built tateuri now.

Recognise lots of the stages, and feelings.

Good luck with it all. Sounds like you have put tons of thought into what you want. Sure it will be great.

One piece of advice I would give:

Always go for it*.

By that I mean if you are trying to decide between two things, with one being of higher quality but more expensive... and you feel that you really do want it and you can comfortably afford it in your circumstance.... do it.

You will very likely regret it if you don't.

*Within reason of course.

When you walk into a car showroom, they're very happy to show you all the nice alloys and stereos and interiors and aero parts you can pay more to have.That's just for a car, more often than not a non-luxury car, which half the people will only use a couple of days a week and will ditch for a fraction of its original cost in five or six years time. With builders, you tell them you don't want wallpaper or solid flooring in the house you're going to use everyday and live in for decades and half of them will be straight in with "Takai! Takai!"

So desu ne.

I think I said this before, but in the process I almost wish the builders had been more pushy about optional upgrades and alternative things.

We have tons of 'upgrades' or whatever you want to call them, but almost all of them are coming from my side.

The latest one is I don't want the meters (electric) on the side of the house to just be plonked on the side there like almost every house here.

Some kind of container/box - even if it needs to be transparent on the front bit or something - would look so much better than how most houses have them.

(If anyone has good ideas, keen to hear!)

It has been me asking about this, not the building company offering options.

I suppose most Japanese just don't care about stuff like that.

I reckon they may well probably just put it down to me being a gaijin with different needs, rather than be something that other people might actually want.

This is not to say that they don't do quality work, I'm very pleased with their work and attention to details.

No complaints about any work so far.

Hi rabba :wave:

We buried the cables going into our house. However, that still meant we had to have a pole on our land to hook up the wires coming from the pole in the street. The builder found us an old wooden one, so its not as bad as it could have been, but it still ended up with quite a bit of clutter on it, the meter and cable covers, none of which I imagined. A quaint old telegraph pole it is no longer. The only saving grace is that the pole's given me something I can hook a hammock off.

Are the windows in both your houses gonna be double glazing? Is that standard now on new builds?

Ours are triple glazed and gas filled.

Our windows are not standard they are up graded and they are made from very thik PVC. Main reason we went for these windows is for the insulation/warmth factor in winter as it is a very cold area.

They also work to keep heat out in summer.

Yes this gas filled thing, apparently we have that. But just the double.

On the subject of not wanting to regret later on, we decided to buy quality furniture from the go... with a little help from our parents.

So it's order made solid (black) walnut throughout the house - dining table, sofa, cabinets, desk, living room table, tv stand, bed, bed side tables.

Not cheap, and a bit of a gulp on ordering, but they are (I hope) going to look gorgeous.

:friend:

I hope we'll look back and be happy with the decision.

:shifty:

We are buying some new furniture and staying with old table, hot carpet and sofa as we are sure our dogs will want to mark their new house once we move in.

The younger dog hasnt grown out of chewing our tables legs yet.

Omce that has all passef then it wil/ be upgrade the sofa and table.

Very fat!

The outside of our house is now pretty much done, and inside all the walls are in and only about 1 more week with the carpenters.

After that it'll be things like wallpaper, lights and sockets and stuff.

Been told that they should have the inside almost ready by 2nd week of October.

Exciting seeing it all come together. I suppose I'm so used to talking about details and worrying about things, that actually seeing it suddenly happen and look like a house is a bit of a shock.

New worry is what to do outside re: concrete (which in some parts will be covered with some rather nice looking slate/stone style things).

Anyone off hand know about how much concrete costs per sq m?