• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

The best known fiber cement siding, Hardiplank, is fitted by simply placing the boards next to each other (butt joints). Caulking is optional.

http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/James-Hardie-2001-Instructions.pdf

With plastic or fiber cement siding, its not going to deteriorate if a tiny bit of water gets behind. The vapor barrier below will stop it getting any further. All houses should have eaves so its not as if non-wind blown rain will be hitting the wall anyway.

Difficulty or inability to cut boards midway may be a bigger negative from an appearance standpoint than interlocking joints on full length boards stopping infiltration is a positive.

The best known fiber cement siding, Hardiplank, is fitted by simply placing the boards next to each other (butt joints). Caulking is optional.

http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/James-Hardie-2001-Instructions.pdf

With plastic or fiber cement siding, its not going to deteriorate if a tiny bit of water gets behind. The vapor barrier below will stop it getting any further. All houses should have eaves so its not as if non-wind blown rain will be hitting the wall anyway.

Difficulty or inability to cut boards midway may be a bigger negative from an appearance standpoint than interlocking joints on full length boards stopping infiltration is a positive.

That is what ours is the Fibre cement with the lap joint to stop water getting in. There is no need for any fillers.

http://www.structure...nstructions.pdf

Most houses up this way don't have eaves they are predominantly flat roofed, cube like houses.

Yes that's right. The point I was trying to make though was about you saying that they didn't want to cut the planks because they interlock at the finished ends. The thing I linked to doesn't interlock, so cutting isn't an issue with it.

Shoji. I love em too. We've got them in about four rooms. Our main room has yukimi-shoji, ones where the bottom slides up to allow "snow viewing", but you have to sit on the floor to get the angle. The shoji in our main room slide away into pockets in the wall so they don't block the windows during the day. It was our architect's idea and it has worked really well. Our Japanese room has old shoji with an intricate lattice which are called shoin style.

Even though they're only paper, shoji are usually more effective than curtains in stopping draughts off windows, because there are no gaps.

I like them, but our new house does not have any, and no tatami room either as we never use the one we in this house except as a clothes storage room, plus it would not match our house as we have gone for a kind of east European style.

I remember when my friend moved from a place he had been in for 10+ years.

In that time he had almost never lifted up his futon.

When he did so at the end, the futon was literally black, soggy and wasted away under it.

It was absolutely disgusting.

How's progress snowdude? They sorted out the outside thing for you? Must be only a few weeks off for you.

We're promised second week of October to be 'ready'.

Anyone know what this 'inspection' by the town office entails?

• SnowJapan Admin

End of October here.

On the subject of siding, we're having the KMEW on our place as well - it seems to be the most used siding in this region for some reason anyway.

Actually, having some on the inside as well.

Behind the telly in an alcove, and there'll be some gentle light shining down on it from the top. That's the grey-ish one. Not up and done yet, so it remains to be seen what it looks like!

siding.jpg