• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

How's progress snowdude? They sorted out the outside thing for you? Must be only a few weeks off for you.

Have told that only 3m panels exist and that the joints are unavoidable.

So I will be meeting with the house maker and foreman on Sunday to discuss what best to do.

I am going to have them redo it all from next week its just the matter of how.

I am thinking to go for just one solid join line between the two windows as apposed to the two offset line miss one line combination that they have now.

The sides cant do much about as they are too long so fair enough.

I have sketched some layout plans that I will bring with me to show them exactly how I want it done.

Trouble is it will take about 10 days extra which might mean we cant move in on the Oct bank holiday weekend.

My wife likes it as it is. Typical bloody Japanese though.

Even the builders tell me how they have done it will mean the lines are less noticeable than a solid line.

Decisions decisions.

Dumbstick does your walls have join lines governed by the panel sizes or are the joints lined up for example in the middle of the window , etc?

Our joints are simply where the panels join they do not line up with anything.

Hard to explain.

Just tried to make it look as good as possible, knowing the size of the panels.

For the longest wall, it's just under the size of 3 panels. So I had them make each panel almost the same size so it was nicely spaced. I say almost because one was adjusted so that it goes down exactly the center of a window.

Stuff like that.

But yes I gave them very clear instructions on how I wanted it, taking into account the sizes.

Hope it works out for you.

Have told that only 3m panels exist and that the joints are unavoidable.

snowdude, did you not know this before?

I thought you said there were long long ones?

There are longer ones but not for the ones we have chosen so it seems.

There are 5m panels but we would have to go for a completly different type which I dont want.

I was not concerned about panel lengths before because I was told I would not see joints.

Behind the telly in an alcove, and there'll be some gentle light shining down on it from the top. That's the grey-ish one. Not up and done yet, so it remains to be seen what it looks like!

siding.jpg

Interesting idea that, bet not many people do it.

I am thinking to go for just one solid join line between the two windows as apposed to the two offset line miss one line combination that they have now.

I'm struggling to understand what that means, but would it help to find out how flooring is laid? Some kind of staggering (random or non random) of the joins seems normal.

Again this just applies to our style where the panels are just over 3m long.

gallery_4818_22_4017.gif

If you need 3 panels on a side, and the side is not not exactly that length, they can do one of the above.

A and B look nicer and regular, depending on your thoughts and perhaps placement of windows etc, but lots of places seem to do C by default which often looks rubbish and as if no thought has been put into it at all.

The vertical lines/joins on our house though are all in the same vertical line. I think it would look awful with lots of different join places.

Again this just applies to our style where the panels are just over 3m long.

gallery_4818_22_4017.gif

If you need 3 panels on a side, and the side is not not exactly that length, they can do one of the above.

A and B look nicer and regular, depending on your thoughts and perhaps placement of windows etc, but lots of places seem to do C by default which often looks rubbish and as if no thought has been put into it at all.

The vertical lines/joins on our house though are all in the same vertical line. I think it would look awful with lots of different join places.

I guess ours is like B but with the join line on every other panel so not a solid line but it is in line from top to bottom. A bit like tye dotted lines on a road type pattern.

Ill make a diagram of what ours is like after as I dont have a good pic.

Can't get better than near Mt Granview, that's for sure.

:thumbsup:

Do any Japanese places get made of bricks?

As far as I know only the false brick panels, otherwise they would collapse in an earthquake.

I have been speaking to others and my father and they are all telling me, how our house is done is correct where the panels overlap which is done for strength as much as anything.

A single line would be less strong, which is logical of course. I know a lot, but not all houses I have looked at are done like ours, except for the ones that have the longer panels.

So I am wondering do I go with the majority or go against what I am being recommended/told? Just I don't like imbalance and I really need to tell them by this Sunday if I want them to change the panels, otherwise it is going to be too late as the house is getting well on its way.

Below is a diagram I made to show how our house panels are put on at the moment, which everyone tells me is the correct way to do siding.

med_gallery_8995_319_805.jpg

It is indeed, SJHQ is moving.

Obviously, a dream move.

It somehow feels like this is what we have been working towards.

;)

We'll all be needing takkyubin delivery instructions of course, so we can send our gear forward when dropping in for visits.

Will this be posted in time for the coming season?

:wave:

I have been speaking to others and my father and they are all telling me, how our house is done is correct where the panels overlap which is done for strength as much as anything.

A single line would be less strong, which is logical of course. I know a lot, but not all houses I have looked at are done like ours, except for the ones that have the longer panels.

So I am wondering do I go with the majority or go against what I am being recommended/told? Just I don't like imbalance and I really need to tell them by this Sunday if I want them to change the panels, otherwise it is going to be too late as the house is getting well on its way.

Below is a diagram I made to show how our house panels are put on at the moment, which everyone tells me is the correct way to do siding.

med_gallery_8995_319_805.jpg

so this is how they have done the siding, but you would prefer a single line in the middle of the 2 windows? Personally, I prefer the way they have already done it, and I think it will be less noticeable this way, as well as being stronger. However, I don't have to live there, you do. If this is something that will drive you crazy every time you see it, get it done the way you want now, rather than spend the next 20 years wishing you had.

snowdude, I'm not questioning the correctness of it, but what is it about what you showed above that is 'correct'?

The way it is done on our house is how all lap siding is done so everyone is telling me it is the normal around the world for lap siding.

I am not saying ours is more correct than others I am saying this is how I have been told lap siding is done not the same probably for other types of panels of course.

So what I am saying is that they have not done ours wrong even though I dont like the joins where they are.

The spacing is random which is what I am not happy with but it is governed by the panel lengths. To get even spacing they would have to put in extra joints or line the all up in one place. I am going today actually to look at some other houses with them not ones that they have built to see some similar lap siding houses one they found where all the joints are lined and one where it is more similar to ours to see how they look from a distance and close up.

Then we will go to ours and compare.

It will be interesting to see how it looks.

They have advised me that how it is done now is stronger and better looking.

Also just been told that if it is changed to how I want then the outside panels maybe be void of there 30 year guarantee because they will no longer be to a set standard. Although they will change them if I request it.

Anyway off now to go see these houses and then discuss with them.