I just find it strange that anyone feels the need to use a photo that is not actually of the area to promote the area. There are plenty of great photos out there that are actually from then Niseko area, why not use one of those.

Agreed.

As for the 20m snowfall, you are probably right about that, however it might be best if the 14.8m village level statistic is the one that people use. It would not be a problem to then claim that there has probably been significantly more at the peak.

Absolutely agree.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ippy.....are you Jynxx in disguise?  

But 14.8m just doesn't sound as "epic" does it. Let's at least flavor it up with some hype, now.

What are the other words we use, Mike.... amazing, incredible, powdertastic etc?

Side bar:

Personally I don7t give a crap about 5m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 20m, 5000m of snow.

It's the bit you ride on that matters.

If I visit a resort on holiday I would like to know the conditions at the time of my expected visit AND how much has fallen during the season and how often it fell.

In terms of terrain available and safe to ski there is a massive difference between

early snowfall and not much since - read lots of Europe this season

late snowfall with a very dangerous snowpack - read lots of the US this season

consistent snowfall throughout the season - read Hokkaido

The thread about Zao Onsen being inaccessible because of the reactor problems in Fukushima got me thinking about some of the totally ridiculous claims people make. Then I came across this and can't stop myself from posting it.

A claim about Niseko (from March 21st):

85502_v1.jpg

20 meters so far this season and she's still dumping, biggest snow in 60 years!!

Seriously!? You're going to use a photo of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (IN NAGANO!!!) to make a ridiculous claim about Niseko?

Anyone else come across any doozies these days?

This photo is certainly not from this year, it is a promotional photo that is used by some of the travel agents I have seen it before! It also looks like it has been photo shopped as there are no people in this one unlike the ones I have seen.

There is one floating around on Facebook claiming (saw it on the burton page) the same thing 20m etc etc 2012 record year, shame the photo was taken in 2009.

But 14.8m just doesn't sound as "epic" does it. Let's at least flavor it up with some hype, now.

What are the other words we use, Mike.... amazing, incredible, powdertastic etc?

I'm still surprised that many people on here are surprised that there are dickheads up on Hokkaido hyping it up.

And you forgot 'beautiful', 'fabulous', 'siiiiicccckkkk', 'deeeeeeeeeepppp' and 'all time' SKI.

Anyway I'm off to ski some Kiroro powder.

ah, if it gets people coming here i dont really mind. The more english speaking tourists, the more chance there is that english speaking tourists might want to head off the beaten track next year or the year after and the more likely theyll come here and ask questions. :) And if they do go there and have a great time theyll keep the oily wheels of advertising working and maybe even decide to open up some dorm lodging at unknown skijo giving me a cheap place to kip. It always comes back to me in my universe. :)

I felt I'd put on a bit of weight recently....too much down time playing on the computer, so I decided to give this revolutionary new workout a go.........

Fat-Slob.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1257438904107

its easy and simple, just stand on your tip toes twice a day while yawning, and the weight just dropped off.....this is after 3 days....

muscle-man.jpg

nothing wrong with a bit of hype

Though it might be an issue, i honestly cant think of a single person who came to japan and had a shit time boarding. I mean no ones saying "come to niseko in september and experience the winter wonderland of 20m snow!" (which is a little closer to the mark on the fitness regime).

In addition we did have quite a decent season. January and February were great. Seki hit 6m, and i learned that nozawa doesnt suck for snow (it sucked every year ive been riding before it in comparison to myoko). So they added an extra 5m and threw in a tourist attraction to illustrate it... which is a bit silly when niseko has its own selling points. But japan sells itself because of its snow. And it did deliver this year.

Hyping japans snow is hardly a bad thing.

If i did take umbrage to one part of it though, its that it mentions its still dumping... this is clearly disingenuous. Of course we're still getting drops here and there, but the peak has long passed. If the intention is to sell japanese ski resorts for this season, then its a little bit of an asshole thing to use. If, on the other hand, its to sell niseko for next year, then its not really painting that unrealistic a picture. We get a lot of snow. Its why people want to come here, and they seem to go home stoked about it.

Surprised at that, thought you liked correct info not hype ippy.

Personally I don't have any incling to try and do my bit to 'promote' skiing. It's not my job and I'm busy enough with what I do. If people come and like it, great.

Why people see fit to try and put out incorrect stuff, I just don't really get. This is coming from a not scrambling around for $$$$ background as well, so perhaps that is it.

If i did take umbrage to one part of it though, its that it mentions its still dumping... this is clearly disingenuous. Of course we're still getting drops here and there, but the peak has long passed. If the intention is to sell japanese ski resorts for this season, then its a little bit of an asshole thing to use. If, on the other hand, its to sell niseko for next year, then its not really painting that unrealistic a picture. We get a lot of snow. Its why people want to come here, and they seem to go home stoked about it.

It is snowing in the Niseko Resort Area as I type, and has done 5 of the last 8 days. It doesn't snow all day like it can do in January. But when it comes down, it's coming down deep and light.

There have been some glorious sunny Spring days this March. And there have been 4-5 grey, warm, miserable days as well.

And there have been some wonderful powder days too.

And there's powder out there at the moment, and plenty of it.

Weather forecast is calling for rain and a freezing level of 1550 m on Friday and then another dump and the freezing level dropping back to sea level on Saturday.

So get it while you can, or wait for the next storm.

Having said all those lovely words, I wouldn't recommend people to come now.

More than a few have gone home disappointed, whatever Mike insists.

I know, because I have taken them to the airport.

That's disappointing to read Nisoko but very changeable weather and snow conditions are a feature of Spring skiing at low altitude.

And there have been better conditions outside of the Niseko Resort Area in my experience, namely Kiroro, Rusutsu and Chisenupuri.

Well, yeah, exactly. :confused:

That is why I would not recommend people come now.

And a day or two aside, people have been disappointed with large chunks of March this year in Niseko.

That is what people who have visited have told me, and I agree with them.

I'm sure they would go 'HUH?' if they hear of continued amazing endless epic Niseko powder when talking about the time period they were there.

I have been somewhat amazed by the bs about snowfall coming out of Niseko this season. None of it is coming from this site thankfully. Most of it has come from a local magazine and one of the main tour operators in town. And then a whole lot of other operators seem happy to requote the same bs without any attempt to check it. It all started in Dec when there was a report on Japanese TV saying that parts of Hokkaido were experiencing the snowiest Dec in over 50 years. It was true that some parts were but they were nowhere near Niseko. Sure it was a great Dec with the biggest snowfall for 7 years but nothing like the imore than 50 years that was reported. It was a well below average Jan, a reasonable Feb (although Feb 09 had more) and so far this March has been very much below average. This is all going by stats from Kutchan which still remains the only truly reliable and accurate snowfall data in the region. For the season overall they might not even reach the same amount of snow that fell last season in Kutchan. One of the big differences though is that temperatures this winter have been cold with very few rain events or extended warm periods. This has meant very good snow quality for much of the season and allowed a pretty deep snowpack to build up. Still Kutchan will actually have a below average snowfall season.

The snowfall readings in the village this season that Mike refers to are by no means incredibly accurate but are the best estimate we've probably seen so far with one of the guys in town setting up a ruler on a table to measure daily snowfall accummulation. Main issue with it is that it is up against a wall which is not ideal. Still I think it's accurate enough to say that average snowfall at village level in Niseko would exceed 15m and up top around 20m (or more). Pretty damned impressive.

I know one thing for sure all the weather bs we've seen this season didn't happen whilst I was living there! ;)

• SnowJapan Admin

Just deleted a post - actually it was just a 'look at my blog' link really - by an unknown newcomer who obviously was just fishing for a bit of traffic.

Sorry, like was said before in this thread, no publicity on here (this topic) for anyone.

Not cool and we certainly don't support people trying to push intentionally incorrect info.

Cheers.

:friend:

Surprised at that, thought you liked correct info not hype ippy.

Personally I don't have any incling to try and do my bit to 'promote' skiing. It's not my job and I'm busy enough with what I do. If people come and like it, great.

Why people see fit to try and put out incorrect stuff, I just don't really get. This is coming from a not scrambling around for $$$$ background as well, so perhaps that is it.

Im a product of modern society. Ive had some 36 years of being bombarded by advertising so i reckon im getting good at being wry and cynical enough to see through it (though in truth when you know the code, youre actually being hailed as one of the smart ones and welcomed to 'the elite group of people that see the game...' so youre always a step behind) . That being said though, honestly... i love advertising and hype! i see it in much the same way as astrology, kiersey temperament sorters, and ghost trains that disappear into a wormhole and spend eternity riding between the future and the past! (true story... well, its a story which ipso facto shows that its true (as a story)).

I love the world, But its maybe a little boring when we see it as it really is and don't spend our time manufacturing monsters out of its shadows... which arent really monsters in its shadows at all, since its all pervasive and theres no special way of seeing 'beneath the veil'. Basically i like hype... i like everything we do because it makes the universe just a little more colorful.

As someone who i once read and long since forgot "If is the failure of capitalism is that it took all our dreams and repackaged them, it must be its greatness that it gave us so many more dreams than we could ever hope to imagine." (very loosely retold from memory). Put me down for a subscription to magical realism monthly is what im trying to say :) If ghosts dont exist (and they dont) the world loses something beautiful. If theres no stupid game to play, then id run out of stuff to be interested in (or may just end up in despair, living in my shack in Mt Granview never to be discovered by another human being and free from the trappings of modernity).

Its all tongue in cheek, but i like the game is what im saying. Which of course pins me to the flag of nihilsm. Which i guess means im generation Y after all :)