The thread about Zao Onsen being inaccessible because of the reactor problems in Fukushima got me thinking about some of the totally ridiculous claims people make. Then I came across this and can't stop myself from posting it.

A claim about Niseko (from March 19th):

85502_v1.jpg

20 meters so far this season and she's still dumping, biggest snow in 60 years!!

Seriously!? You're going to use a photo of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (IN NAGANO!!!) to make a ridiculous claim about Niseko?

Anyone else come across any doozies these days?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ippy.....are you Jynxx in disguise?  

I stronly dislike hypsters/scam artists and would go out of my way to avoid them, even if they offered something cheaper. How could you trust them anyway with bullshit like this?

The thread about Zao Onsen being inaccessible because of the reactor problems in Fukushima got me thinking about some of the totally ridiculous claims people make. Then I came across this and can't stop myself from posting it.

A claim about Niseko (from March 21st):

85502_v1.jpg

20 meters so far this season and she's still dumping, biggest snow in 60 years!!

Seriously!? You're going to use a photo of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (IN NAGANO!!!) to make a ridiculous claim about Niseko?

Anyone else come across any doozies these days?

This photo is certainly not from this year, it is a promotional photo that is used by some of the travel agents I have seen it before! It also looks like it has been photo shopped as there are no people in this one unlike the ones I have seen.

• SnowJapan Admin

I get very tired of seeing stuff like that too. Don't know how some people can sleep at night with the thngs they try to get away with.

And yes I agree - no publicity (names/links) for these people, even if it's 'bad publicity'. People like that do not deseve to have people even know about them. (Feel free to tell us in email/PM if you want).

Just for fun I thought I'd try to find the offending post, didn't find it, but did find another company using a similiar picture to promote Niseko. I guess if you don't know Japan very well any photo will do.

Going back to the original post, do you find the claim that the Niseko Resort Area had received 20m of snowfall this winter ridiculous, or the use of a Tateyama pic to visually illustrate what 20m of snow pack looks like, or both please?

There has been 14.8 m of snowfall at village level in Hirafu to date. 20 m of snowfall at the top lift station is not a ridiculous claim in my opinion.

But due to the nature of the snow up here a 20 m snowpack is ridiculous. We'd need much wetter snow and or significantlly more snowfall to achieve that.

Surely it is blindingly obvious that the ridiculous thing is using a photo of Tateyama, which is in Nagano ( and scenery that cannot be seein in Niseko ) to promote Niseko, which is in Hokkaido.

:confused:

Why not throw some Shiga Kogen snow monkeys in there too.....

I just find it strange that anyone feels the need to use a photo that is not actually of the area to promote the area. There are plenty of great photos out there that are actually from then Niseko area, why not use one of those.

As for the 20m snowfall, you are probably right about that, however it might be best if the 14.8m village level statistic is the one that people use. It would not be a problem to then claim that there has probably been significantly more at the peak.

You know the worse thing about Niseko and Hakuba and anywhere else bunches of foreign dickwads invade and start promoting with their bullshit?

Yes, it's the bunches of foreign dickwads that invade and start promotion with their bullshit.

Otherwise I quite like them.

Surely it is blindingly obvious that the ridiculous thing is using a photo of Tateyama, which is in Nagano ( and scenery that cannot be seein in Niseko ) to promote Niseko, which is in Hokkaido.

:confused:

Why not throw some Shiga Kogen snow monkeys in there too.....

It wasn't blindingly obvious to me based on the OP's original quote