The FOOTBALL Thread (2011-2012)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit of a shame really to have the Mancurians meeting this early

Didn't Sky used to put on FA cup games or was it just the semis and the final or something?

At first i was all like... hahahahahahahaahahaha!!! then i was all like, "well, there goes the last remaining slither of interest anyone might have about the SPL! but then i thought about it again and

Queen's Park Rangers want to dismiss Joey Barton, whom they expect to be banned for up to 11 games following his conduct at Manchester City on Sunday, though the lucrative terms of his long-term contract will make the cost of doing so a staggering £12.5m.

The Rangers manager, Mark Hughes, who is understood to have found Barton just as difficult to work with as did his predecessor, Neil Warnock, may have to soldier on with Barton on the club's books, despite some of the midfielder's team-mates finding his presence to be difficult and destabilising. Barton was signed last summer under a deal which sees him command a wage of £80,000 a week and which has three years left to run.

Hughes must decide whether to push for Barton's sale, though that may remove a large slice of the budget available for the manager to make good on his promise that Rangers will not flirt with relegation while he is in charge.

Anyone any words after that?

Barton on Twatter (apparently, I don't use it)

"Still not my proudest moment but who gives a f***. We are safe.

"The head was never gone at any stage. Once I'd been sent off, one of our players suggested I should try to take 1 of theirs with me. Never worked but god loves a trier.

---

The spat continued today after Lineker tweeted: "@joey7barton Still raging then? Still kicking out? And still, presumably, misunderstood? But only by yourself I suspect."

Barton appeared to threaten Lineker in response, posting: "@GaryLineker do u wanna go there publicly "Mr Squeaky Clean" ? Think u should have a look in that vast closet of skeltons (sic) before u respond.

"@GaryLineker I know a lot about THAT side to u the people don't and won't bat an eye lid at exposing u. So mind ur manners Squeaky...

"@GaryLineker now back under your stone you odious little toad..."

-

High culture, hey.

Queen's Park Rangers want to dismiss Joey Barton, whom they expect to be banned for up to 11 games following his conduct at Manchester City on Sunday, though the lucrative terms of his long-term contract will make the cost of doing so a staggering £12.5m.

The Rangers manager, Mark Hughes, who is understood to have found Barton just as difficult to work with as did his predecessor, Neil Warnock, may have to soldier on with Barton on the club's books, despite some of the midfielder's team-mates finding his presence to be difficult and destabilising. Barton was signed last summer under a deal which sees him command a wage of £80,000 a week and which has three years left to run.

Hughes must decide whether to push for Barton's sale, though that may remove a large slice of the budget available for the manager to make good on his promise that Rangers will not flirt with relegation while he is in charge.

Anyone any words after that?

Thank @#$% Newcastle got rid.

(Sam Allardyce signing by the way. In the same transfer window, he got rid of Scott Parker so he could sign Alan Smith)

Rio got 8 months for simply missing a test.

I wonder how much Barton will get for his multiple thuggery? 4 games perhaps.

Yes, let's fair!

A lawyer type on Times today, reprinted with kind permission (from my gran):

I am a Queens Park Rangers fan. I was lucky enough to be at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday. QPR played brilliantly and deserved to stay up, but Joey Barton took the edge off my celebrations. His conduct and his subsequent comments on Twitter are a stain on his club.

From a lawyer’s perspective, it’s arguable that Barton crossed the line from civil misdemeanour to criminal offence. His elbow in the face of Carlos Tévez will be regarded as an unpalatable incident to be dealt with by the football authorities, but his subsequent kick at Sergio Agüero could be seen as an assault and a matter for the police. Likewise, his attempt to head-butt Vincent Kompany. In 1994, Duncan Ferguson’s head-butt on John McStay, of Raith Rovers, resulted in a three-month prison sentence.

Barton’s tweets have made matters worse. The one to the effect that he attacked Agüero deliberately, after another QPR player suggested he try to get a Manchester City player sent off, is both defamatory of those QPR players who could reasonably have been able to say this to him and indicative not of hot-headed petulance but malice aforethought. The latter admission would serve him ill were criminal proceedings for assault ever brought.

The same man whose media makeover recently led him to appear on Newsnight went on to savage BBC pundits Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker. Here Barton upped the ante in civil law terms, making libellous comments of both men about which Lineker, especially, has good grounds to be consulting m’learned friends.

QPR arguably feel saddled with Barton but Sunday’s incident and his ensuing tweets may be enough for a rethink. Barton appears set on unconscionably bringing the club into disrepute, for which he could be sacked for gross misconduct. We can all make mistakes and some of us can lose our tempers, but there is a stage when enough is enough.

Ah just about calmed down now after that excitement.

I was a bit like you gg, didn't really believe at all until it got to the last 10 minutes or so when I started thinking "surely not"!!

And yappari, surely not.

Could hardly have been more dramatic could it.

Now we know how Bayern felt in 99.

Its got no attention in England but MOTHERWELL in the Champions League!

C'mon you ....

(I'll just go and look it up)

Yeah, due to Rangers being in administration, they missed the UEFA deadline so 3rd place got Scotland's 2nd Champs league "place". We were in the hunt till Rangers pumped us 5-0 :( ended up 3pts behind Mwell with a much higher GD.....if only!! Not like they (or we would've) are goona make it anywhere near the group stage but still a nice jaunt in the summer for the fans

Aston Villa being in the hunt for a manager might be forcing Liverpool to show their hand sooner rather than later.

At Villa by the way, McLeish was sacked. None of that "mutual consent" nonsense.

The King Is Sacked?

I like this quote:

"feels like social services have taken us away from our dad.

Time for uncle rafa to take us in."

:lol:

The mood around Dalglish now is definitely rather.... quiet.

Things aren't quite as quiet today! :lol:

Hey what do we all think of the terribly exciting England squad? ;)