The FOOTBALL Thread (2011-2012)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit of a shame really to have the Mancurians meeting this early

Didn't Sky used to put on FA cup games or was it just the semis and the final or something?

At first i was all like... hahahahahahahaahahaha!!! then i was all like, "well, there goes the last remaining slither of interest anyone might have about the SPL! but then i thought about it again and

After eight years at Chelsea, Didier Drogba has decided to leave the club. "I am readying myself for a great leap into the unknown," he said. "It will be another adventure." It's fitting that Drogba's last act for the Blues was to score the penalty that won the Champions League and it's now down to the grumpy duo of Fernando Torres and Romelu Lukaku to replace him

Parking the bus as a tactic?

Bayern Munich v Chelsea

Shots on target; 7 v 3

Shots off target; 14 v 3

Corners; 20 v 1

Possession; 56% v 44%

Territory: 63% v 37%

CAPELLO FOR LIVERPOOL?

'Fabio Capello is emerging as an increasingly serious contender to become the next manager of Liverpool,' begins the report in the Daily Telegraph, who claim that Roberto Martinez was interviewed on Sunday but that the former England manager 'is being discussed with increased seriousness' at Anfield.

Capello is thought to be interested in the Chelsea job - though he is not considered a 'serious candidate' for the post - and would prefer a managerial job in London. But the Telegraph claim 'he would give serious consideration should Liverpool make an approach'.

'Former Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas would appear to be the outstanding candidate,' continues the report, before listing a whole heap of names - Martinez ('does not feel he will be chosen'), Swansea City's Brendan Rodgers, Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp, Ajax's Frank de Boer (all ruled themselves out), Pep Guardiola ('little hope'), Louis Van Gaal ('strongly interested'), Bert Van Marwijk ('continuing to be mentioned') and Marseille coach Didier Deschamps ('admired').

Midfielder Owen Hargreaves will leave Manchester City on the expiry of his contract this summer, the Premier League club have confirmed.

The former England international, who has been plagued by injuries in recent years, joined Roberto Mancini's side last August after leaving city rivals United.

However, he played just four times - but only once in the Premier League with a 13-minute appearance in October - and scored a solitary goal in a Carling Cup victory over Birmingham.

The 31-year-old's last outing came in the 3-2 FA Cup third-round defeat to United on January 8 when he played the final eight minutes.

Hargreaves spent most of last summer trying to convince prospective clubs he was fully fit after having operations on both knees in 2008 and 2009 during his injury-hit spell at Manchester United, and he even resorted to posting videos on YouTube showing him training.

Mancini offered the former Bayern Munich star a chance after the player resisted interest from West Brom, but he was not included in the club's Champions League squad and started only two games, both in the Carling Cup, in his four appearances.

That quartet of games was as many as he had managed in the previous three seasons, however.

:rollabout:

Sorry, can't resist.

Perhaps he should tie up with Mickey Owen in a project to prove how fit they both are.

Phil Dowd, one of England’s porkiest referees, is facing a sudden fight to save his career after it emerged on Tuesday night that he has failed a fitness test to continue next season.

The news hit the 49-year-old Staffordshire official within three weeks of his proudest achievement of eating 20 steak pies in twenty minutes.

Dowd, who became a Football League referee in 1997, has just completed his 12th season in the Premier League. He must work to regain the rigorous fitness standards required of elite referees if he is to make a 13th campaign, but has been told that he needs to lose 30kg in the next 3 days.

Referees are regularly tested on a series of timed runs in order to meet the strict criteria. Dowd’s bosses want him to continue and there is no question of his age being an issue since the relaxation of automatic retirement rules. But the fact that he's a right porker goes against him.

"I just love pies", he said.

That was a good goal.

I see Barton has got 12 games ban and 75K fine.

The only good Bartons are the ones that make the picallily (and other nice people called Barton).

Kagawa scored a beauty of a goal tonight.

Sign him up Fergie!

I've not seen much of Kagawa, but like the Sneijder one last year, do ManYoo need more attacking players?

With Anderson being injury-prone, I think the real need is for a commanding midfielder who can put the boot in. Someone like Felliani from Everton. An upgrade at right back wouldn't go a miss either.

We sure need a midfield. We haven't really got one at the moment.

Must admit to not being full up on Kagawa, but isn't he a midfielder?

:doh:

Been neglecting the footie news.

Is Felliani the big hair dude?

Yeah that's him. Mr Microphone Head. He can spray it about and rough it up if need be. Good at attacking/defending set pieces in the air too.

I don't pay that much attention to Japanese footie, but I think Kagawa is a Van der Vaart type.

The one in the Japanese team that seems to get really stuck in is Hasebe.

Manchester United are closing in on a £17million deal for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Shinji Kagawa and are considering a fresh move for Tottenham’s Luka Modric.

Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said that ‘both sides want to conclude the deal’.

Looks like it might be happening

Shinji Kagawa has moved a step closer to finalising his dream move to Manchester United with German daily Bild reporting the Japanese playmaker has agreed personal terms with the club.

United have been on the trail of the 23-year-old for some time, and having agreed a £17.6million fee with his club, Borussia Dortmund, on Tuesday they are now said to have agreed terms with Kagawa's agent Thomas Kroth.

Unconfirmed reports claim Kagawa will put pen-to-paper on a five-year deal with United worth an estimated £100,000-a-week, part of which will be made up of lucrative image rights.

Kagawa, who helped Dortmund to a league and cup double for the first time in their history, is back in his homeland, but is now expected to travel to Manchester in the coming days to formalise his move to Old Trafford.

United failed with an initial bid €18m last week, but with Sir Alex Ferguson identifying the playmaker as his No1 transfer target this summer, the club wasted no time in bowing to Dortmund's demands.

Ferguson travelled to Berlin to watch Kagawa, who cost Dortmund just €350,000 from the J-League Cerezo Osaka in 2010, in action a fortnight ago when he scored in Dortmund's 5-2 win over Bayern Munich in the German Cup final.

That display convinced Fergie that the diminutive star has what it takes to be a star at the Theatre of Dreams as United set about wrestling the Premier League crown back from "nosiy neighbours" Manchester City next season.

One man who is convinced Kagawa will be a huge success at United is Hidetoshi Nakata, who told Sport360° he believes his compatriot will eventually rival Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as the world's best.

"Kagawa has everything in his game and can become as good as Messi and Ronaldo, provided he continues to work hard," said Nakata.

Kagawa netted 13 goals in 31 Bundesliga games for Dortmund last season and has been earmarked as the man to bring some"magic" back to United's much-maligned midfield.

Good points. Seems like a really good player. And we'll hear about United Kagawa every week on the Japanese news.

Bad points. We'll hear about Kagawa every week on the Japanese news, and they may mention United a bit. When United win, it will all be because of Kagawa.

;)