The FOOTBALL Thread (2011-2012)

I hope this happens

There's still a possibility of a playoff to decide the title. The Premier League website states: 'If two or more teams are equal on points, the winner is then determined by goal difference and then, if necessary, by the number of goals scored. Where teams are equal on points, the number of goals scored and goal difference, there will be a play-off to determine the winner.' Of course, for both teams to finish level on goal difference and goals scored, it would require United to beat Sunderland 9-0, and City to beat QPR 7-6. What? It could happen
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit of a shame really to have the Mancurians meeting this early

Didn't Sky used to put on FA cup games or was it just the semis and the final or something?

At first i was all like... hahahahahahahaahahaha!!! then i was all like, "well, there goes the last remaining slither of interest anyone might have about the SPL! but then i thought about it again and

the unpalatable truth is that we don't particularly deserve to win.

This is correct.

United don't.

It's hard to imagine City not winning now, do QPR have the capability of taking it to them next weekend?

No, there would need to be a bottling of massive scale and some serious luck.

Even though City have the upper hand, QPR still need one point for safety so they will be fighting for their survival.

If QPR were home, possibly. But I just can't see it at City.

Let's remember also United away at Sunderland is no dead cert either.

Citeh haven't been here before so that increases the chance that they'll eff it up.

Barton might also wind a couple of them up and throw them off their game.

He seems to manage it every time he plays Arsenal.

Great result for Wigan. It means they are staying in the premier league and Blackburn are relagated. I dislike Blackburn.

Citeh haven't been here before so that increases the chance that they'll eff it up.

Barton might also wind a couple of them up and throw them off their game.

He seems to manage it every time he plays Arsenal.

I think the difference now is that they have real quality in the team, rather than just being the Shitty of old.

Just can't see it happening and I think they'll walk it, but obviously would be extremely happy if they did cock it up! I won't be expecting it.

Disappointing again.

Imagine the atmosphere at City if they don't win at the weekend! We can only dream.

Manchester City have spent £930.4 million turning themselves into Premier League title contenders, a special Telegraph Sport survey of English football’s finances has revealed.

The figure, which is based on the club’s three most recent annual accounts, lays bare the true cash cost of taking the previously mid-ranking club to the brink of their first league triumph in 44 years.

It also exposes the scale of the task facing them as they seek to comply with Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations, which took effect at the start of this season.

The full extent of City's outlay is one of the key findings of the Telegraph’s unique survey of the financial health of the Premier League, based on clubs’ most recent accounts.

For the first time in a survey of this kind, the Telegraph can reveal exactly how much cash each club earned – and, crucially, spent – during a season.

The study has uncovered that in the 2010-11 season:

• Top-flight clubs spent £2.51 billion in cash, which was £285.8 million more than they earned.

• The Premier League generated £2.23 billion of income, which equates to 0.148 per cent of the entire output of the UK economy.

• Clubs spent almost £400 million on signings after player sales.

• Wages for players and staff cost clubs £1.52 billion.

• Premier League clubs’ net debt was £1.39 billion, costing them £97.2 million in debt-interest payments.

• City’s spending loomed large in the results for the league as a whole.

Between 2008, when Abu-Dhabi-based oil magnate Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahyan bought them, and the end of last season, the club’s total cash outlay was £930.4m, of which only £365.3m was generated from their own operations.

The remainder – £565.1m – had to be supplied by Mansour, the club’s billionaire benefactor.

That figure will have risen significantly over the course of the current season, although the exact final cost of winning the league will only be known when the next accounts are published in 2013.

Last summer, the club spent a further £53.6m net on new arrivals, which will be reflected in those accounts, although they also secured a sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways which was reported to be worth £400m.

When the gap between their income and expenditure peaked in the 2009-10 season, City were spending £3.04 for every £1 they earned, figures that show the battle they face to meet the “break-even requirement” of Uefa’s new rules.

Pretty ridiculous isn't it.

I doubt many City fans will care right now though. Not only because they are generally thickies ;) but becuase --- they will have won the league, whatever the background to the story.

I can't see financial fair play being enforced without lots of easily exploited loopholes.

they also secured a sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways which was reported to be worth £400m.

For English clubs, the danger would be ffp would only force the top clubs to increase their income by grabbing more of the tv money that is presently divvied up pretty fairly. Barca and RM already get about half of the tv money in Spain.

I can't see financial fair play being enforced without lots of easily exploited loopholes.

they also secured a sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways which was reported to be worth £400m.

When this happened, UEFA were notified and Platini said they were gonna investigate as it was against the FFP rules to simply have a sponsor like Etihad Airways, who are linked heavily with Sheik Mansoor and his family, spend over what the market value is deemed to be for sponsorship. I don't know how they will be able to enforce this but at least they did recognise that the whole naming the stadium and shirt sponsorship deal was just a whitewash to enable City to spend in contravention to the FFP rules.

Sunday

11pm

Sunderland vs Man Utd

Man City vs QPR

Stoke vs Bolton

1:30am

West Brom vs Arsenal

Spurs vs Fulham

-------------------------------

And that will be it.

Don't forget to cancel the subscription folks, do it now and it will run to the end of May so no worries. Not worth wasting 3000 yen or so a month from June-August.

I knew it, I knew it.

Webb and his mates cost us the league!

:grandpa:

Manchester United have cause for complaint as unique survey highlights Premier League errors

Manchester United would already be celebrating retaining their Premier League title, rather than preparing to surrender it to Manchester City, if every key refereeing decision had been made correctly this season, a study has shown.

Manchester City will win their first title for 44 years with victory against Queens Park Rangers at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday but thorough analysis of every big decision made by officials has revealed that Manchester United should be four points clear and already crowned as champions.

More than 200 hours has been spent analysing 674 decisions from all 370 games played this season including disallowed goals, penalty incidents and sendings-off.

Each replay was watched repeatedly in slow and super-slow motion with effort made to side with the referee where possible – decisions were not changed unless there was clear evidence that they should be.

The big calls that went against United and could have influenced the course of the title race included a penalty decision given against Rio Ferdinand for his tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa at Old Trafford last November, which meant they drew 1-1 with Newcastle.

There was also a potentially game-changing Jonathan Woodgate foul on Javier Hernández which was not given in the 1-1 draw at Stoke last September and should have resulted in a penalty and a red card. Each of these decisions probably cost United two points and a foul in the penalty area on Patrice Evra not given in their 3-2 defeat by Blackburn is likely to have deprived them another point.