Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

looking at the geiger counter that Rob posted the other day, current readings in Tokyo are 0.19 microsieverts, the amount of radiation that you absorb from eating a banana is (drum roll)......0.1 microsieverts omg

So right now in Tokyo people are recieving double the radiation you'd get from eating a banana.......doesn't really sound THAT bad, does it?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
looking at the geiger counter that Rob posted the other day, current readings in Tokyo are 0.19 microsieverts, the amount of radiation that you absorb from eating a banana is (drum roll)......0.1 microsieverts omg

So right now in Tokyo people are recieving double the radiation you'd get from eating a banana.......doesn't really sound THAT bad, does it?

And that 0.19 is regular background radiation that is there EVERY day, EVERY week and EVERY year.

"So right now in Tokyo people are recieving double the radiation you'd get from eating a banana.......doesn't really sound THAT bad, does it?"

Personally I always eat two bananas at a time, so for me there is no appreciable increase in risk.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
"So right now in Tokyo people are recieving double the radiation you'd get from eating a banana.......doesn't really sound THAT bad, does it?"

Personally I always eat two bananas at a time, so for me there is no appreciable increase in risk.

like putting both in your mouth at the same time? impressive, lol!
Originally Posted By: norcal
Originally Posted By: bobby12

like putting both in your mouth at the same time? impressive, lol!

That's what she did. wink
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

And that 0.19 is regular background radiation that is there EVERY day, EVERY week and EVERY year.

exactly. I have people telling me to tone down the anti-fallout fear, saying that if it goes mental then I'll look silly. Eh...no! If it does go tits up, then I'll be on the next plane out like everyone else but the figures at the moment just don't support the panic and flee mentality that is sweeping the gaij community. Its reassuring to hear similar views (and fears) of my own on here. thumbsup

"New Zealand has pulled out of a soccer friendly against Japan that was to be played on March 29 in Osaka."

In Osaka?

Big bunch of wusses.

(Footie players, hey?) <<< thought I'd get that in before anyone else did!

I've decided to go home for a couple of weeks.

Not really because I'm freaked out, I'm actually holding out pretty good, but because my family seems to be freaking out back home.

Of course, it will be good to get out for a bit as well and have a guaranteed firm ground to sit, stand and sleep on.

I've made a donation to help recovery so there's not much else I can do.

But I'll be back pretty quickly.

I'm going home on the 25th but this was planned a long time ago. I've made all my plans to get to the airport but I'm still only 50/50 on whether I'll go or not. My wife isn't coming with me and I'm worried about her being here alone. Friends and family keep asking me to stay in Canada but there is no chance that is going to happen.

I know what you mean tokabochi, my family are very concenred.

Problem is we're battling with all the nonsense they are seeing and hearing. Can't really compete with all that lot.

Quote:
German energy giant E.ON says that, as requested by the government, it has already shut down its Isar 1 power station and plans to close a second plant on Friday, Reuters report.

Where's that then, Germany? confused

Guardian suck smelly balls too

Quote:
In our 12.14pm post we reported that a Tepco official said radiation levels at Fukushima Daiichi soon after 9.30 am "were at 3,750 millisieverts per hour".

This was wrong – the radiation level was actually 3,750 microsiverts per hour – equivalent to 3.75 millisieverts per hour, sincere apologies.

Oops, ever so sorry.

Mr McCurry should be given a slap for the shite he is writing.

Originally Posted By: MummySkier
I really feel for all you guys going through this.
Luckily I have been away.
sadface
Do take care and try to think positive thoughts.

Well I'll be skiing powder on a near deserted mountain tomorrow. It's hard but I think I'll get through it razz