Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

There was an interesting thing on the earthquakes just before.

They were saying that they basically don't know. But the best opinion is that the Shizuoka one wasn't really connected to the dreaded Tokai. But, the huge Tohoku one was just so big that there may be a chance of other quakes happening here and there - like we have seen Niigata/Nagano and Shizuoka.

Heard a bit of that kind of thing.

I'm definitely going to limit the amount of stuff I listen to.

Actually have been doing just that the last few days and without any shakes I'm keeping in a good mind condition.

Originally Posted By: echineko
Some of my friends in Iwate not found yet.

sadface

sadface
So sorry to hear that Echineko.
I hope it is just bad communications.
One Melbourne man got into trouble with his Mum because he has been helping in Sendai and did not call her until yesterday. But when he called her the phone dropped out. The family heard he was alive, but he called them every day that he was in Japan - I suppose in the difficult conditions there were more important things on his mind than calling his Mum.
Hope your friends are the same.
(((HUGS)))

Sobering

It starts a few days before the main action, so you can see how many pre-shocks or whatever you call them there were.

It kicks off around 1:15

"A French friend of mine just emailed me that flights home are in the neighbourhood of 5000$. Greedy bastards."

When you read it on the news, it sounds like France is offering free flights home for it's countrymen. In reality they are just saying 'you should come home' and they are sending over two extra planes but you still have to pay for it. This just seems stupid and irresponsible (because it induces panic) of the French gov. to me. Grow a stiff upper lip!

Quote:
The bankers are fleeing Tokyo.

BNP Paribas, Standard Chartered and Morgan Stanley were among the banks whose staff have left since Friday’s earthquake and tsunami, scrambling for commercial and charter flights out of the region.

Hip hip, hurray!! clap

Glad to see so many of us residents are staying put, but I can't pretend that I haven't been worrying about this. Looking at the readings and putting them in perspective, they always reassure me, but with family back home clamouring for evac and friends running out its very hard to stand by the official notices. Is there anyone who thinks the official government notices are underwhelming the situation up in Fukushima? Any Brits here keeping edge on what the FCO are saying (and any other foreign nationals to their FCO) going to defy them IF they were to give out an official evac notice?

About your concerns regarding the situation in Fukushima, from what I understand it would be next to impossible for the GOJ to be anything but honest about what is happening. Agencies around the world are able to monitor the level of radiation and so far the Japanese authorities have been providing pretty comprehensive information to the appropriate international monitoring agencies. I think it would be pretty hard for them to fudge it with so many other agencies and governments involved.

The Canadian FOC released statements quite similar to those that came out of the British FOC.

I don't know if anyone has linked this, but it's a really well done program. He did the same thing for Christchurch after our biggie.

http://www.japanquakemap.com/

I haven't been watching much tv, I'm so sad for you guys, it is such a terrible thing, but I can't - it's just too close to home for me, I'm having too many nightmares and I'm terrified now because the Chch fault is evidently releasing pressure out to sea now, it's nearly full moon which is usually worst for aftershocks, and my home is only 5m above sea level.

I did see some pictures from the Nagano 6.2 aftershock taken at Nozawa :( Gondolas everywhere like skittles.