Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

This is what BBC has now as a HUGE headline

BREAKING NEWS Meltdown alert at Japan reactor

_48333888_bn-448x252.gif

So why does the NHK news sound actually relatively positive about where it is going right now.

The Sun is the best though

SECOND NUKE BLAST!!

THREAT OF SECOND EARTHQUAKE "IN DAYS"

FEARS FOR 3 NUKE SITES

VOLCANO ERUPTS

DROWNED TOWN "IS JUST LIKE HIROSHIMA".

So, to sum it up, playing it down a little.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Sorry pie eater. Don't mean to piss on your parade.

Damn
I thought I had solved it again.
doh

Oh well, I'll continue to theorise and come up with likely solutions.

Gambarimasu!

5b15176e.jpg

Has anyone just seen that new footage that someone took of the tsunami eating up a town called Minamisanriku.

å—三陸

Absolutely shocking just shown on tv now.

If anyone can find that clip please do post. It's mindblowing.

"Has anyone just seen that new footage that someone took of the tsunami eating up a town called Minamisanriku."

yep they showing it over and over on nhk now. it irritates me seeing that group of 8 people or so in the bottom left hanging around and not escaping the oncoming water. in the end about half of them get washed away.

This is very sobering.

The Minamisanriku-cho tourism website:

http://www.m-kankou.jp/topics/index.php?id=191

The last post that says "The town has not been affected by the earthquake with no damage. It's all safe, please come and visit"

That was just after the earthquake in the region on the 9th last week.

Now the town is totally wiped out.

sadface

The new footage that LiquidX refers to is even more dramatic than that.

Can't find it yet.

Mitchpee - where did you get the info about donating? Just trying to get the wife to look it up for more info. Some people were also trying to say not to send clothes...but that doesn't sound right, lol.

thanks!

uniclo sent up a ton of heattec stuff according to their website. so i guess clothes must be needed, but perhaps not in dribs and drabs.

there doesnt seem to be anything on japanese tv about 'how you can help'. maybe the publics help is not needed yet.

Originally Posted By: norcal
Mitchpee - where did you get the info about donating? Just trying to get the wife to look it up for more info. Some people were also trying to say not to send clothes...but that doesn't sound right, lol.

thanks!

This was relayed to me by a few reliable Japanese friends and it seems to be legitimate.

In response to all the negativity in the media I made a post to share with my American and European friends.

Inside Japan: A Message to the Western World It seems as though the western world yet again is in a media frenzy to keep ratings up. The Japanese local news differs greatly from what is being shown in the US, Europe, etc. To me it seems as though the Japanese media is using terms like help, recovery, action and CNN is using words like destruction, terror, mass death. Perhaps it is just the different perspective that I have been so used to seeing, but it looks like the Japanese media is trying to spread helpful tips instead of dramatic daily conversation fillers.

There seems to be a general calm here given the circumstances that have hit this country. Granted I am very far from the real affected area, however, the Japanese people seemed determined to rebuild quickly. They are not looking to point fingers at which orginization failed and where. They do not care if FEMA didnt follow exact protocol. They are simply rolling their sleeves up and doing what they can to recover. I think very few cultures throughout the world have that type of audacity in a time of disaster. Instead of worrying about comparitive casualties and where this earthquake stands statistically in history they are developing plans.

So please do not start your day with all of the negative banter that already contaminates the modern news. Instead look for a way to help out or at least to ignore the negativity that seems to fuel media consumption. A little positivty towards the situation here would make all the difference, especially from the international community.
Originally Posted By: sanjo
This is very sobering.

The Minamisanriku-cho tourism website:

http://www.m-kankou.jp/topics/index.php?id=191

The last post that says "The town has not been affected by the earthquake with no damage. It's all safe, please come and visit"

That was just after the earthquake in the region on the 9th last week.

Now the town is totally wiped out.

sadface

The new footage that LiquidX refers to is even more dramatic than that.
Can't find it yet.

I'd reallly like to get a clip of that new video coming out of that town. It really is startling.

WTF. This on BBC now:

Quote:
Concerns about a possible radiation leak from the Fukushima plant have sparked a run on iodine tablets in Finland, AFP reports. The country's nuclear safety chiefs say there is no need for people there to be buying iodine
Originally Posted By: kokodoko
Its all god's fault, according to this lovely person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UmotTE-VlY

I'd say about 1/4 of Americans are dumb shits, and they always find a way to get out to the public, ruining the American name. Most people can't stand that 1/4, but there seems to be nothing we can do about it :(

On another note, anyone feel that 4.1 in Tokyo this morning?