Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

11.42 GMT “The current situation of the earthquake, tsunami and the nuclear plants is in a way the most severe crisis in the past 65 years since World War II. Whether we Japanese can overcome this crisis depends on each of us. I strongly believe that we can get over this great earthquake and tsunami by joining together.†These are the words of Naoto Kan, addressing the nation.

He has also called for understanding over the need for scheduled power cuts in the wake of the Fukushima crisis. The electricity supply situation in the worst-affected areas was “extremely severe†and unscheduled blackout could cause enormous damage, he said.

God is with us:

Praying for the victims of Japan's earthquake and tsunami, Pope Benedict XVI is and has praised the "dignity and courage" with which the Japanese are coping with the tragedy

Originally Posted By: SJ-David
It looks like the Tashiro area of Kagura and the Dragondola gondola will not be operating this coming week. Closed until at least Friday.

Nighta at Naeba and the Asagai area over there will also be closed until at least 18th March. All events for the season at Naeba have also been closed.

These changes are presumable in an effort to save electricity due to the current problems in Japan.

I wonder what it was like on that Dragondola when the quake went off...that thing is loooooooong! Would have been a scary experience I'm sure.

not that i am religious one way or another, but there is something about comments like that from religious leaders that irritates me. words are cheap.

on saturday AM a jahovers witness came by and i almost gave her a slap, she did a runner sharpish when she saw the look on my face. it just seemed in such extreme bad taste to be knocking on peoples doors at that time with their pathetic gibberish

Quote:
Nuclear meltdown is a chilling phrase which conjures up images of mushroom clouds and radioactive contamination on a huge scale. But while it is indeed among the worst things that can happen to a nuclear power plant, the actual risks to the general public are quite slight.

Meltdown describes a phenomenon that occurs when the reactor’s core, holding the fuel rods that drive nuclear fission, overheats. This can cause fuel rods to melt and fall into the bottom of the reactor, which makes them still harder to cool.

This has serious consequences for the reactor, which is likely to be damaged beyond repair, but it does not mean there is bound to be a significant release of radiation to the environment.

“For that to happen, the containment vessel around the reactor vessel would have to be breached,†said Robin Grimes, director of the Centre for Nuclear Engineering at Imperial College, London. “That has never happened.â€

There is also no risk of a nuclear explosion, which the design of nuclear reactors makes impossible. Saturday’s blast at Fukushima Daiichi 1 appears to have been the result of exploding hydrogen gas, released during attempts to reduce pressure in the reactor.

In theory, the molten core could burn through the floor of the reactor, but Professor Grimes said this is highly unlikely. “That is the China Syndrome phenomenon, but it is pretty much science fiction. In any case, we’re well past the stage now when that could happen.â€

He said that as time goes on the risks will reduce, because the residual heat within the core will die away as radioactive decay declines.

A partial core meltdown occurred at the Three Mile Island nuclear plant in Pennsylvania in 1979, when a broken valve stopped the flow of water coolant into the reactor. Though it was a more severe incident than Fukushima — it was rated at 5 on a scale of 1 to 7, compared with 4 for the continuing situation in Japan — the containment vessel held and little radiation was released.

The 1986 Chernobyl disaster — which rated a maximum 7 on the accident scale — was also completely different from the events at Fukushima. A botched safety test conducted while the reactor was operating caused a surge of power output, followed by a series of explosions and a fire. As the reactor lacked a solid containment vessel — its design would not have been permitted outside the Soviet Union — a plume of radioactive debris was thrown into the atmosphere.

The Fukushima incident is completely different both because of the reactors’ design, which is much more robust, and the fact that both stricken reactors had already been shut down before the cooling problems emerged.

Three of Fukushima Daiichi’s six reactors were operating when the earthquake struck, all of which were automatically shut down by inserting control rods to stop nuclear fission. This happened successfully, but the reactor core remains hot and in need of cooling because of residual radioactive decay in the fuel rods.

Water was pumped in to cool the reactor cores, but the earthquake cut off mains power to the pumps, and back-up diesel generators failed an hour later, reportedly after being flooded by the tsunami. This forced the pumps to rely on battery power, which has progressively failed in Fukushima 1 and Fukushima 3.

As the uncooled reactor cores heated up, water coolant in the system turned to steam, exposing fuel rods and allowing them to heat up further and release some radioactive material such as caesium-137. The steam also increased pressure within the containment vessel around the reactor.

The plant’s operators took a deliberate decision to vent some of this steam to reduce pressure and protect the containment vessel. This led to the release of some radioactivity, which has been detected around the plant. The vented gas also contained hydrogen, produced by a chemical reaction at high temperatures between water and the zirconium casing of the fuel rods.

This hydrogen, once released into the building around the containment vessel or turbine hall (there remains confusion as to which) ignited to cause an explosion at Fukushima 1. This did not damage the containment vessel.

The Fukushima 1 reactor is 40 years old and was due to be decommissioned shortly, and its operators have effectively written it off by flooding it with seawater to cool it down, and boric acid to accelerate radioactive decay. Both will make the reactor unusable in future.

The Fukushima 3 reactor is younger, but it has been reported that seawater injections are happening there as well.

Wonder if something like this is true?

Anyone know anyone doing this?

12.52 GMT “An onslaught of relentlessly unsettling television news, fast-emptying supermarket shelves, fuel rationing at petrol stations and a maelstrom of blood-curdling internet rumours has prompted scores of British, American and European families to leave Tokyo,†reports The Times’s Leo Lewis, in the Japanese capital.

^ Wouldn't surprise me. Frankly don't blame some of them. After such a catastrophic even I'd say many people, uncluding many Japanese, wished they were somewhere else!

Originally Posted By: griller

12.52 GMT “An onslaught of relentlessly unsettling television news, fast-emptying supermarket shelves, fuel rationing at petrol stations and a maelstrom of blood-curdling internet rumours has prompted scores of British, American and European families to leave Tokyo,†reports The Times’s Leo Lewis, in the Japanese capital.

A friend of mine is taking his family back to Canada tomorrow for these very fears. He was downtown Tokyo dodging glass and other falling debris during the quake and was pretty freaked so ya...who would I be to say he was overreacting.

Info about trains (Japanese only)

電車é‹è¡Œæ¸›ã€ã‚³ãƒ³ãƒ“ニ24時間断念…輪番åœé›»ã€ç”Ÿæ´»ç›´æ’ƒ

2011.3.13 22:06 (1/2ページ)

クリックã—ã¦æ‹¡å¤§ã™ã‚‹

æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ã®è¨ˆç”»åœé›»å®Ÿæ–½ã«ã¤ã„ã¦è¨˜è€…会見ã™ã‚‹æµ·æ±Ÿç”°çµŒç”£ç›¸ï¼ï¼‘3日夜ã€é¦–相官邸

14日ã‹ã‚‰æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ç®¡å†…ã§åœ°åŸŸã”ã¨ã®äº¤ä»£ã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ã€Œè¼ªç•ªåœé›»ã€ãŒå®Ÿæ–½ã•ã‚Œã‚‹ã€‚自治体や公共機関ã€ä¼æ¥­ãªã©ã¯ 対応準備を急ã„ã§ã„ã‚‹ãŒã€ç”Ÿæ´»ã«å¤§ããªå½±éŸ¿ãŒåŠã¶ã®ã¯é¿ã‘られãªã„。想定ã•ã‚Œã‚‹å½±éŸ¿ã‚’ã¾ã¨ã‚㟠。

病院

æ±äº¬éƒ½ç¦ç¥‰ä¿å¥å±€ã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ã¨ã€éƒ½å†…ã®éƒ½ç«‹ç—…院や大学病院ãªã©å¤§è¦æ¨¡ãªç—…院ã§ã¯å¤§åŠãŒè‡ªå®¶ç™ºé›»è£…置を備ãˆã¦ãŠ ã‚Šã€é…¸ç´ å¸å…¥å™¨ãªã©ã®åŒ»ç™‚機器ã®ç¨¼åƒã¯ç¶­æŒã§ãる。ãŸã ã€è©³ç´°ç™ºè¡¨ãŒï¼‘3日夜ã¨é…ããªã£ãŸã“ã¨ã§ã€åŒ»ç™‚ç¾å ´ ã§ã¯ã€Œè©³ç´°ãªæƒ…å ±ãŒå…¥ã£ã¦ã“ãªã„ã€ï¼ˆéƒ½å†…ã®ç—…院)ã¨ã®ä¸æº€ãŒå‡ºã¦ãŠã‚Šã€æº–å‚™ã®é…れも懸念ã•ã‚Œã‚‹ã€‚ç´°å·å¾‹å¤«åŽš 生労åƒç›¸ã¯åŒæ—¥åˆå‰ã€ã€Œè‡ªå®¶ç™ºé›»ç”¨ã®ç‡ƒæ–™ç¢ºä¿ã‚„(他ã®ç—…院ã¸ã®ï¼‰æ‚£è€…æ¬é€ã«è¨ˆç”»çš„ã«å–り組む必è¦ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã€ã¨ è¿°ã¹ã€ä¸‡å…¨ã®å¯¾ç­–ã‚’è¦è«‹ã—ãŸã€‚

鉄é“

JRæ±æ—¥æœ¬ã¯ä½¿ç”¨é›»åŠ›ã®ï¼•ï¼–%を自社発電ã§ã¾ã‹ãªã„ã€ï¼”4%をæ±äº¬ã€æ±åŒ—ã€ä¸­éƒ¨é›»åŠ›ã‹ã‚‰è³¼å…¥ã—ã¦ã„ã‚‹ãŒã€ 輪番ã«ã‚ˆã‚‹çŸ­æ™‚é–“ã®åœé›»ãªã‚‰é‹è¡Œã«å¤§ããªæ”¯éšœã¯å‡ºãªã„ã¨ã¿ã‚‰ã‚Œã‚‹ãŒã€å¯¾å¿œã¯æ±ºã¾ã£ã¦ãŠã‚‰ãšã€é‹è¡Œæœ¬æ•°ã®å‰Šæ¸› ãŒå¿…è¦ã«ãªã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ãŒã‚る。

一方ã€æ±äº¬ãƒ¡ãƒˆãƒ­ã‚„京浜急行電鉄ãªã©ç§é‰„ã¯ã€ã»ã¼å…¨é‡ã‚’æ±é›»ã«ä¾å­˜ã—ã¦ã„る。「åœé›»åœ°åŸŸã«ã‚る変電所ã¸ã® 供給ãŒåœæ­¢ã—ã¦ã‚‚ã€ä»–ã®å¤‰é›»æ‰€ã‹ã‚‰èžé€šã™ã‚Œã°é‹è¡Œã¯ç¶™ç¶šã§ãã‚‹ã€ï¼ˆé–¢ä¿‚者)ã¨ã„ã†ã€‚ãŸã ã€å¤‰é›»æ‰€ãŒåœé›»åœ°åŸŸ ã«ã‚ã‚‹ã¨é‹è¡Œã‚’åœæ­¢ã›ã–ã‚‹ã‚’å¾—ãªããªã‚‹ã€‚

any chance anyone can give me the lowdown on the JR trains?

actually its ok, from what I re-translated frome Google it seems that JR can use power from a few different providers but stoppages are likely to occur, but Tokyo metro is only supplied from Tepco and will be out

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Originally Posted By: griller

A friend of mine is taking his family back to Canada tomorrow for these very fears. He was downtown Tokyo dodging glass and other falling debris during the quake and was pretty freaked so ya...who would I be to say he was overreacting.

Does this guy work?
(Going for good?)
Is it so easy to do that?
I suppose I have stronger and longer links to this place and that is something that would be a very extreme decision.

I've decided to cut back on the consumtion of overseas media as well as stuff like Twitter/Facebook, not that I really use them anyway.

It's getting a bit hysterical and over the top.

Yes, it's scary situation and I certainly feel uneasy.

No, don't want to be more scared with rumours and stuff that just is absolutely not true.

It will help me cope.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
After such a catastrophic even I'd say many people, uncluding many Japanese, wished they were somewhere else!

Well yes of course. Who wouldn't right now?
I sure would feel more at ease 'somewhere else' right at this moment.
But I live my life here, my home is here, I work here.
It will take more than this for me to push some instant panic button.

What do you do - just pack a bag, grab a sandwich and go?
It sounds like it's part of the same movie that some of the scenes playing out in real life now are from.