If only one gaijan is in the Skijo (visiting a gaijan free place) is it gaigan free?

If he/she falls does anybody hear him?

Is stinky gaigan, as he is Chinese?

Is PWL a girl?

I MUST know all this, NOW!.

Then I too, hope to be misquoted as right now Im feeln pretty left out :( :( :(

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'started it'?! lol

I suppose the I'm just not allowed to say that I'm disappointed.

How sad that is.

Oh well, I'm off to Shiga Kogen next and really looking forward to it.

hehe, dude you can say whatever you like, i aint judging anyone in this thread because the internet is always nonsense smile

Im ambivalent anyway. I hate gaijin in my japan! I also like the fact you can find very cheap non japanese style/price accommodation at resorts where the gaijins swarm.

(im single minded at the moment).

I also like that people are really stoked by their trip to my japan (even though i dont live there anymore and have no right - not that i ever did - of calling it my japan).

I kinda love it all. Its just diaspora anyway. People go to unfamiliar places where the networks are easiest to navigate and then move from there.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
PWL.
Dare to be disapponted or critisize Hakuba?
Not allowed you silly you!
slap

Unfortunately, a fair few of the tossers in Hakuba actually live here.
It's not just visitors.

Who? Name & shame.... or ...

Must admit though I have to laugh at Aussies who come to Niseko during the Australian school holiday period and complain about all the Aussies there!

What did you expect you bloody numbnuts?? lol

Originally Posted By: PWL
Good day today at 47/Goryu.
I took some snaps so I will upload sometime in the next few days.

But.... is this actually Japan?!

Wouldn't think it with pretty much everyone walking around being a foreigner. Not so much on the slopes, but the place I was at this evening for a meal there wasn't a Japanese person there, just hordes of foreign males!

Must say, disappointed in that aspect.

Hello there

If its non-Japanese on the slopes and you're here to ski then you've got no choice. You can't avoid them.
For restaurant or bar though, choose a different one. There are plenty. One important thing to note though is that if the bar etc. you went to was not full of non-japanese, it would probably be full of nobody. Onsens aside, Japanese people pretty much don't do apres ski any more. It means gaijin sans are far more visible at night time because they are the only ones out spending money.

The number of overseas visitors to Hakuba is (much) closer to 5% than 10% or closer to one in twenty than one in ten. Remember that the next time people come out with "gaijintown" and whatever little snide comments tickle their fancy. This is not a half-full/half-empty situation. The glass is 95% full.

You can dish it up however you want.

OK OK. Here is what I experienced and saw, with my very own eyes (and this is just in response to your % theme)

- bars that were literally 100% non-Japanese, probably 75% of them male;

- people walking round Echoland / Wadanomori, I would say easily 80%+ non-Japanese.

And I did find a few places that were not overrun by non-Japanese, the accommodation owner told me about them so I don't see that "would probably be full of nobody" either. They were fun and lively, not empty.

Quote:
Remember that the next time people come out with "gaijintown" and whatever little snide comments tickle their fancy.

Funny. So we're playing it down now. 'Snide comments'. Owhhaah, you poor dear!

PWL, you're fighting a losing battle. Too many people with too much at stake. Say anything that's 'off-message' and you'll get hunted down. Sad reality of where this town is at these days.

No doubt another carefully crafted response will be coming soon......

BSiH, out of interest what do you do in Hakuba? You are often the levelling comment of rhetoric (if you know what I mean) so I don't think you are a Pension/lodge owner.

PWL obviously had an idea in mind about what she was going to experience in her 1st trip to Japan, an the reality hasn't met those ideas. Hakuba is one of Japan's premier ski areas and gets the 2nd most international recognition. With that comes the foreign tourist. She appears to want to experience a bit more Japanese life as opposed to "similar as home but in Japan" that she has got in Hakuba. Shiga Kogen is her next stop, here you will def get the Japanese after ski feel because there is almost nothing to do after the lifts stop. The few people hunting around at night to find a bar/restaurant are likely to be Gaij because thats what Giaj want. Japanese people tend to have their meal after their onsen then retire to their room with a few cans of beer. This is Japanese ski culture in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Must admit though I have to laugh at Aussies who come to Niseko during the Australian school holiday period and complain about all the Aussies there!

What did you expect you bloody numbnuts?? lol

doh lol
Originally Posted By: PWL
You can dish it up however you want.

OK OK. Here is what I experienced and say, with my very own eyes (and this is just in response to your % theme)

- bars that were literally 100% non-Japanese, probably 75% of them male;
- people walking round Echoland / Wadanomori, I would say easily 80%+ non-Japanese.

And I did find a few places that were not overrun by non-Japanese, the accommodation owner told me about them so I don't see that "would probably be full of nobody" either. They were fun and lively, not empty.

You're staying in Echoland?
I've never been to Hakuba but I do know that that is one of the main areas foreigners in Hakuba stay. If that's not what you wanted you really should have done your homework a bit more. I'm sure there must be some parts of the valley that have hardly any foreigners staying there at all.

You sound like so many people who've come here before you. You come to Japan with unrealistic expectations or go to an area where those expectations won't be met and then complain about it. You've got no one but yourself to blame though through your lack of research. You've probably stayed at a place because it has english speaking staff or an english website and then seem suprised that there are other english speaking people doing the same thing!!

You didn't want to be in an area with many foreigners and yet you ended up in Echoland in Hakuba! You idiot... lol

Ah, so I'm an idiot now?!

That's nice.

If you look at my original post, I was hardly having a great big moan about things. I simply said I was having fun but I was a bit disappointed in that aspect. That is all! It has now become this huge argument between people who seem very highly strung up about it all.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
You're staying in Echoland?

No, I wasn't staying in Echoland.

Quote:
You didn't want to be in an area with many foreigners and yet you ended up in Echoland in Hakuba! You idiot... lol

I didn't end up in Echoland.

But as it is one of the few 'central places' in Hakuba, as you do you inevitable go round and have a look.

Even so, a place having lots of foreigners hanging about and a place being close to 100% foreigners are two different things.

Anyway I am near to Shiga Kogen, so I'm done for now.

I work outside of Hakuba, Tubby Beaver, but live in the area and no, thankfully I nothing to do with any of the 'Hakuba Machine'. lol

Don't want to get too specific though, might get hunted down for not conforming! wink

Dislike the bullshit and dickheads that all increasingly involves. Happily, lots of visitors won't notice that.

Sounds like you were an absolute idiot PWL!!! How could you be so foolish with all the clear facts in front of you? Damn!!!

Having said that, it seems that at times they play it up. And at times they play it down. Just conveniently depending on how it the message that needs to be got across. So perhaps you aren't the idiot after all.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
The number of overseas visitors to Hakuba is (much) closer to 5% than 10% or closer to one in twenty than one in ten. Remember that the next time people come out with "gaijintown" and whatever little snide comments tickle their fancy. This is not a half-full/half-empty situation. The glass is 95% full.

I'm just sick of people who come to Japan expecting to submerse themselves in Japanese culture at major international ski resorts. These are ski resorts not some bastions of an ancient culture! Anywhere else in the world you would travel and expect to get a real cultural experience at a ski resort?

Anyway as TB mentioned at Shiga you're bound to find that the apres ski culture at a Japanese resort with few foreign influences is well almost non existent!