OK so I arrived in Hakuba yesterday, this seems to have been 'planning' for years! But so glad to get here at last. I can't see much because it is snowing but hoping to have some great days here before I make my way down to the Kyoto area early next week.

Do I win a prize for the "longest planning"?

wave

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day today at 47/Goryu.

I took some snaps so I will upload sometime in the next few days.

But.... is this actually Japan?!

Wouldn't think it with pretty much everyone walking around being a foreigner. Not so much on the slopes, but the place I was at this evening for a meal there wasn't a Japanese person there, just hordes of foreign males!

Must say, disappointed in that aspect.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
If you want a good feed tomorrow night the BBQ at the Whitehorse in Echoland is always a good feed but it will be a lot of westerners.

Cheers, I now know where not to go tomorrow night!
thumbsup
Originally Posted By: PWL
Good day today at 47/Goryu.
I took some snaps so I will upload sometime in the next few days.

But.... is this actually Japan?!

Wouldn't think it with pretty much everyone walking around being a foreigner. Not so much on the slopes, but the place I was at this evening for a meal there wasn't a Japanese person there, just hordes of foreign males!

Must say, disappointed in that aspect.

There are more people beginning to say that.
If you are staying in a Japanese-run place just ask the dudes running and they'll probably give you some local lowdown rather than shufting you off to the gaijin places.

I would feel the same if I were you to be honest.
I don't like Hakuba half as much as I used to these days and it will just get more that way.
I much prefer other places now.

I too will be in Hakuba this weekend, I am driving up tomorrow for two days skiing then off to some other resorts from sunday, not decided where yet though.

This will be my first time skiing in Hakuba, so really looking forward to it.

We will be skiing Goryi and 47, I will take pics and put a report up next week!

I would imagine so. Anytime I've been up to Yuzawa its mostly Japanese, there are a few Gaij around but generally its locals. Although the few times I've been up this year I've noticed that Gaij are on the rise

Hakuba must be #2 after Niseko as the place to go for foreigners so expect to see them. Having said that compared to Niseko, Hakuba is a long way from being over run like it is here. What they both share in common though are a LOT of resorts within an easy drive where I imagine hardly any westerners go.

Having said that in some ways I like bumping into other Aussies etc. Yesterday I met two older guys who have been coming here for 6 years and it was great as I rode with them all day and saw a LOT of the mountain here.

Japan is unique in many ways but I think the vast majority of people come here not just for the snow, but also the culture. That's the challenge. You sure dont go to Canada/NZ etc hoping for the same. smile

Interesting isn't it.

That's why I like going to places like Zao.

Still feels very Japan, even with the increase in foreigners.

Not too sure I'm keen on places like Hakuba myself (as a whole), apart from those stunning mountains as the backdrop.

Perhaps living in Japan has a lot to do with that.

Well yes, in fact it is imperative because the point that people are making is that they don't want to see Gaijin. They want to be surrounded by Japanese and Japanese culture, at a ski resort. Those criteria can only be met by a domestic tourist destination. Quite apparent really.

EDIT: If you mean does it matter that they are going under... well I guess that depends on if you want good facilitates, service and holiday experience that more than a camping trip to the snow wink

I'm not following you Tex.

There's not many places in the whole of Japan where there is a big % of foreigners. Niseko and Hakuba with one or two other places following on, but not on the same scale.

There's hundreds of skijo. Hundreds. And a lot of them are fairly decent size, let's say easily well over 100 dotted around. Ones that aren't about to close down in the next few weeks.

It is easy to get away from the "is this really Japan?!" kind of vibe that Hakuba and from what I believe Niseko have. Very very very easy.

Not doing it, if indeed that is what you want to do, is simply out of being lazy.

Lots of people who come to Japan once or twice and visit "the big ones" seem to get this impression that they know it all* now and that is pretty much it. That is a big mistake.

(* not implying that about you Tex)