• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Japan ski industry needs Niseko and Hakuba and for about I guess for about 95% visiting, eating tempura is enough ( smile )of an experience, but it also acts as a gateway and some folks want to see even more. As an example for the 1st time this year Im heading a little further afield after a few days in Hakuba. Its funny but I was having this convo last night with a mate here in Niseko and our idea is small tour groups into the smaller places including shrines, OG restaurants etc etc. Sounds like there is a real market for it.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Where are you going, pete?
Do I recall you winning a Myoko ticket?

Yeah got a couple stashed away. Thanks SJF. I want to spend a few days chilling there. My Japanese language skills suck but I manage in BF China so Im sure it will all work out. Any suggestions mate on places to visit it whilst Im there? Next season I'd love to have a car, 3 months and just go see so much more.

I couldn't speak any Japanese when I came here but I came to live and it was a lot of fun managing and all the adventures. As you know with your China deal I suppose.

Will look forward to hear how you like Myoko.

Yeah tours are a great idea.

The snow monkey temple tour from Hakuba cost around $200AU and when the buses pulled up at Monkeyville they were nearly full.

There are alot of people who want to experience more than just the snow if only for 1 rest day.

Seemore

Lots of people who come to Japan once or twice and visit "the big ones" seem to get this impression that they know it all* now and that is pretty much it. That is a big mistake.

(* not implying that about you Tex)

That's fine, imply it if you want anyway, I have thicker skin that that wink IMO it is a superficial point about a greater scheme...

It is interesting to me whatever position you take on it. The thing is that some people do seem very egocentric about these things.

Japan is not the only place in the world to have ski resorts that cater to both domestic and international tourists of varying degrees - but they could be considered amongst those, 'niche' markets. I have been to only two places in Japan but to *to know it all* IMHO is not to know Japan, or it's ski culture and resorts anyway, rather the greater concept of its place amongst the the 'whole' industry...worldwide.

Yes, I know little about Japan or its resorts, but I have been to over 20 different resorts all over the world to make comparisons to those I have been to (only two of those in Australia). I have very close friends who have lived in Japan for many years who also gave me some insight

My point is that I believe the Japanese 'domestic' market is diminishing and many resorts are and will require increased international trade to maintain or develop, this is not my thesis.

If you want a pure Japanese resort experience sans Giajin (I assume that includes all Gaijin not just westerners) that will be hard, and harder to find in the future. I am sure they are there, but as we know, increasingly it is really the snow experience that seems to be attracting the tourists more than the cultural ones... if I were to be proposing a business model it would not be based on pure cultural or a lack of foreigners, that just doesn't seem to be selling as well as the pure snow experience.

I'm not in the least bit interested in business models or how resorts make money, or not, out of foreigners. Doesn't bother me.

And I don't think anyone here was mentioning they wanted a ski resort "without any foreigners". Where was that btw?

The point was it just might be fun to have a place that is not overrun with them. That's all. Nothing to lose sleep over.

friend

'The point' was that if you want to go and visit a resort that still feels totally Japanese and not be bumping into more gaijin than Japanese, then it's very easy to find. I do it all the time - not on purpose, it's just that is the case with most skijo here.

And I don't think anyone here was mentioning they wanted a ski resort "without any foreigners". Where was that btw?

Originally Posted By: PWL
Good day today at 47/Goryu.
I took some snaps so I will upload sometime in the next few days.

But.... is this actually Japan?!

Wouldn't think it with pretty much everyone walking around being a foreigner. Not so much on the slopes, but the place I was at this evening for a meal there wasn't a Japanese person there, just hordes of foreign males!

Must say, disappointed in that aspect.
Originally Posted By: SKI
Originally Posted By: PWL
Good day today at 47/Goryu.
I took some snaps so I will upload sometime in the next few days.

But.... is this actually Japan?!

Wouldn't think it with pretty much everyone walking around being a foreigner. Not so much on the slopes, but the place I was at this evening for a meal there wasn't a Japanese person there, just hordes of foreign males!

Must say, disappointed in that aspect.

There are more people beginning to say that.
If you are staying in a Japanese-run place just ask the dudes running and they'll probably give you some local lowdown rather than shufting you off to the gaijin places.

I would feel the same if I were you to be honest.
I don't like Hakuba half as much as I used to these days and it will just get more that way.
I much prefer other places now.
Originally Posted By: seemore
I know what you mean Muika.

My next trip will be somewhere away from foreigners I just need to learn the lingo so I can talk to people if need be.

Seemore

You asked a question...

I answered. Why so obtuse smile

I don't think so at all, not one bit. The implication doesn't seem to be that at all.

Some people would just prefer to come to Japan to a place that wasn't just like a replica of home, a place that gave off the vibe of 'being in Japan'. A place not almost exclusively foreigners. That's all. I totally understand that.

Originally Posted By: Tex
I think that is what they were saying wakaranai perhaps not verbatim but that is the implication.

Ridiculous.
No-one said that and no-one implied it.
They just want to find a place that isn't gaijintown.

Ridiculous? wakaranai

Look, people can do what ever they want more strength to them, but lets just own up to it for crying out loud. It is fine if people want that, I don't judge them for it, it is not bad, nor is it right or wrong, just a preference... but the implication is most certainly there. Why the ambivalence... You guys still think the world is flat too? lol

Originally Posted By: seemore

My next trip will be somewhere away from foreigners I just need to learn the lingo so I can talk to people if need be.

Seemore

Good on ya Seemore, go fot it, hope you have a great time (sure you will) clap smile

Originally Posted By: SKI
Originally Posted By: Tex
I think that is what they were saying wakaranai perhaps not verbatim but that is the implication.

Ridiculous.
No-one said that and no-one implied it.
They just want to find a place that isn't gaijintown.

lol splitting hairs Ski.

Tex quoted me too, and I wasn't implying that at all either!

lol

I have had a lot of fun in Hakuba, but going to a bar that is 100% gaijin, I could be anywhere in the world. It wasn't what I was expecting and like I said quite disappointing really. The Japanese owner of the place told me about a few places and I enjoyed visiting them and felt more like I was in Japan. There were still foreigners there, but some Japanese too haha. Phew!

It will be interesting to see how Shiga Kogen compares.

wave

Seems like you misjudged PWL as well. lol

So a recap:

You quoted 4 people - muikabochi, me, PWL and seemore as evidence of them wanting totally gaijin-free resorts.

Out of those, it seems that 3 of them have come back to say you were wrong and they weren't implying that at all.

Just seemore left, and from the way I read what he posted, he was just saying more of the same.

Epic fail!