Went past Gala this morning and took a few snaps of the work they seem to be busy doing over there. There's a fair bit of activity of late and lots of diggers up on the slope. Looks like there are properly preparing that "downhill course" - whether it will be open for anyone or just in emergencies when the wind is strong, I don't know. Will be interesting to see how it works though there's not much space at the bottom there and it's fairly steep.

muikabochi_2511.JPG

muikabochi_2512.JPG

With that and the South Area opening for the first time in 5 years or so, perhaps it will be a Gala season for Gala.

No I don't think so. I believe it will be from the North side of the resort. Go into the north side and take the short pair lift up to this point:

muikabochi_2007.JPG

muikabochi_895.jpg

That will be the start. I think.

On the second photo above on the right hand side you can just about see the top gondola station/restaurant that acts as the base of Gala.

• SnowJapan Admin
Quote:
whether it will be open for anyone or just in emergencies when the wind is strong, I don't know

I just spoke to someone at Gala - it seems that they plan for the course to be open for anyone to use anytime as long as there's enough snow, so not just when the gondola is stopped. With that and them opening up the south area, they are very busy right now lots of activity over there.

Great to hear that, I'm looking forward to going next season. South area is good and that downhill course will probably be quite interesting. Wonder how narrow it will be and how they sort out the bottom bit.

Best part of Gala.

Only one lift and they could do with a short lift to take people back up to the very top but there are a few ways down the hill - it's not that long but fairly steep and usually when I have been there lots of untouched powder. Nice.

• 4 months later...

Good to see the South Area is still planning to be open again, it will be good to get back there... lots of deep untouched powder a few times I have been. Go on a weekday after a dump is my top tip.