Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
That is just good natured ribbing though. Funny. We can all have a good laugh.

The Seppo thing is wrong though. I'm sorry I even brought it up.
Yeah, in todays politically correct environment it is wrong, but like I said, the term 'Seppo' goes back to a totally different period in history.

Realistically, the only Aussies who should be using it are those from that era. Anyone younger still using it is INDEED an ignorant 'wanker', and should be ignored.
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nowadays, generally speaking, seppo, if used, isn't meant by the user to be derogatory. It's as cockney as 'hitting the frog and toad (road)'. And Aussies being lazy will shorten it instead of saying the whole phrase.

Of course you will have some yobs for who it will be derogatory.

At the same time, if I was Amercian I'd probably take offense too. I dont' use the term myself. Just wanted to say that it's not always intended to offend.

And Aussie humor is always soooo funny aye. Sheep jokes anyone :rolleyes: ...get back to comedy class fullas :p ! I'm sure all the kiwis on here will concur with that. Always gives me a laugh though cause it's so lame. Nothing to take offense about though, cause it's 'almost' never malicious.

Taking the piss is a natural part of Aussie culture and it's the same in NZ. Often it's taken out of context by Nth Americans, however occassionally it is malicious. You could split up Aussie/Kiwi piss taking into three catagories as follows:

a) guys being successfully funny in a good natured way

B) guys trying hard to be funny but not quite getting it right, in a good natured way

c) ****kers just intent on putting others down in a malicious way

Yamakashi is a smart enough guy to work out the nuance, so no wonder he hates the term 'seppo' He's prolly heard it from a type © jerkoff up in Nisekko.

That's funny you brought up sheep jokes. In the pubs in NZ, if someone found out I was an ozzie they would start telling me the same sheep jokes they tell in oz but with the countries reversed. ie. Why do Australians wear velco gloves? etc etc..

It was pretty funny actually. lol.gif

Well, I'll concede the sheep jokes do have their time and place. Still think they're pretty flat most of the time though. Heard that one about the farmer not wanting to share his sheep with anyone far too many times. It's a bit like people reciting lines from 'Wayne's World'. The whole Aussies and Kiwis giving each other jib thing is usually pretty funny, even if the jokes aren't \:D

Basement Boy, I hear more hype on here about how Niseko is getting trashed than I ever see about it being the new hot resort. There might be some losers there who are giving Aussies a bad name, but they don't make or break a holiday.

Want to enjoy your Niseko holiday? Do the same as you would anywere: relax, smile, enjoy the powder, abuse your body, enjoy the powder some more, and abuse your body some more. If you meet a loser, give them a wide berth. How can you not have fun if you're not in the office and there is that much snow around? A holiday is a state of mind.

• 6 months later...

Well thought I would make my first post on here and this seems like a good topic to drag up again !

I am heading over to Niseko in Mid Feb. The hype surrounding Niseko in Aus at the moment is amazing. All the travel places are pushing it very hard, problem being now it's pretty much fully booked out until the end of Feb.

Any advice (apart from not being a drunken Yobbo)

Best places to eat

Quirky bars/places to eat

What to look out for

There are a ton (around 10-20) of us from a Australian ski forum heading across to Niseko over various weeks, around 20-30 heading to Furano as well!

Thanks \:\)

Maybe we should make a template-

Hi my name is___________.

I will be coming from__________, Australia with _____ friends to (please choose one) ski/snowboard at Niseko.

Where can we get good food, entertainment and other typical gaijin comforts etc etc..

Copy and paste and just fill in the blanks!

lol.gif

Can't these Aussies be a bit more adventurous. Niseko was the SH\T 5 years ago but now it is just the place where everyone goes to ride the "famous Japanese powder". Every second Aussie snowboarder/skier (increasingly wealthy, older skiers) has been there and it is just getting boring. Sure, for them Japan is a "new, cultural experience" but who wants to go all the way to Japan and be surrounded by Aussies, no matter how good the powder is. Get a map and do a bit of research yourself before heading down the local JETSET Travel Agent and grabbing a red-light special 5days/6nights ski-tour to Niseko. There are so many more options out there.

To hear that Niseko is fully booked next year makes me feel ill. Imagine the queues at the Gondola and Centre Four for first lifts?

I will definitely not be heading to that resort again in a very long time.