• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

I'd just like to make a comment here.

We try not to get involved in what is posted here* unless it gets really out of hand - and as can clearly be seen in this thread, there is often a response from the community in general to any claims that might seem incorrect. We don't feel it's for us to edit out what we feel is incorrect or disagree with. I'm not referring to the response in this thread, but in general I think it is really good that such posts and claims get responses.

About one comment you made there Sciclone... we do what we can to try and support the Japan winter sports scene. But that does not mean that any resorts or any compainy in particular has any influence on the content of our site or the way we run things here. They don't. We would actually rather prefer to have less income than to do what we feel is not right and be pushed about by commercial concerns. We're lucky to be able to be in the position to run things like that, and actually quite stubborn about it too!

wink

* Of course a handful of people who have had posts removed for whatever reason or wanted to take advantage of this community will disagree with that and have a good snigger, but they would probably disagree with anything that we say or do! wave

Originally Posted By: tripler
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
While there might not have been any big dumps, as Tubby said, the mountains are lower down than in comparison to the European mountains.

You're using small mountains as a justification for lack of snow? I don't think people who can choose between Japan, Europe or North America will be very impressed by that excuse.

eh...no we're not. My post (even although its Rob that you're replying to) said that people forget that the mountains over here are smaller and the resorts lower down compared to Europe, and INSPITE of this Japan gets snow that is comparable and in some places more than the higher resorts of the European Alps.
There is no excuses being made at all. .

So no big dumps means loads of of snow, sorry for misunderstanding you.

I never mentioned anything about "big dumps". Rob mentioned that there hadn't been any "big dumps" and then quoted what I had said. That being the mountains over here are of a lower elevation than those in Europe and N. America. So when people get hysterical this early in the season because of the lack of snow compared with European Resorts then its worth pointing out that our mountains are smaller and can take a little longer in the year before they get going. There is no excuses though as in years gone by there has been snow at this time of year in spite of the lower elevation of the mountains, just making an observation. If there still ain't any snow come this time next month then its "Sky is Falling" time

Fair enough SJ, I thought I read somewhere that you guys were in marketing but this site was seperate from all that? Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with some of those that run pensions/b&b's that aren't advertised.

Either way, negative or inaccurate information about conditions or the industry is not needed. And with so many of us on here that are rabid jap pow fans, we're quick to dispel any myths from those looking to push their own agenda..

• SnowJapan Admin

The site is part of a web design company which does marketing, yes. But it's kind of run in a way that is independent from that but at the same time benefits from not needing to survive solely on it's own. Anyway, there's a bit of background that might explain things a bit more if interested here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-andrew-lea.html

There's certainly a lot of agendas out there now.

I basically agree with what you're saying Sciclone and I'd be very happy if lots of those agendas didn't make it onto here!

friend

If you want to know what the real deal is with respect to the snow fall and depths this is the place. I must admit I also like the MikePows snow updates. You can't argue with someone who is commenting on the snow depth out the front of his house. Just stating the facts.

There are good times to be had on the mountain, even without 3 foot of fresh stuff....and it is OK to say so...

Originally Posted By: Sciclone
Either way, negative or inaccurate information about conditions or the industry is not needed.

Why? If people have negative points to make I'd like to hear them just as much as the positive ones. And who decides what "inaccurate information" is? Most of what I read here is just opinions. eg. Why do some resorts fail? That's not a how-many-days-are-there-in-December type question. Even things like annual snowfall, which I'd have thought could be pretty objective, are not very transparent.

The question "Will it snow in the 2009-10 season?", if you think that means the poster is saying it won't, you're being silly. To me it's just worrying about getting the desired amount of snow, which every resort in the world must have done at some point. A few years back it was doom and gloom in the French alps with poor seasons, then last one was the best for 50 years. Worrying about snow goes with the territory.

If it is constructive negative comments, then yes, would also like to hear them; however, if they are just negative out of spite, or uninformed, then agree with SJ, they don't have a time or place for them.

The original poster, as stated "will it snow..." infers a yes/no answer. If they had said "how much..." then it would have caused less disagreements.In fact, that has given me a good idea!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
If it is constructive negative comments, then yes, would also like to hear them; however, if they are just negative out of spite, or uninformed, then agree with SJ, they don't have a time or place for them.

But in practice you either have a censored or an uncensored board. I'd rather an uncensored one and trust myself to read between the lines about certain posters' motivations. What SJ actually said was he doesn't remove posts except in extreme cases.
  • SnowJapan Admin

It's quite interesting... some people jump up and down and get all flustered and 'outraged' when someone else posts something about somewhere that is dear to them that they feel is incorrect - demanding to us that it get we edit/delete it.

But then the same person will go ahead and think nothing of posting things about other places that others will consider to be totally incorrect and misleading about those places.

And on top of that will complain and once more be outraged if other things - things that are in our guidelines - are deleted.

It just all seems rather contradictory.

Most of this is done offline of course so everyone doesn't get to experience all this fun. Happily it's not many people who are like that. friend

Anyhow, where is that snow? sadface

But in practice you either have a censored or an uncensored board. I'd rather an uncensored one and trust myself to read between the lines about certain posters' motivations.

An uncensored one risks being flooded with comments either being malicious, promotional, whilst also being honest. However, if you don't now the person posting them, or their intentions, how can you read between the lines?
  • SnowJapan Admin

It's difficult that one.

One thing we do is that if someone registers and their first post is something way over the top and obviously malicious and/or promotional, then basically that post never gets to appear on the Forums. There's a fair few of them as well.

Like I said before if the Forums were a total free for all, it would very quickly decline into a real worthless mess. We'd prefer not to have to spend any time doing anything, but unfortunately the real world doesn't allow us that luxury if we care for the forums and the site.

friend

Well, I'm quite happy that the original comment was made. I didn't find it offensive, just laughable.

It's not a matter of sticking up for one copuntry over another, and SJ - I think you strike the right balance with your moderation.

SdS

Originally Posted By: SJForums
It's difficult that one.

One thing we do is that if someone registers and their first post is something way over the top and obviously malicious and/or promotional, then basically that post never gets to appear on the Forums. There's a fair few of them as well.

Like I said before if the Forums were a total free for all, it would very quickly decline into a real worthless mess. We'd prefer not to have to spend any time doing anything, but unfortunately the real world doesn't allow us that luxury if we care for the forums and the site.

friend

Basically people just think for themselves and are simply selfish and want what they want. Now. That's what it boils down to. I'd put money on it being someone with vested interest in the place. And also it being either Hakuba or Niseko. Right?
  • SnowJapan Admin

You won't get that info out of us gg. It's our policy not to name names or bring details of such things like that into public (however much we might want and feel justified to from time to time!)

It must be very difficult to not get frustrated at things like that, I'm sure find it difficult to not take personally. Good on you for keeping your own standards though and not taking the low roads in the face of these people.