Originally Posted By: Jynxx
thumbsup party MitchPee

and you can pray for my soul, we went shopping.
Where's that snow you were talking about weather-man ...

Hahahaha I will pray this instant. Which religion would you like that prayer in?
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tripler
Originally Posted By: Matt
Looks like a potential major system from mid december (14th/15th) on

http://wxmaps.org/pix/NHanim.html

Christmas should be fine.

Matt, 2 weeks ago (below) you said it would dump this week. You got that wrong, why should I believe you now?

Originally Posted By: Matt
Looks like nothing until the 3rd or 4th of December after which theres a nice system shaping up on the medium range wx forecast.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/NHanim.html

Early days yet, but should keep an eye on it.

Notice the words "potential" and "early days". That model is a 15 day ahead model which is pretty much the limit of being able to predict weather. That particular system is good for spotting trends in cold air coming down from Siberia.

Sometimes the system comes in a day or two earlier than predicted sometimes a day or two later than predicted by the model, sometimes weaker, sometimes stronger, but it usually comes in.

The system that looked strong 17 days ago coming in on the 4th, stalled and got weaker somewhere over the middle of Eurasia. Its arrived now and is producing the snow that has been falling since last night (12/6) in Hakuba.

So I still say that the trend for cold air coming down in mid December is looking good. Just hope it stays strong.

My first time on this site, thanks for having me. I am in Hokodate, came from Peru via Seoul and came up here hoping to ride a day or two. Its snowing fairly hard in town here at the moment. Lots of helpful info on this site, but can anyone tell me their opinion of where I should ride tomorrow? i.e. Niseko? and if so which resort. I can travel to any resort today to be ready tomorrow.Prefer the higher steeper stuff but then who doesnt smile

Sorry if this info is availble on the site and my ? is redundant, its a lot of info to sort out for a newbie.

You guys are great this is a useful site. MitchPee is Alta getting any snow this week?

Hi I am a first time user. I am in Hokodate and it is snowing pretty good here in town, I plan to go riding tomorrow and hoping someone could distill all the useful info on this site and tell me their opinion of which resort I should ride tomorrow. I like the steeper stuff but then who doesnt? smile

Thanks for the help and sorry if I:m asking for info already listed on this site, it is a lot to wade through for a newbie.

Originally Posted By: MachuPicchu
Hi I am a first time user. I am in Hokodate and it is snowing pretty good here in town, I plan to go riding tomorrow and hoping someone could distill all the useful info on this site and tell me their opinion of which resort I should ride tomorrow. I like the steeper stuff but then who doesnt? smile

Thanks for the help and sorry if I:m asking for info already listed on this site, it is a lot to wade through for a newbie.

You can try Niseko. It is snowing heavily there today and forecasted to continue tomorrow. Lots of info on the Niseko Now pages.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Leaving the forecast aside,
Do you guys reckon that the start of the season (Japan), by this I mean consistent snow condition, is about a couple of weeks behind compared to say, 20, 10, or 5 years ago?
Or rather you would say, it is not consistent anymore.
Up till 20 years ago I would say there were always snow at X'mas time and if we got snow early in Dec, it was WOW. We would go then and see the snow build up.

And this year, which counts the most and on topic - I think it's weird !
- It snowed in mid Oct~ early Nov in Tirol, where locals told me they have never seen happen in 25 years,
- Hasn't really snowed since then and when it should be snowing now. So really the season hasn't started for this year.
- It's not that cold.
- 5.6m in Whistler in Nov when ave. is 1.4m
- Snow in Texas. WTF

Its hard to say for Japan, as i didn't grow up here. You will hear things from 'locals' who have been here for maybe 15 years, who think they know what a 'normal' season is supposed to look like.
Don't listen to them, talk to someone ( a real local, like an ojisan or obasan) who has been around the hill for about 30 years. unstable seasons started gaining in frequecny in my home area from about 20 years ago, and the season has been reduced significantly.

from what i've seen and read, there are no more 'normal' seasons.
Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Phew that snowstorm from this morning seems to have subsided, unless it's still going on in Wadano.

Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed it was snowing this morning..

Heres the snowjapan report for today below.

Monday 7th December 2009, 1:17PM
Weather conditions: Clear skies
New snowfall: 0
Snow depth: 0
Light snow flurries this morning here in Hakuba, although not enough to even notice any accumulation. There were high winds last night and at higher elevations the colder temperatures allowed the snow to fall and stay. Slowly the snowline is creeping down the mountain, with any luck we should be able to ski the upper slopes soon!