Snow is forecast in Hokkaido from later Saturday and then on Tuesday things are really looking like a more normal winter pattern with a strong low developing to the north of Hokkaido dragging some very cold air and snow down throughout Japan. I think the cold weather will then stick around for the rest of the month and hopefully the rest of the winter. So I'm tipping next week we'll see the start of true winter in this part of the world.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Hopefully this weekend though hmmmmm. Still feels like autumn

It reached 19 degrees in Tokyo yesterday. It felt like early spring. I have to admit it felt good and a lot of people were enjoying the nice weather, but I'm looking forward to snow in Tokyo. It hasn't really snowed here for the past 2 years.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thursday, I've never seen Niseko this quiet. It's actually a little creepy... I was expecting there to be more people on the slopes because of the national holiday but thankfully no! Oh yeah, and it hasn't stopped snowing since we arrived smile

Originally Posted By: thursday
But Hana starts a half hour later than Ace

So what? You can't get to Hana from the Ace quad so you can still get first tracks and get to sleep in a little! All good in my book.
Because I live in Kutchan, Hanazono is closer to get to as well so I get to sleep in that little bit more. Plus there's no way I can ski all day at my age and I know the hill like the back of my hand so can always find some fresh tracks. So I usually don't worry about getting there to be 1st in line thus getting to sleep in just that little bit more.
I like sleeping in biggrin
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: thursday
But Hana starts a half hour later than Ace

Plus there's no way I can ski all day at my age and I know the hill like the back of my hand so can always find some fresh tracks. biggrin

Care to share your top 5 spots for freshies not far off the piste, only got a 6 days to find them myself, hardly enough... won't tell anyone....promise... groovy happy to compensate with beer! cheers biggrin

Yeah I just don't know about the sharing any secret spots, not that anything is all that secret anymore to be honest. The thing I love about Niseko is that I can ski most of the day without actually having to ski on-piste hardly at all. I actually very much dislike skiing on anything where I have to use the edges on my skis. I'm really not that good at that kind of skiing anymore. I love powder and the deeper the better.

There's hardly any treed area that isn't skiable and a lot of fun. My advice is get out there and explore and I'm not talking about ducking any ropes, there's heaps of great stuff without having to do that.

Plenty of areas I've found over the years just by following other tracks without actually knowing where'd I'd end up. Never ended up in any bad situations although I ski. Boarders can get into more difficult situations but hey you're boarders so I have no sympathy razz

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Plenty of areas I've found over the years just by following other tracks without actually knowing where'd I'd end up. Never ended up in any bad situations although I ski. Boarders can get into more difficult situations but hey you're boarders so I have no sympathy razz

Even for boarders...
Gotta take a few risks every now and again.
Getting stuck in a bit of powder is all part of the fun....and if you are not straying far from the trails, and riding with others what's the worst that can happen... (well maybe not the WORST but ya know what I mean) ... unclip and hike a mile...
Worth it!

Just seen gala yuzawa web-cam, the there was noone there - looks like they have closed for the day. omg

And just checked yahoo weather, snow predicted until next Thursday, well I say until, but that is when their prediction finishes.

Gala be closed. I wonder if that new down hill course will let them keep open more when there are strong winds. Actually I'll find that other thread for that discussion...