You got a fanboi?

Just because I don't have any of these, doesn't mean I don't keep my ear to the ground, talk to people who have, listen to all the talk, ask plenty of questions, listen to the answers.

I've also got plenty of reservations about windoze, but will always use the best tool for the job (if I can afford it) else, I'll do the best I can with what I can afford (or already have).

Problem?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just seen that one. Gets annoying after about 1 minute!

I want this! I want this!  

Fashionably over a barrel at least.....  

I think the point thursday is making is that you clearly have not spent time with it or understand it and it's potential. But are quick to come up with sweeping statements that are at times, incorrect.

I'm no fanboy. Got an ipod for my music.

I got the ipad coz I wanted to use the internet anywhere with a big screen. Oh, and it looked like a really cool gadget. And it most certainly is.

Can you use the web on a computer? Yep.

Can you download games on a computer? Yep.

Can you write documents on a computer? Yep.

Can you play games on a computer? Yep.

etc.

Can you do those things in such a truly effortless and elegant way, sat on the sofa? Or on a train? Or in bed? (Just examples!).

You sure can't.

And there are indeed countless things that you can't realistically do (without it being clumsy and not worth the effort) on a computer that you can do on here.

It's a fantastic idea, it really is.

Is it perfect? Nope. But it sure is more fun than a computer/netbook, and I'm glad to get rid of my notebook I always had on here in the house.

people would say they are open minded and defend with their lives that they are. But....

No offence JA, remember that saying about old dogs and new tricks? And look in the Iphone thread. I got a pic of you up there.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I think the point thursday is making is that you clearly have not spent time with it or understand it and it's potential. But are quick to come up with sweeping statements that are at times, incorrect.

Sorry? How incorrect?

I'm no fanboy. The got an ipod for my music. I got the ipad coz I wanted to use the internet anywhere. Oh, and it looked like a really cool gadget. And it most certainly is.

Cool is NOT the most important thing in the world

Can you use the web on a compute? Yep.
Can you download games on a computer? Yep.
Can you write documents on a computer? Yep.
Can you play games on a computer? Yep.
etc.

Can you do those things in such an effortless and elegant way, sat on the sofa?
You sure can't.

So, Here I am, sat on my easy chair, in front of the Telly, typing to you.
Could I download a game if I felt the need to do so? YES, I CAN!
Am I writing a document on the computer? YES I AM! (oh, and can you get that 'pad document to your desk computer without having to send it through email? - nope, didn't think so, my documents are stored on the network drive in the home office).
Could I play a game? Actually +1 is doing that exact thing right now. YES I CAN!

And, the funny thing is that neither of us has a 'pad. Both using windoze machines and doin' just fine thanks.

And there are indeed countless things that you can't realistically do (without it being clumsy and not worth the effort) on a computer that you can do on here.

Such as??

It's a fantastic idea, it really is.

That's nice for you. If you believe that, then I really am happy for you.

BUT I believe that there is NO way to get content other than through the istore (or so I've heard) is a bit of a bummer. I can download from any number of sites, getting the downloaded documents either direct into the local PC or onto the network drive. I can also install that download onto any one of the nine other computers in the home. Not something that can be done with ipad, i believe.

Hmmmm I really can't be arsed to reply to that lot JA.

At the risk of being seen to back down. lol

And you do seem very convinced, so it would probably be futile anyway.

Doesn't matter really does it,.... I'll enjoy it.

You won't.

Let's friend.

wave

As I said, If you enjoy it, then that's nice for you.

I happen to be happy with the system as I have it here.

Friends? Yeah, why not! wave kiss

One of the main appeals of the ipad (and other tablets to follow) that I can see is the touch interface and all that brings to applications. And it is only apparent when you have spent a bit of time 'hands on'.

I don't see computers doing that, certainly not in any way like this device does it.

that money making machine, AppStore is just hilarious.

Came across an app that is supposed to make your iphone into a mirror for making up or whatever. 99cents. Great. thumbsup

All it does is turn your screen black rollabout Can't believe so many people fell for that.

Some people really are stupid.

It's difficult to choose who to condem - the people for robbing other peoples money, or the idiots who press pay.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
One of the main appeals of the ipad (and other tablets to follow) that I can see is the touch interface and all that brings to applications. And it is only apparent when you have spent a bit of time 'hands on'.

I don't see computers doing that, certainly not in any way like this device does it.

Muika, I appreciate your points, however, touch screens have been around almost since Adam was a pup, I have a small touch screen PC which allows me to operate on the OS without the need for a keyboard. Not a lot new (except the multi touch zoom swipe) in the interface, really!

Anyway, I thought that Apple were saying that the 'pad WAS a computer - just a 'different' one.

Touch screens may well have been around for a while, but please show me a pc that executes one anywhere near as elegantly as the ipad does. (I can't think of one). It's very existence is based on touchscreen and it pulls it off brilliantly.

Elegant, yep! I'll give you that, but the lack of flash and external connectivity is a MAJOR bummer. Means the unit is tied firmly to the iStore for content - guess where Apple makes their money?

Quote:
Elegant, yep! I'll give you that, but the lack of flash and external connectivity is a MAJOR bummer.

Whoah, thats a mighty hasty exit from the touchscreen argument! wink

I would guess that the tied firmly to the AppStore could also be seen as a strength. Ease of use. Absolutely no compatability issues. Playing to the strengths of the hardware, etc.

Apple is a company, right? I would guess making money is a legit activity for them.

I don't have one btw, but might get one or equivelant, I am tempted.

Not exiting the "argument" (although I'd prefer to say "discussion") just accepting that the 'pad has an elegant interface. It will not be alone in that for long though.

Apart from the multitouch "gestures" what is new? Not much.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Quote:
Apart from the multitouch "gestures" what is new? not much

What are you on. It's only defined a whole new area of computing. It's only merged nerdom into mainstream.

What more you want? A rocket ute?

It'd be helpful IF you quoted the whole statement and then addressed the earlier part.

What I said is reinserted into the quote which you didn't bother to attribute. So ... what is this "whole new area of computing" that has been defined?

Merged nerdom into mainstream? OR made nerdom still less affordable and restrictive? Where do you get the "killer apps" from, again? Download from the net? (sorry, not unless you get them from OUR store - restrictive trade practices, anyone?)
Originally Posted By: griller
Had a play around with one in the shop last night.

Very swish. Heavier than I imagined, but then again it does look pretty amazing. Cpn Kirk would have wanted one of these.

And HE's imaginary, too!
Originally Posted By: JA

Very swish. Heavier than I imagined, but then again it does look pretty amazing. Cpn Kirk would have wanted one of these.

And HE's imaginary, too!

too? confused
Originally Posted By: miller
Originally Posted By: JA

And HE's imaginary, too!

too? confused