• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a very interesting conversation with a girlfriend who is married to a doctor. Her husband feels the biggest fear he has is that because we are going into winter with the swine flu and there are so many other flu's around if it mutates with one of these other flu's that is when there is going to be a problem. The swine flu is so contagious and if it mutates into something similar to the Spanish Flu then we could see deaths from it.

SO I AM NOW OFF TO BY A MASK !!!! veryshocked

Snowhuntress - I got that message from hubby via a Health Dept person (at the end of a phone in Melbourne), but yet the Dr who has been the spokesperson for WA interviews from the Health Dept here told me face to face that it only has a 15% transmission rate, so even people in the same family are unlikley to contract it from a sufferer....

Who's telling the truth or are they making it up as they go along!!!

They made thier decision Thursday!

Quote:
Hong Kong has closed all primary schools, kindergartens and child care centres for two weeks in an attempt to control the spread of the AH1N1 swine flu virus.

The decision was taken after 12 students at a secondary school were found to have contracted the disease.

High schools will remain open because teenagers are not believed to be as vulnerable as younger children

But I have to say WTF?

Closing all little kids centres because HIGH SCHOOL kids tested positve, but not HIGH SCHOOLS?

There's some logic for ya.

Now the cynic in me says - the schools reopen in two weeks - in two weeks time the Swine Flu will be circulating thru the community ... and the little kids will get it then. What have we achieved except a massive disruption to schooling/work/everyday lives. I say that as an informed mother who has complied with regulations and recommendations and kept my own kids home for a week - but I am not so niave as to believe they are now 'safe'. For goodness sake - they just had a week off when they were well - and in the coming weeks the likelihood is that they will catch it and spend a week at home sick. Different if it was at a containable stage - but that stage is long past.

As of 14:00 GMT today, the WHO has raised the threat level of Influenza A H1N1 to Phase 6 - "pandemic". Of course, as everybody knows, this doesn't mean the flu has become more virulent or deadly - it just means it has become established in a greater number of countries worldwide.

The researcher in charge was reticent in raising the level in an interview a few days ago, because he believed certain ill-informed, reactionary countries would use this to forment panic, and it would lead to inappropriate measures being taken. Too late dude! The PRC banned the importation of North American pork and pork products several "phases" ago! More inappropriate? How about the one pig in Afghanistan that has been put in quarantine!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
They made thier decision Thursday!

Quote:
Hong Kong has closed all primary schools, kindergartens and child care centres for two weeks in an attempt to control the spread of the AH1N1 swine flu virus.

The decision was taken after 12 students at a secondary school were found to have contracted the disease.

High schools will remain open because teenagers are not believed to be as vulnerable as younger children

But I have to say WTF?
Closing all little kids centres because HIGH SCHOOL kids tested positve, but not HIGH SCHOOLS?
There's some logic for ya.

This is what happens when trained administrators become leaders.
Originally Posted By: thursday
do they have pigs in a muslim country?

It's in the Kabul zoo . The pig is a popular curiosity there, since most people don't come in contact with them because pork is not halal.

haha a pig in a zoo!! Reminds me of Zoorasia in Yokohama where they have Seagulls as an exhibit!! I can see them at the bloody beach thanks!! I was half expecting the next exhibit to be a dog!! lol

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Parents 'organising swine flu parties to ensure their children contract the virus before winter'

There are fears that parents are taking their children to ‘swine flu parties’ in the hope they will catch the disease now and build up immunity.

Discussions over whether parents should take steps to acquire immunity before the main flu season in the winter, when the virus is expected to be more potent, have taken place on family website mumsnet.

One user posted: 'Great idea. Get it now while it's mild and there's plenty of tamiflu. There could be a swine flu party.'

It follows the practice of parents deliberately exposing their children to playmates with chickenpox in order to allow them to have the once-only disease at a convenient time.

But today British Medical Association expert Dr Richard Jarvis warned against taking the same approach with swine flu.

His warning came the day after news emerged of the first death of a child with swine flu in the UK.

I haven't been following UK news the last few weeks so surprised to read this this morning

More than 100,000 swine flu cases could be diagnosed every day by the end of next month, the Health Secretary has warned. Britain has moved past the stage of trying to contain the spread of the virus and into the “treatment phaseâ€, Andy Burnham told the House of Commons.

Cases of the H1N1 virus were doubling each week in Britain and could reach six figures daily by the end of August if current trends continued, he added. Anyone with flu-like symptoms will be advised to stay at home and telephone their GP for advice. Doctors have warned that “several million†people could become ill as the flu season returns in autumn and winter.

Mr Burnham emphasised that most people who had become infected with the virus had developed only mild symptoms but widespread disruption to the economy is expected as people take days off work with flu.

more cases, quite a few deaths. 3 yr old was the lastest - prior to him it seemed all of the deaths were in adults with underlying or serious conditions.

There are a HEAP of viruses around at the moment. Everyone seems to be sick. Hubby has staff off left right and centre, kids sport teams are struggling to field full teams each week, and I think I would have been lucky to have had ONE day in the last month without at least one of my kids off school in bed sick. Not JUST swine flu doing the rounds, but perhaps the presence of swine flu in addition to other virii (is that even a word) is making an impact.

Remember your masks, UK folk! wink

[quoite]Britain now has the third highest number of cases of swine flu in the world after America and Mexico, where the virus was first reported.

An estimated 8,000 people are thought to have contracted the disease in Britain in the last week, from around 27,000 who called their GP complaining of the flu.