• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Swine Flu Confirmed cases here in Aus!! Must be slow news day as we haven't heard anything for a few days.

My girlfriend just arrived from American and surprised me on Saturday night. We have spent each day with her and now I am questioning her that she feels okay - not fluey - no sore throat??? I think she thinks I have gone insane. I never gave it a second thought as I was so excited to see her.

Can I also just inquiry, from reading the forums it sounds that Swine Flu is spreading in Japan??? We here NOTHING of any outbreaks in Japan at all. I wonder if that is because Jet Star have just done such a big advertising campaign for their flights daily to and from Osaka in to Coolangatta??

Well well well... it is back in the headlines here.

3 new cases over night.

The most worrying being the most recent - a 17yr old who has not recently travelled overseas or been in contact with a known sufferer of swine flue.

The previous two were the first two to have 'caught' it on Aussie soil - but from a known source who had brought it back from the US.

As we are just now getting in to our traditional flu season I predict there will be a rush on antiviral drugs - many cases of old strains of flu being thought to be swine flu - but also quite a signifigant spread of actual swine flu. Hand washing, immune system boosting and sensible avoidance of infected people seems like good options right now.

They showed a genius idea last night on the news. Someone was selling boxes of 60 masks for 10 times the RRP on Yahoo auctions. 19,000yen!!!

Mamabear - there is a new business opportunity for you! Buy 100 boxes of 60 in bulk and sell on eBay.com.au 2 weeks from now when panic peaks.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
With or without the high temperatures, coughs and improved Spanish abilities?

sure...a day off work is a day off work!!! smile

The other day in work had a sore throat with having to talk over the kids etc etc in class, when 1 of the teachers asked if I was ok. I glibly said that it was only Mexican Influenza and you should have seen the look of horror on their faces!!! lol It was priceless, seems Japanese don't really do sarcasm!!
Originally Posted By: The japan Times
According to Maeda, out of the 70 passengers who were on the Continental Airlines flight to Narita on Tuesday with the two students, 11 are considered to have been in heavy contact with them, eight of whom are non-Japanese citizens.

What, exactly, is heavy contact? Is it nookie?

Now here is a question for everyone. We went through this when equine influenza hit.

Would you tell people if you caught Swine Flu????? There were a number of people during EI that didn't tell people that their horses had it because of discrimination, isolation and loss of business!!!

My mate knows a guy...

...(bare with me)...

who is a PHd in chemistry or something and he is actively trying to *catch* it while it is still in it's weak strain. Innoculation!

Originally Posted By: bobby12

Mamabear - there is a new business opportunity for you! Buy 100 boxes of 60 in bulk and sell on eBay.com.au 2 weeks from now when panic peaks.

Why me?
I got more work that I can handle already - give that gig to SOMEONE ELSE!!
Off to crack a bottle of Verve and have a night off tonight - bloody well deserved too....and not a single mask in sight wink

Heavy contact:

Methinks that would be when you sit on the seats behind and in front of and directly to the side of someone who was coughing and spluttering for hours on a flight. I had that on a flight Perth to Canberra last ski season - I was sure the guy was gonna die on the flight he was hocking up the grossest goobers and making the most disgusting sounds - seriously should have been denied passage.

Would I tell someone?

Yes.

A) If I had it I would vountarily quarantine myself and my family.

B) I would want friends that I had contact with prior to symptoms but after I was infectious to get early access to antiviral meds.

C) Not like it is contagious AFTER you have recovered.

Yes you would be a leper while you are sick - as it should be - would it taint you for the rest of your life ...no ...this is not an illness that you now have forever and can transmit to everyone else...

Lets get real here - few people die of swine flu and we all rush for the masks for protection.

How many more people have die due to HIV/AIDS and yet so many of us still refuse to use a condom for protection.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

C) Not like it is contagious AFTER you have recovered.

Am afraid it doesn't work like that, just because you have recovered, doesn't mean you have got rid of the pathogen.