• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still blissfully panicking here.

Every other flight has an infected student returning for summer break from the states or Canada.

No symptoms on the flight but as soon as they land they have a fever. Despite this, they still manage to catch public transport, go home, go to restaurants BEFORE thinking about see a doc or going to hospital.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

C) Not like it is contagious AFTER you have recovered.

Am afraid it doesn't work like that, just because you have recovered, doesn't mean you have got rid of the pathogen.

But there is only a certain contagion window...
You are not suggesting that once you contract Swine Flu you are able to pass it on weeks, months or years after you have recovered - are you?

BTW: I have a cold today - I am in Perth - so it is not SWINE Flu ...but I feel like cr@p. Headache, chills, runny nose, sore throat, aches and pains and earaches. GREAT! Cooking a big pot of chicken soup for dinner and been chugging Antioxidant shots and echinacea like it is going out of fashion.

Had a client ask me today if they canceled their trip in the case that swine flu spread more throughout Japan would that be ok and could they get their deposit back! Of course the answer was no...

And MB hope you realise that most clinical trials on the efficacy of echinacea in the treatment or prevention of colds has shown it has virtually no more effect than a placebo. But hey I guess if you think it's doing you some good then there's a chance it might help!

Yeah Echinacea has never seemed to help for me....only one that I can claim I feel has reduced the severity of illness has been Oliviral (Olive Leaf Extract). Particularly with respiratory issues - which is an area that really effects me, I can roll with a runny nose or aches and pains, but I tend to stress when I am coughing and spluttering. But I have run out - so should probably go get some more.

Other things that I thoroughly believe helps is chicken soup made with the full chicken carcass - something about boilng those bones seems to help people get better quicker.

But whatever gives comfort when you are ill can only aid in recovery. My plan - drink lots of water, eat well, sleep lots and pander to my sookieness.

Hey MB Sorry to hear you have the flu.

NOW my question is?? With all the panic about Swine Flu, quarantine, reporting it etc etc. There is a flu going around at the coast at the moment that is really knocking people and laying them up for about a week and it seems to be vey contagious (not swine flu) WHY is there such much concern about the swine flu.

Reports here are that people are getting over it in a day or so and seem to be fine. Where as the flu that went through my husbands work layed EVERYONE up for about a week.

Sorry I am just finding it hard to work out!!

The concern lays in the fact that there seems to be the odd case that is deadly of Swine Flu and because they do not know enough about it, and have not established a pattern yet the fear is that the mild infections are the tip of a deadly iceberg.

However infections as they spread seem to be in the main the mild variety - so I think concern is lessening.

The powers that be a right to be cautious - at least until there is a vaccine developed - but seems it was not as serious as once thought.

Reading today on ABC news page that girl who flew back from USA had just a mild flu and assumed that because it was not horrendous that it could not be swine flu. It was only that swabs were taken at the airport because she filled on the questionairre with responses YES YES and YES to chills, fever, runny nose and the like that they discovered she had it.

So here I am sniffling my way through the day.

Took a cold and flu tablet to dry up my nose and appear 99% well for a job today - it has now worn off and I am nose blowing, sneezing and coughing.

So I was musing...obviously I do not think I have swine flu ...I dont even think it is a flu - just regular old head cold. But thats what this lass thought too... maybe there are a lot of people who have got Swine flu, or had swine flu who were unaware and it is way more prevalant than we think....

Or maybe it is my fuzzy head talking...

OMG!

Now it is getting very silly - and very invasive.

Fellow in Perth diagnosed with Swine Flu - mild symptoms. Had returned from USA with it and is now in quarantine with his wife and 8 kids.

TV crews staked out thier house and filmed a family member leaving the house on 3 occasions today.

Snowhuntress - your Qu re would you admit it if you got it seems less comical now!!!

A. Silly peoples are QUARANTINED! They shouldnt have been breaking quarantine.

B. How appalling that the family's privacy is being invaded by having thier home staked out!

doh

Originally Posted By: thursday
8 kids??? veryshocked did they adopt?

Heard rumor the guy is a somali refugee today...little bit of a crossover in stories there. Not too sure why a somali refugee with 8 kids would be gallivanting around the US picking up Swine Flu and then sending his wifey on shopping trips against quarantine protocol...
...shall be worth watching this story develop...

This whole thing really has become ridiculous. I believe that in the last week only 13 people worldwide have died from this flu strain. In a normal week 650-1300 people die from your everyday regular variety of flu. Which one should you be more scared of I wonder? I really do despair at how easy it is to scare the ignorant masses of humanity out there...