Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
No he's just a guy in the office. What I meant was he's the the kind of guy who is amazed at you using chopsticks after 10 years, 'foreigners wouldn't understand', etc etc. There's probably one like him in most offices we work in -

prolly related to Ishihara wink
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's understandable seeing as there is no mass outbreak in Aus. Whereas in the states, there are more and more cases with more deaths being reported and still they are ignoring it.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
You OK rach? I am worried.
Did you see the dudes in Tokyo yesterday having their meeting. All wearing masks. In Tokyo. Where there's, like, no cases.

OK! Watching movies groovy
Originally Posted By: thursday
that's understandable seeing as there is no mass outbreak in Aus. Whereas in the states, there are more and more cases with more deaths being reported and still they are ignoring it.

The average number of deaths each year in the US attributed to the normal flu is around 30,000, so over 80 per day. So far in the US the swine flu has infected what about 70 and killed only 1 person? Hardly devastating and not even nearly as bad as the normal flu. Good to see that the US isn't reacting to the ridiculous hysteria being created by the media.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
So far in the US the swine flu has infected what about 70 and killed only 1 person?

I think you may need to check your facts about that. I dont remember offhand, but on the news last night I'm sure they were saying something like 8000 infected in the US and about 80 dead.

However in principle I agree with you, its comlpete overreaction and next week it will be business as usual. Attempts to confine it are useless anyway - mask? washing hands more? closing schools? the kids are all out in groups at karaoke and pachinko so what use was closing schools? 100% curfew is the only way to get close to containing it and that will never happen.

Yeah bit behind, found the following

Quote:
On Monday, the CDC was reporting 5,123 U.S. cases of swine flu in 48 states, and six deaths. For the most part, the infections continue to be mild and recovery is fairly quick.

Also this

Quote:

MONDAY, May 18 (HealthDay News) -- While most cases of swine flu continue to be no worse than seasonal flu, the death rate from the new H1N1 virus is slightly higher than that seen with seasonal flu, U.S. health officials said Monday.

"Our best estimate right now is that the fatality [rate] is likely a little bit higher than seasonal influenza, but not necessarily substantially higher," Dr. Anne Schuchat, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's interim deputy director for science and public health program, said during an afternoon teleconference.

It is not unusual in the US to have up near 70000 deaths in a year with a particularly virulent form of the flu. The swine flu appears to be only a little more virulent than a normal case of the flu. So just a big media beat up about another flu strain that may kill a couple more percent than is normal...

I suppose when it is your time it is your time.

On the weekend Papa played rugby in the G4's with his team mates. One of the guys completed the game, had a beer with the boys, a shower, said goodbye and headed to his car.

He was found in his drivers seat, car running - gone - half an hour later. The boys did CPR until the Ambo's arrived but they knew it was futile - and the ambo's never even tried. Done deal.

Very sad.

Be it swine flu, seasonal flu or a heart attack - best we can do is be aware of the things that increase our risk and take reasonable precautions to keep the spectre of death at bay. But in the end - if your time is up, it is up.

As I said earlier in this thread I have no problem with major precautions being taken initially when a new flu strain comes out because it is unkonown how bad it will become.

In this case though it's becoming pretty obvious that this flu strain isn't all that bad. Remember in the US alone in an average year there are more than 80 deaths per day from the normal flu.

Think I may have caught it....I have a sore throat, a bit of a temperature, I feel crappy and my nose is running....oh and my Spanish improved 100 fold!! wink

In my office we are coming through the other side. Id say mask usage is dropping 10% each day now compared to the peak on monday/tuesday.

The whole thing is a joke, masks dont do anything and the flu is not especially deadly.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Mask usage up by a ton this morning out and about.

How's things down there now. You at work still CB?

we are barely above 1/3 of our kids being absent, so yup still working! like a dawg as usual!!